Re: 30-in-30: Blues

Here's my hopeful prediction for this year.

D Jaskin has a breakout season. 25 goals 30 assists. We all saw the talent this youngster has and he's not a rookie anymore. I really like how the Blues have managed this kids development.

With TJ gone somebody has to be that RW who steps up into the first 2 lines. Tank has one spot.

Schwartz Backes Jaskin ?

Steen Backes Jaskin?

He's got the tools, he's got size, his skating could be a little better. On a line with shifty Schwartz and Backes making room he's got a great opportunity to lift his game and the Blues. I think he's got the goal scoring hunger like tank does.

Let's Go Blues!

I think Jaskin is primed to get 20 goals, which is no small task. I really like his size and attitude.

This team has gained some size with Jaskin, Lindbohm, Bort and now Brouwer. Parayko will soon be a regular, too. I like it.

I also really hope Fabbri gets a fair shot, and he sticks with the big club. The kid is an offensive dynamo.

I think 20-25 goals is certainly achievable, but I doubt he gets 30+ assists to go along with them. I'd expect him to get around 15-20 assists, depending on who he's playing with. Remember, he was still bouncing up and down between the Blues and Chicago until mid-December last year, and he still only has 74 NHL games under his belt.

20+ goals and around 40 points and I'll be VERY happy with his progress!

It all depends on where Backes ends up, Center or RW. If David is centering that 3rd line, the Jaskin gets 40 without much issue. If David is the top RW, then Jaskin gets 30+ on that 3rd line. Interesting to see how this ends up.

The problem Jaskin has is that he has two RW's (Brouwer and Tarasenko) that will slot above him, so he'll really need to show something in camp to end up on a scoring line. Even if he switches to LW, he has Schwartz and Steen to contend with. Uphill battle for the kid on a scoring line.

Hockey Pete wrote:It all depends on where Backes ends up, Center or RW. If David is centering that 3rd line, the Jaskin gets 40 without much issue. If David is the top RW, then Jaskin gets 30+ on that 3rd line. Interesting to see how this ends up.

Agree.

If the third line is Bergy Backes Brouwer

And Jaskin gets 2nd line minutes and some PP time I think 40 points is a real good target.

Thinking about left wing depth:

Steen
Schwartz
Berglund
Ott

I don't see Fabbri making this team. I don't see him making one of the top two spots and he shouldn't be playing on the bottom 2 lines.

Maybe a trade or an injury gets him some games, but I just don't see him making the cut.

39hurricane wrote:Thinking about left wing depth:

Steen
Schwartz
Berglund
Ott

I don't see Fabbri making this team. I don't see him making one of the top two spots and he shouldn't be playing on the bottom 2 lines.

Maybe a trade or an injury gets him some games, but I just don't see him making the cut.
3 things:

1) Why can't he play on the third line? Stastny, our highest-paid player, played there last year.
2) It's more than just LW depth. Berglund and Ott can both play center, and Fabbri has played all three positions, so when factoring in Fabbri's playing time you have to look at the big picture.
3) Based on what I saw from Ott last year, I think he's at his best when he has a lot of energy, which means that he should be seeing plenty of time on the bench this year. And I don't have a problem with Berglund on the fourth line either.

Steen
Schwartz
Berglund
Ott

Now you're scaring me...

Hockey Pete wrote:

Steen
Schwartz
Berglund
Ott

Now you're scaring me...
Wierd right? Let me guess what number you're thinking of right now....