Re: Adidas lands NHL jersey deal

you're right, it would seem that this would go into the pool that determines the cap. but really, that only affects players' salaries insofar as we're talking about cap teams. it would effectively only serve to widen the gap between floor & ceiling teams. again i say: fuck this idea.

If NHL jerseys ends up looking like European ones where the only thing clearly definable is the color of the jersey I will be very disappointed that the drive for the all mighty dollar has surpassed just plain common sense. I suspect that day is coming and I am not looking forward to it in the least. Unlike T.C. I don't think I can just quit watching, but if it's bad enough, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that I give up watching every game. I won't be able to quit the playoffs, but the regular season could be reduced to box scores to see what happened.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

stlblues1226 wrote:
T.C. wrote:the people who sign the checks run the show. if some clown wanted a $50MM/yr contract and no one signed him, he'd be gone or take less. the owners set salary caps just as much as the actual cap and NHLPA. ads on jerseys would have zero effect on salaries, only on income of the owners. either hockey is healthy (see: expansion talk) or it isn't (see: ads on jerseys talk). if it's healthy, ads on jerseys is pure greed by governors/owners. fuck them.
Wouldn't money from ads on jerseys be considered hockey related revenue and therefore be included in the all mighty hockey related revenue that determines the salary cap? This is from the current CBA:

Hockey Related Revenues, Club Affiliated Entity and League Affiliated Entity.

(a) "Hockey Related Revenues." "Hockey Related Revenues" or "HRR" for each
League Year means the operating revenues, including Barter (as defined below), from all
sources, whether known or unknown, whether now in existence or created in the future
, as
expressly set forth in this Section 50.1(a), of each Club or the League, for or with respect to that
League Year, as expressly set forth in this Section 50.1(a), on an accrual basis, derived or earned
from, relating to or arising directly or indirectly out of the playing of NHL hockey games
or
NHL-related events in which current NHL Players participate or in which current NHL Players'
names and likenesses are used, by each such Club or the League, or attributable directly to the
Club or the League from a Club Affiliated Entity or League Affiliated Entity, as expressly set
forth herein, and is subject to any inclusions or exclusions as expressly set forth in the Article 50.

The parts in red seems to me (and I sure as hell am not any sort of lawyer) would have to mean that any income from placing ads on the uniforms would count towards the salary cap.

If someone is better at reading the legal mumbo jumbo that is this CBA please correct me if I'm wrong. For some reason I have a PDF of the CBA but it does seem to come in handy at times.

You are correct. Jersey ad money goes to HRR, which benefits players by raising salary cap.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I too want to see the blues make money any way possible so we don't have another checketts esque rebuild/ stripping of the team when stillman decides he can't dump any more money in to this team.
However, I also don't want to see the sweaters that look euro/roller hockey-ish. Those are gaudy and hard to look at.
Now if the blues win the cup in those bastardized advertisement sweaters, I'm sure I'll be perfectly ok with it.