Re: Miklasz out at PD

I've never been impressed by his hockey knowledge, which, it seems to me, falls below that of Jeff Gordon, and well below that of JRs, and, possibly even below Goold's. But, he was on the point in some of his general analyses. I won't miss his columns' comments being discussed here.

I don't read The PD, - so i don't care. Local, St. Louis, coverage of The Blues is not at a level I'd like it to be. Bernie's removal as a columnist doesn't affect me much.

Robb_K wrote:I've never been impressed by his hockey knowledge, which, it seems to me, falls below that of Jeff Gordon, and well below that of JRs, and, possibly even below Goold's. But, he was on the point in some of his general analyses. I won't miss his columns' comments being discussed here.

I don't read The PD, - so i don't care. Local, St. Louis, coverage of The Blues is not at a level I'd like it to be. Bernie's removal as a columnist doesn't affect me much.

I'm sorry.....JR's hockey knowledge? That guy doesn't even know who Craig Janney is without Google.

He's the kind of guy that elicits strong opinions about him one way or another. People either really enjoy him or really don't. I am very glad he is back on the radio and I will now have 3 hours of quality sports talk radio to listen to while at work.

CaptSMRT wrote:
Robb_K wrote:I've never been impressed by his hockey knowledge, which, it seems to me, falls below that of Jeff Gordon, and well below that of JRs, and, possibly even below Goold's. But, he was on the point in some of his general analyses. I won't miss his columns' comments being discussed here.

I'm sorry.....JR's hockey knowledge? That guy doesn't even know who Craig Janney is without Google.

But do Jeff Gordon and Bernie know any more than JR? I doubt that the difference matters.

Fred Garvin wrote:He's the kind of guy that elicits strong opinions about him one way or another. People either really enjoy him or really don't. I am very glad he is back on the radio and I will now have 3 hours of quality sports talk radio to listen to while at work.
Bernie always had a great show. There's been a huge hole in sports radio since he left. God love Chris Duncan's effort, but it's just not good once he tries to talk something other than baseball. You can hear him reading his points from the blog he found them on. Same with Farr and football.

Has there been a specific 'Why?' stated yet?

I remember he did both radio and print before and left radio because he wanted to focus soley on the Post Dispatch and the demand was becoming too much for him and sports writing was his passion.

Curious as to why the switch back to radio. Wonder if this was solely his decision or a mutual split for him and the PD wanting to bring in a new voice?

Oates2Hullie450 wrote:For PD readers like myself who may be interested Bernie Miklasz has announced he's leaving the Post Dispatch afer 26 years.
In the late 90's I played in a charity golf tourney and met Bernie. Seemed like a nice enough guy and we hit it off. A week later I was at Yacovelli's in Florissant for Father Dunne's Old NewBoys dinner and auction to benefit Marygrove. I waved to get his attention from across the room and wound up the highest bidder ($1250.00) on a week in a condo in Gulf Shores, AL.

CaptSMRT wrote:He banned me from STLTODAY forums for posting a picture of his face Photoshopped on Jabba the Hutt.
He blocked me on Twitter for pointing out that goaltending wasn't the reason the Blues lost to LA in 2013. He then accused me of being a drunk.

wizard pork sword wrote:Has there been a specific 'Why?' stated yet?

I remember he did both radio and print before and left radio because he wanted to focus soley on the Post Dispatch and the demand was becoming too much for him and sports writing was his passion.

Curious as to why the switch back to radio. Wonder if this was solely his decision or a mutual split for him and the PD wanting to bring in a new voice?
Bernie posted the reason for leaving in a thread on his forum with the PD. For those interested the link is below, FYI it's a long, detailed post.

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/vie ... 8&start=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Time-n-Space wrote:
wizard pork sword wrote:Has there been a specific 'Why?' stated yet?

Bernie posted the reason for leaving in a thread on his forum with the PD. For those interested the link is below, FYI it's a long, detailed post.

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/vie ... 8&start=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seems like a genuine guy. good luck to him. picked a great time to get out of one dying medium and go all-in on another.

I'm not a big fan of Bernie because I think his radio/TV delivery is very unprofessional and he resorts to name calling towards those who disagree with him. However, I do believe he loves the Blues and hockey and he knows a lot more about hockey than most Blues fans give him credit. After all, he began his career as a hockey beat writer in Baltimore.

While I may personally dislike his demeanor and delivery, I also believe Blues fans are way too quick to dismiss him altogether concerning his knowledge of hockey.

barcthespark wrote:I'm not a big fan of Bernie because I think his radio/TV delivery is very unprofessional and he resorts to name calling towards those who disagree with him. However, I do believe he loves the Blues and hockey and he knows a lot more about hockey than most Blues fans give him credit. After all, he began his career as a hockey beat writer in Baltimore.

While I may personally dislike his demeanor and delivery, I also believe Blues fans are way too quick to dismiss him altogether concerning his knowledge of hockey.
I find hockey fans in general to be obnoxious and dismissive of what they consider to be outsiders. Seriously, it's sports not brain surgery. It's not that hard to figure things out, but amongst sports fans hockey fans are by far the most defensive. As if being a die hard hockey fan is somehow a closed club membership that you need approval to get into. :lol: Hockey fans are very much "us against the world." I just find it funny.