Are We Really a Better Team?

After looking at each lineup from the last two playoff teams, I'd say we are pretty even with last years team on paper. The team will go into next season (hopefully) with a fully healthy team. Bouwmeester, Stastny, and Lehtera never looked the same after their injuries. Rehab and rest should do all of them good (more conditioning for Lehtera would be nice).

My projected lines for the beginning of next season are:

Schwartz / Stastny / Jaskin
Fabbri / Lehtera / Tarasenko
Steen / Backes / Brouwer
Berglund / Brodziak / Reaves
(Paajarvi, Ott)

Bouwmeester / Pietrangelo
Lindbohm / Shattenkirk
Gunnarson / Bortuzzo
(Butler)

Allen
Elliott

- Fabbri will make the team and make up the offensive production that is lost from the Oshie-Brouwer trade.

- Brouwer will produce more points in a role similar to what Jaskin and Berglund served last year.

- Jaskin scored at a 19.6 goal pace last year playing with Stastny and Berglund and getting limited minutes. Not bad for a rookie. This season he will get an enlarged role with better linemates. 22 Goals and around 20 assists would be awesome.

- Backes and Stastny will swap roles. Backes is better fitted for the third line and will be better rested for playoff hockey.

- The defensive pairings may not seem the best, but they are definitely the most balances we've seen in recent years, IMO.

- Oshie may have gotten too many minutes under his belt. He is a flashy player and at times is too flashy and it costs the team. Replacing him with a guy like Brouwer may work better for us.

Below are the lineups from game 6 of the last two playoff series. Whether the Blues are a better team or not will be known next summer.

Game 6 - Blues vs. Hawks 2014
* player was injured

Steen / Sobotka / Tarasenko*
Schwartz / Backes* / Oshie*
Ott / Berglund* / Roy
Cracknell / Lappierre / Reaves

Bouwmeester / Pietrangelo
Jackman / Shattenkirk
Leopold / Polak

Miller
Elliott

Game 6 - Blues vs. Wild 2015

Steen / Backes / Oshie
Schwartz / Lehtera* / Tarasenko
Berglund / Stastny / Jaskin
Ott / Goc / Reaves

Bouwmeester* / Pietrangelo
Michalek / Shattenkirk
Gunnarson / Jackman

Allen
Elliott

Re: Are We Really a Better Team?

Don't you remember Backes was supposed to be traded? He repeatedly has been clueless as to why the Blues keep bombing in the playoffs and his playoff numbers are horrible.

Anyone who thinks this team is better is drinking blue Kool aid. No way in hell is this team better because they haven't even had any major changes!

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Don't you remember Backes was supposed to be traded? He repeatedly has been clueless as to why the Blues keep bombing in the playoffs and his playoff numbers are horrible.

Anyone who thinks this team is better is drinking blue Kool aid. No way in hell is this team better because they haven't even had any major changes!
You don't blow up a team that won the Central. Each year of playoff disappointment has brought a couple changes. I really like the Brouwer move. I'm interested to see what the defense will look like this year (standing up at the blue line). You cannot have a whole team of Tarasenkos. You need a great supporting cast. A couple years ago, everyone was complaining how weak we were in the Center position. That's certainly changed.

As other posters have brilliantly said, Oshie, Berglund and Perron were heavily marketed to us. They kept us relatively competitive while Army settled in, but were hardly the talent we see coming in now (Tarasenko, Schwartz). I really do think we'll be icing a better team this year, even with only a few changes.

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows if we're a better team yet, because the biggest problem with last year's team was mental fortitude, or lack thereof. Unfortunately we're going to have to wait until the playoffs roll around once more to see if that mental attitude in the room has improved enough to make a difference, and that of course means getting past the first round. On the flip side, we have to be good enough to make the playoffs in what will be a very tight regular season race in an extremely tough division.

Lots of folks have been talking about losing Oshie's production, but I see it a little differently. His minutes will be absorbed by more capable players. Tarasenko first and foremost, of course. Backes too. Oshie and Backes were the only 2 right-handed top-9 forward shots on last year's squad if I remember right. So Backes and Oshie were potentially competing for special teams ice time while stuck on the same line 5-on-5. If Backes moves back to wing it changes the dynamic.

Which brings me to the other unknown, which is the system and style that will be coached next season. If Hitch manages his team properly I think they can be better next year. As I previously alluded to, if Backes and Tank both take Oshie's ice time from an offensive role, you have Brouwer, Reaves, and Brodziak for the more physical and/or defensive play. Then consider that Brouwer and Brodziak both play either center or wing. I'm talking about putting all players in the proper position to succeed. Point is, there's a lot of flexibility here, even more than there was before if you ask me. Then playing Stastny on the top two lines should be good as well. I know a lot of folks don't have faith that Hitch is capable of improving the team in this manner, we're just going to have to wait and see.

If nothing else this team is now beefier in a lot of areas. Brouwer and Brodziak are both good size so they may be able to take some of the brunt of other teams physical play, along with Bortuzzo and Lindbohm as well of course. That should save wear and tear on some of our other guys I would think.

There are a couple other wild cards too. Such as, who knows if Fabbri or Parayko end up playing this year, and what will they look like? At least it's intriguing enough that the team will be interesting enough to watch all season to find out. Before the Brouwer and Brodziak acquisitions not so much for me.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Don't you remember Backes was supposed to be traded? He repeatedly has been clueless as to why the Blues keep bombing in the playoffs and his playoff numbers are horrible.

Based on this analysis my answer is yes, we are better.

LrdStnly wrote:

You don't blow up a team that won the Central. Each year of playoff disappointment has brought a couple changes. I really like the Brouwer move. I'm interested to see what the defense will look like this year (standing up at the blue line). You cannot have a whole team of Tarasenkos. You need a great supporting cast. A couple years ago, everyone was complaining how weak we were in the Center position. That's certainly changed.

As other posters have brilliantly said, Oshie, Berglund and Perron were heavily marketed to us. They kept us relatively competitive while Army settled in, but were hardly the talent we see coming in now (Tarasenko, Schwartz). I really do think we'll be icing a better team this year, even with only a few changes.
I think winning the Central is a poor indicator of what we call success = winning in the playoffs. Other than making it to the PO, regular season doesn't inform us about real success. So maybe you blow up that team, maybe you don't. Kind of a moot point.

Numbers wise, Oshie and Perron were only slightly "less competitive" during the regular season than Schwartz and Tarasenko (see numbers below - and yes, small sample size is an issue for 91 and 17)

91's recent contributions make it look like his presence should have a major impact in the playoffs. I agree with the idea that the supporting cast has to be there. Hope we see a stand up D and a modified approach that denies access to our D zone and converts pressure back to offense closer to the blue line.

Listed as regular season and then P for playoff performance.
# GP G A Tot GP/Tot Pts
17 207 62 73 135 0.65
P 18 2 5 7 0.39
91 179 66 69 135 0.75
P 13 10 1 11 0.85
57 499 129 167 296 0.59
P 24 2 8 10 0.42
74 443 110 200 310 0.70
P 30 5 4 9 0.30

This team is very different without 74. Look at how much time the Backes line got in all aspects of the game. He is a good player no doubt. He gets points. I would get points on that line with that many minutes.

Oshie's play was between reckless and foolish. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it went real bad.

Is Brouwer in that spot? If they are the third line I hope so. Because I really want to see Fabbri in a top 6 spot even if it's just for 9 games to see what we have.

Then it's up to some guys to have a better year. Schwartz Gunnarson Berglund and especially Stastny come to mind of guys who definitely have all the tools to contribute more.

Wild cards are Lindbohlm Brodziak Brouwer. I like this team, but I would not regret making a big trade with what we have.

I still believe that this team will look far different by season's end than it does today. I believe that Backes will be dealt during the season unless he's willing to take a serious hometown discount. I'm also not certain that Gunnarsson, Ott, and Berglund will last all season here. I'm also anxious to see how Fabbri, Parayko, Barbashev, Rattie, Edmundson and a few others look in camp. I think by the end of the season things will look markedly different.

Interesting take. Tarasenko and Schwartz should be better. Jaybo, Statsny and Gunnerson will be healthy, Lehtera has a year under his belt. This will be a bigger more physical team. Should get some scoring from the 4th line and a bit more offense from the D. Fabbri would add speed and skill if he makes the team. Yes, I think we will be better. As stated there may be some changes along the way.

Shipping Oshie out was a major change.

Admittedly I want more roster turnover. I'd have to think another trade is coming.

Doug Glatt wrote:

Admittedly I want more roster turnover. I'd have to think another trade is coming.
Backes' value as a rental for teams getting desperate towards the deadline only increases. Just sayin. :D

ratonmono wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:

Backes' value as a rental for teams getting desperate towards the deadline only increases. Just sayin. :D
I hear ya.

The only knock on that logic is the Blues will be a top team during the regular season. They'd want to be adding and not subtracting.

Doug Glatt wrote:
I hear ya.

The only knock on that logic is the Blues will be a top team during the regular season. They'd want to be adding and not subtracting.[/quote]

Yeah I'm really really nervous about what Armstrong might do to save his job. The reality is though you just can't let assets go for nothing your GM has to be smart about the longterm and the short. I have my doubts about Army in relation to the long term. He is in job saving mode.

Doug Glatt wrote:

I hear ya.

The only knock on that logic is the Blues will be a top team during the regular season. They'd want to be adding and not subtracting.
Yeah I'm really really nervous about what Armstrong might do to save his job. The reality is though you just can't let assets go for nothing your GM has to be smart about the longterm and the short. I have my doubts about Army in relation to the long term. He is in job saving mode.

ratonmono wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:

I hear ya.

I'm largely a Doug Armstrong supporter, but I found this interesting:
http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/dallas-stars-5404.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Armstrong took over in Dallas at the end of the 01-02 season and was fired in November of 2007.

Now lets look at the Blues since Armstrong took over before the 2010-11...
http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/dallas-stars-5404.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody notice anything?
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

ratonmono wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:

Especially if he's a contract year hero.

Dave's a mess wrote:
ratonmono wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:

I hear ya.

I'm largely a Doug Armstrong supporter, but I found this interesting:

Armstrong took over in Dallas at the end of the 01-02 season and was fired in November of 2007.

Now lets look at the Blues since Armstrong took over before the 2010-11...

Anybody notice anything?
Your Blues link is wrong. Here: http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/st.-louis-blues-8187.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The playoff exits are troubling. Good regular seasons teams that fold in the playoffs. The other big question is the goalie. Dallas relied on Marty Turco during those years, and he never did anything for them when it counted. The Blues haven't found anybody reliable yet. Hopefully Allen can improve on last year.

One other thing to note about the Stars....

They made the postseason in each year Armstrong was GM. They've made the postseason just once in 7 years since.

They made the postseason in each year Armstrong was GM. They've made the postseason just once in 7 years since.
I'm not sure what to think about this team, or Armstrong. I've been a big supporter, but I am nervous about decisions to come.

The quote from above, could make the point of ratonmono......After Armstrong finished with Dallas, they've spent years trying to recover.

ratonmono wrote: Yeah I'm really really nervous about what Armstrong might do to save his job. The reality is though you just can't let assets go for nothing your GM has to be smart about the longterm and the short. I have my doubts about Army in relation to the long term. He is in job saving mode.
Even if he was on the ropes, he still has a career to consider.

A professional in any situation will continue to do the right thing no matter what. He's got more to consider than just this gig.

HockeyFan85 wrote:
ratonmono wrote: Yeah I'm really really nervous about what Armstrong might do to save his job. The reality is though you just can't let assets go for nothing your GM has to be smart about the longterm and the short. I have my doubts about Army in relation to the long term. He is in job saving mode.
Even if he was on the ropes, he still has a career to consider.

A professional in any situation will continue to do the right thing no matter what. He's got more to consider than just this gig.
In theory yes. But sometimes people get desperate. Look at the end of Armstrong's tenure in Dallas. He traded a 1st rounder for Ladislav Nagy :shock:. Nagy had been struggling with injuries for three years before getting moved, it was a very desperate move, and it cost him his job in all likelihood. It's not uncommon at all for GMs on the hot seat to make desperate, short-sighted moves. I'm not saying he will for sure but I'm worried that he might.