Re: Blue Jackets calling on Shattenkirk

Hockey Pete wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:Shattenkirk is a great offensive d-man, but I think most see him as a second pairing defenseman. A second pairing d-man doesn't get you Johansen.

That said I agree with you that listening never hurts.
I think Kevin changed the narrative on his game last season, as IMO most in the NHL consider him an elite offensive defenseman, with above average defensive skills. Honestly, his game is starting to look a lot like MacInnis's game, and I don't know what was said to him before last season, but he came into it in great shape and a focus he's never had.

Gentlemen, bottom line (and I've heard this said many times in USA hockey chats), when teams plan against the Blues, they're more concerned about Shattenkirk than any other defender, including Petro. Not saying that Alex isn't an outstanding defender, but IMO he is no longer the consensus #1 on this team.

I don't have a problem trading a star for a star, but if Kevin continues at this level, we're trading a top 5 (or so) defender in the NHL.
Absolutely agree, Pete. If we end up trading Shatty at some point, we better get a massive return for exactly the reasons you give. We can't give away great talent, yet again, for a sub-par return (and no, that is absolutely NOT a reference to the Oshie trade......I'm talking the Brind'Amour, Gilmour, Pronger, Mullen trades, to name a few).

I see absolutely ZERO reason to trade Shatty at this point. The young guys in the system are not ready for top 4 minutes, nor is that Bortz game. I feel very comfortable with our D going into next season, although if we traded Gunner and brought up Edmundson for a shot IF he has a good camp, I'd be happy. We still have Butler and Benoit as 7th & 8th D (both LHD) or trade Gunner and Backes for a top 4 strong LHD
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Matangama wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:Shattenkirk is a great offensive d-man, but I think most see him as a second pairing defenseman. A second pairing d-man doesn't get you Johansen.

That said I agree with you that listening never hurts.
I think Kevin changed the narrative on his game last season, as IMO most in the NHL consider him an elite offensive defenseman, with above average defensive skills. Honestly, his game is starting to look a lot like MacInnis's game, and I don't know what was said to him before last season, but he came into it in great shape and a focus he's never had.

Gentlemen, bottom line (and I've heard this said many times in USA hockey chats), when teams plan against the Blues, they're more concerned about Shattenkirk than any other defender, including Petro. Not saying that Alex isn't an outstanding defender, but IMO he is no longer the consensus #1 on this team.

I don't have a problem trading a star for a star, but if Kevin continues at this level, we're trading a top 5 (or so) defender in the NHL.
Absolutely agree, Pete. If we end up trading Shatty at some point, we better get a massive return for exactly the reasons you give. We can't give away great talent, yet again, for a sub-par return (and no, that is absolutely NOT a reference to the Oshie trade......I'm talking the Brind'Amour, Gilmour, Pronger, Mullen trades, to name a few).
Shatty certainly turned some heads last season with his progression, but he isn't the number one defenseman on the Blues let alone top 5 or so in the NHL. IMO.

Let me balance that with Shatty still has another level in regards to potential. He was having a great year until that abdominal injury. He also seemed to establish a leadership role, which was great to see. He should have a ton of confidence in his game this year. I hope him and Petro continue to grow, and they add more physicality or edge to their game.

I'm not saying they need to be heat seeking missiles out there on the ice, but they lack attitude, imo. A little swagger would do them wonders. I think Shatty started to tap into that last year.

Im not for trading shatty id trade any D man on our roster before him including petro. I think last year was only the beginning of Shattenkirk's full potential. With that being said if were going by this report and with cbj there is only 3 players in my mind this deal could center around johansen a center we could defiantly use. Atkinson i know rw isnt our soft spot but you gotta go after the best player potentially available in the trade. and well bobrovsky those are the only 3 legit pieces i can think of.

If they trade Shatty we'll be crying Rod Brind'Amour tears 3 years from now. I think his ceiling is higher than anyone we have on D right now.

1. He gives a shit about winning
2. He has offensive vision
3. His shots hit the net or come within a reasonable distance

I'm not saying he's a Hall of Famer, but I don't think you deal him unless Jarmo is telling Army to ram it home sans lube.

Man in the box wrote:If they trade Shatty we'll be crying Rod Brind'Amour tears 3 years from now. I think his ceiling is higher than anyone we have on D right now.

1. He gives a shit about winning
2. He has offensive vision
3. His shots hit the net or come within a reasonable distance

I'm not saying he's a Hall of Famer, but I don't think you deal him unless Jarmo is telling Army to ram it home sans lube.
Totally agree with this. The obvious solution would be to retain both Petro and Shatty and somehow move Bowmeester. Seeing as how Bowmeester has a NTC, this will be difficult, but not impossible.

Does anyone know if his NTC is a full NTC, or, is it a limited NTC similar to Berglund, who I will go on the record as stating that I'm glad he is still part of the Blues, he seems to be able to sustain his level of play when it matters

Just to add some fun to this discussion, consider the following:

Shattenkirk's .586 PPG would put him tied with Scott Niedermayer for 45th all time (minimum 250 points scored). A full season this year (82 games) of last year's production would net him 64 points and put him at .701 PPG which would qualify him for this list (262 points) and place him tied for 22nd on the list all-time.

Just sayin' :)

HockeyFan85 wrote:Just to add some fun to this discussion, consider the following:

Shattenkirk's .586 PPG would put him tied with Scott Niedermayer for 45th all time (minimum 250 points scored). A full season this year (82 games) of last year's production would net him 64 points and put him at .701 PPG which would qualify him for this list (262 points) and place him tied for 22nd on the list all-time.

Thanks. That really helps put into perspective the level of his offensive skills.

HockeyFan85 wrote:Just to add some fun to this discussion, consider the following:

This article for Hockey Writers from Mike Poepping gives you an idea of just how good of a season Kevin was having at both ends of the ice.

http://thehockeywriters.com/kevin-shatt ... s-mention/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin put up some amazing metrics last season, consider the following statement when compared to his Norris peers;

As the above chart illustrates, Shattenkirk is not only 1st overall among this elite group in points per 60 minutes played, but is also ranked 1st in PDO, 1st in SCF%, 1st in least SCA/60, and is 3rd in SCF/60 (31.25). If that doesn’t scream to league officials to consider him for the Norris Trophy nothing will. Shatty’s impressive resume this season doesn’t stop there either, as he has the 2nd highest starts in his own zone (ZSO%Rel, @ 21.55 for Shatty) out of anyone on this list, meaning he has to work the puck out of his own zone more than most every other Norris candidate before he gets to work in the offensive zone, and he’s still put up these impressive numbers through all of that.

So I stand by my original assessment, if Kevin continues this play, he is the top defender on this team, as Alex has yet to perform at this level.

Hockey Pete wrote:
So I stand by my original assessment, if Kevin continues this play, he is the top defender on this team, as Alex has yet to perform at this level.
I appreciate all your research but I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment here. Alex proved very early in his career that he was a capable #1 defenseman, and as a result he's had a lot more teams circling his name and applying extra pressure on him early on. This was before he focused on strength and conditioning as a primary offseason focus, and more importantly this was before he was physically mature enough for his body to adjust accordingly. Shattenkirk in the past year demonstrated a breakout season because of a major focus on strength and conditioning last offseason when he was 25. Petro is just turning 25 this summer. To be fair here, we need to give Petro another year of development, or we need Shatty to endure the extra pressure he will be facing for a full season following up a Norris caliber season and have him maintain that production before assessing that he is in fact the top defender on this team. That's my thoughts anyway.

blueslifer wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:
I appreciate all your research but I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment here. Alex proved very early in his career that he was a capable #1 defenseman, and as a result he's had a lot more teams circling his name and applying extra pressure on him early on. This was before he focused on strength and conditioning as a primary offseason focus, and more importantly this was before he was physically mature enough for his body to adjust accordingly. Shattenkirk in the past year demonstrated a breakout season because of a major focus on strength and conditioning last offseason when he was 25. Petro is just turning 25 this summer. To be fair here, we need to give Petro another year of development, or we need Shatty to endure the extra pressure he will be facing for a full season following up a Norris caliber season and have him maintain that production before assessing that he is in fact the top defender on this team. That's my thoughts anyway.
Agreed, and additionally we're talking about two players who play in different situations. Petro is doing it with more PK time, less PP time, and playing against other teams best forwards, which Shatty hasn't (I certainly think he could, but he hasn't done it yet to the degree Petro has).

I also don't know how anyone can say Petro hasn't played at a Norris level. He has two top 5 finishes in Norris voting already.

Shatty had a great year. He was awesome. He was our best defenseman last year. But last year is the only year I think any of us could argue that Shatty was better than Petro, and this was probably Petro's worst season yet, and it still wasn't a bad year.

I'm a big fan of Shattenkirk but IMO, anybody can be traded. But for me to be willing to trade Shatty, it would have to be for a big piece, ideally a top #1 C. That sort of trade offer may never develop but if it ever does, it's something the Blues would have to seriously consider, especially given the future economic conditions. Shatty is going to cost a TON on his next contract so I could see it playing out to where it would make sense to put that money into an elite C instead of Shatty.

The problem I see that doesn't make Shatty/Petro a comparable duo to Pronger/MacInnis is that both Shatty and Petro are righties whereas Prongs and Mac were lefty/righty. That allowed those two greater ability for both of them to get prime minutes - they could play on separate pairings or be paired together as well. Shatty and Petro can't really be paired together as both seem way more comfortable on the right side. They can be together at times on the PP...but they just don't have the flexibility that Probgs/MacInnis had. And because of that, that means that one or both of Petro/Shatty would likely be a bit underutilized if both were Blues and I question if it makes sense to keep both guys when they're both going to cost $6.5M+/year.

There's absolutely no reason to trade him now but basically, I could see the situation arise to where it make make sense to trade Shatty or Petro if they can get a top return and then utilize the big money elsewhere in the lineup.

STL fan in IA wrote:I'm a big fan of Shattenkirk but IMO, anybody can be traded. But for me to be willing to trade Shatty, it would have to be for a big piece, ideally a top #1 C. That sort of trade offer may never develop but if it ever does, it's something the Blues would have to seriously consider, especially given the future economic conditions. Shatty is going to cost a TON on his next contract so I could see it playing out to where it would make sense to put that money into an elite C instead of Shatty.

The problem I see that doesn't make Shatty/Petro a comparable duo to Pronger/MacInnis is that both Shatty and Petro are righties whereas Prongs and Mac were lefty/righty. That allowed those two greater ability for both of them to get prime minutes - they could play on separate pairings or be paired together as well. Shatty and Petro can't really be paired together as both seem way more comfortable on the right side. They can be together at times on the PP...but they just don't have the flexibility that Probgs/MacInnis had. And because of that, that means that one or both of Petro/Shatty would likely be a bit underutilized if both were Blues and I question if it makes sense to keep both guys when they're both going to cost $6.5M+/year.

There's absolutely no reason to trade him now but basically, I could see the situation arise to where it make make sense to trade Shatty or Petro if they can get a top return and then utilize the big money elsewhere in the lineup.
Agreed. Plus, if you trade Shatty now you have to fill his spot. I see Borts as strictly a 3rd-pairing defenseman. I see Parayko maybe sliding into that slot in another year or two but not now. Then you have Schmaltz, Vannelli, etc. who could eventually develop into 2nd-pair but they're even farther away than Parayko it sounds like. But, you could trade one or more of those prospects for established help too. I can see that happening.

blueslifer wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:
A couple of points on my end.

First, I completely agree with everything you state above, which is why I qualified my statement with "if Kevin continues his play", as I also believe that up until last season, Alex's body of work exceeded Kevin's. Honestly, like STL in IA stated, unless we have a legitimate opportunity to land a solid #1 center, why trade either until after this next season, and assess what each player provides.

Which leads me to my second point, in that Petro is no longer a firm consensus #1 RD on this team in my eyes (still leading, but no longer locked). While Alex has a stronger body of work, none of his work exceeds Kevin's performance last season, offensive or defensive, and Kevin did it with a weaker partner. I'm NOT saying that as it stands right now that Kevin is the superior defender, but his best season is greater than Alex's, and at $7 million a season, Alex needs to step up.

In conclusion, if we see a repeat of last season (Kevin continues his high pace and Alex puts in another decent season), I would be completely against trading Shattenkirk over Petranglo, unless of course the contract situation becomes untenable. However, if Alex takes his game to the next level, and given his firm contract status, I'd be all in on moving Kevin for solid pieces to our Stanley Cup puzzle.

Hockey Pete wrote:

First, I completely agree with everything you state above, which is why I qualified my statement with "if Kevin continues his play", as I also believe that up until last season, Alex's body of work exceeded Kevin's. Honestly, like STL in IA stated, unless we have a legitimate opportunity to land a solid #1 center, why trade either until after this next season, and assess what each player provides.

Which leads me to my second point, in that Petro is no longer a firm consensus #1 RD on this team in my eyes (still leading, but no longer locked). While Alex has a stronger body of work, none of his work exceeds Kevin's performance last season, offensive or defensive, and Kevin did it with a weaker partner. I'm NOT saying that as it stands right now that Kevin is the superior defender, but his best season is greater than Alex's, and at $7 million a season, Alex needs to step up.

In conclusion, if we see a repeat of last season (Kevin continues his high pace and Alex puts in another decent season), I would be completely against trading Shattenkirk over Petranglo, unless of course the contract situation becomes untenable. However, if Alex takes his game to the next level, and given his firm contract status, I'd be all in on moving Kevin for solid pieces to our Stanley Cup puzzle.
Gotcha. Well, I hope it turns out to be a "good problem", having two #1 defensemen that both play on the right side. Either one of them should fetch a really good return if we can find the right dance partner.

Hockey Pete wrote:In conclusion, if we see a repeat of last season (Kevin continues his high pace and Alex puts in another decent season), I would be completely against trading Shattenkirk over Petranglo, unless of course the contract situation becomes untenable. However, if Alex takes his game to the next level, and given his firm contract status, I'd be all in on moving Kevin for solid pieces to our Stanley Cup puzzle.
I think the organization (and us as fans) needs to allow for a third option and that is the viability of playing both of them together on the top pairing and moving on from Bouwmeester. We should not be keeping Bouwmeester at the expense of one of the other two just because he is a lefty.

blueslifer wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:

Gotcha. Well, I hope it turns out to be a "good problem", having two #1 defensemen that both play on the right side. Either one of them should fetch a really good return if we can find the right dance partner.
I look at it like this. The knock on Petro (and I believe Army put this on himself) was he didn't have that partner. He was too young to carry the load alone, so they went and got Jaybo. I still think that's the case. Petro doesn't elevate his partner, he's dependent on him. Shatty on the other hand seems to handle his business no matter who he plays with, and in fact makes his partner better. That's the kind of player you keep.

I hope Petro develops into that guy, but thus far he looks like the guy that needs a dance partner. Shatty looks like the guy you can put with just about anyone and he'll be fine. I think you lock him up now even if it means you get a box of donuts for Jaybo and eat some of that contract. That our you listen to offers on Petro. You absolutely don't trade Shattenkirk unless the return is too good to be true. I like our top two pairings containing Petro and Shatty more than I like our top pair being Petro and Jaybo.

MissouriMook wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:In conclusion, if we see a repeat of last season (Kevin continues his high pace and Alex puts in another decent season), I would be completely against trading Shattenkirk over Petranglo, unless of course the contract situation becomes untenable. However, if Alex takes his game to the next level, and given his firm contract status, I'd be all in on moving Kevin for solid pieces to our Stanley Cup puzzle.
I think the organization (and us as fans) needs to allow for a third option and that is the viability of playing both of them together on the top pairing and moving on from Bouwmeester. We should not be keeping Bouwmeester at the expense of one of the other two just because he is a lefty.

I MASSIVELY AGREE with those comments, Mook. Let's hope JayBo bounces back and has a very good year. Then we can not only trade him to help us keep Shattenkirk, but we could get a nice return for him. I don't think you would if you traded him now.

Man in the box wrote: I look at it like this. The knock on Petro (and I believe Army put this on himself) was he didn't have that partner. He was too young to carry the load alone, so they went and got Jaybo. I still think that's the case. Petro doesn't elevate his partner, he's dependent on him. Shatty on the other hand seems to handle his business no matter who he plays with, and in fact makes his partner better. That's the kind of player you keep.

I hope Petro develops into that guy, but thus far he looks like the guy that needs a dance partner. Shatty looks like the guy you can put with just about anyone and he'll be fine. I think you lock him up now even if it means you get a box of donuts for Jaybo and eat some of that contract. That our you listen to offers on Petro. You absolutely don't trade Shattenkirk unless the return is too good to be true. I like our top two pairings containing Petro and Shatty more than I like our top pair being Petro and Jaybo.
See now here's where I disagree again. My stance is that last year we saw Shatty finally reach his full potential, whereas with Petro we haven't seen that yet. Maybe he's a late bloomer, maybe he never reaches his full potential, I don't know. Either way we need at least one more full season to make that assessment. Both of them are young, and as others have pointed out you can't just put two righties together and expect it to work out. So let's not make a hasty move and then regret it a year later, that's all I'm saying.

blueslifer wrote:
Man in the box wrote: I look at it like this. The knock on Petro (and I believe Army put this on himself) was he didn't have that partner. He was too young to carry the load alone, so they went and got Jaybo. I still think that's the case. Petro doesn't elevate his partner, he's dependent on him. Shatty on the other hand seems to handle his business no matter who he plays with, and in fact makes his partner better. That's the kind of player you keep.

See now here's where I disagree again. My stance is that last year we saw Shatty finally reach his full potential, whereas with Petro we haven't seen that yet. Maybe he's a late bloomer, maybe he never reaches his full potential, I don't know. Either way we need at least one more full season to make that assessment. Both of them are young, and as others have pointed out you can't just put two righties together and expect it to work out. So let's not make a hasty move and then regret it a year later, that's all I'm saying.
I don't know man. I just think if Petro were going to be that guy he would already be that guy. He's been healthy and had ample opportunity. He's still young. Maybe he's not there yet, but I'll take the guy that's shown it over the guy that keeps teasing you. Shatty has just impressed from the day he got here and has only gotten better. We've seen consistent progress from him while playing with all kinds of different guys. Petro, not so much. Regression if anything.

By no means do I think they deal either of them now or that we cut and run on Petro. Not suggesting that at all. Just if a move is made Shatty wouldn't be the first guy I'd be willing to part with.

Hockey Pete wrote:
blueslifer wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:

Bingo!

He is at the age where he needs to start taking over games, and he needs to show the ability that he can put this team on his back. I've seen glimpses, but nowhere near enough.

I think our defenseman will be scary good this upcoming season. I finally feel like we have the right mix in regards to physicality and transition with Lindbohm and Bort joining the mix full-time along with Parayko waiting in the wings.

Disagree. Petro has played with scrubs and looked amazing doing so. Personally, I thought Petro looked best when he was paired with Colaiacovo.

HockeyFan85 wrote:

Disagree. Petro has played with scrubs and looked amazing doing so. Personally, I thought Petro looked best when he was paired with Colaiacovo.
Hey. Coli is no scrub sir.
carlo-colaiacovo-o.gif carlo-colaiacovo-o.gif Viewed 19127 times 872.85 KiB