Re: Ken Wilson just interviewed - 95-96 Blues should've won

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
STLBlueshistory wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Ken Wilson was just interviewed on CBS sports 920 am a few days ago and he said the 95-96 Blues team was one of those rare teams that had 7 hall of famers and should've won the Cup!

He mentioned Gretzky, Hull, Hawerchuk, Glenn Anderson, Grant Fuhr, Chopper, and Pronger.
Ooops. I guess his memory failed him. Dale Hawerchuk was traded for Craig MacTavish and he obviously was not with the team in the Playoffs.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Still hard to believe they couldn't even make it to the conference finals. I guess Fuhr's injury and Casey playing goal is the reason people cite but the great teams overcome injuries.
Sorry. That team was far from great. Go back and look at the regular season record. Great teams don't have more losses than wins in the regular season.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Frank Cusamano told Wilson he is a legend in St.Louis because he made some of the greatest calls in St.Louis sports history!
People will have different opinions but were the calls great because of him or because of the actual moment in the game?
Point taken about Hawerchuk yet McTavish was good too. He was a part of multiple Cup winning Oiler teams.

It's true the Blues were 2 games under 500 in an era where you still had ties but Gretzky came more than halfway through the season and I bet they had a record better than .500 with him.

Have you seen some of the Ken Wilson tribute threads at the asylum? It wasn't just the players or the team. People loved his voice, passion, & of course his "OH BABY!!".
I think one of the knocks on Wilson was he was never around the team. He never talked to the players, never showed up at practice. I think Ken Wilson's passion lies with his passion for Ken Wilson. He was great at calling a game though.

CaptSMRT wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:Keenan could have used Courtnall to take the penalty shot for Corson in game 7...it was a bad call.
When was there a penalty shot and why? I kinda wish I could see that game all over again.
It was late in the game...Corson got taken down...and he had a broken jaw...Keenan could have said he was injured and allowed Courtnall (who was a far better on the penalty shot) to take it.
What a bonehead move! I remember how great Courtnall was! If he made that shot the Gretzky/Hull Blues are in the Cup semi finals!

Man in the box wrote:
I think one of the knocks on Wilson was he was never around the team. He never talked to the players, never showed up at practice. I think Ken Wilson's passion lies with his passion for Ken Wilson. He was great at calling a game though.
THAT is what it's all about! He was great at calling the games and that's what so many Blues fans remember fondly about him. Many Blues fans are too young to remember Dan Kelly so Wilson is their Dan Kelly. Frankly Wilson had more big calls for the Blues than Kelly did. At least the ones that keep getting rebroadcast.

barnburner wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Frankly Wilson had more big calls for the Blues than Kelly did. At least the ones that keep getting rebroadcast.
Dan Kelly wasn't just a legend in St. Louis. He was revered all around Canada too. If you weren't around to hear Dan Kelly, you have nothing to base that comment on. It's just your speculation.
the fact this thread has gone on for two pages allows for a victor to be announced...and....
"Do Only Good Everyday"

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:If Ken Wilson was so great...then why did his career end abruptly after he left St Louis?
It didn't. He called 50 Mariners games a few years ago. Remember WIlson said he didn't want another job. All the travel wore him down. That's why he said he liked doing only 50 Mariners games because there wasn't much travel. If he doesn't like to travel much that's his decision.

50 Mariners games....wow...he really set the world on fire.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
STLBlueshistory wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Do yourself a favor and listen to this version of the Monday Night Miracle.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just heard it and Ken Wilson's call was definitely better. How do you explain that it's Wilson's call that is most often replayed and not Kelly's?

Even the BLUES show Wilson's call! Remember around 2006 the Blues had a 30th anniversary party for the Monday Night Miracle? I went to the website then and they had the video of KEN WILSON'S call!

Wilson had the better call and everyone knows it. He put more passion into it than Kelly.
EDIT: in 2006 it would have been a 20th Anniversary.....
Wilson was ok in the beginning, the MNM call he was working for ESPN it wasn't a Blues feed, but as others have said, he got a little too full of himself, and by the millionth "Oh Baby" it was a little old.

barnburner wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Frankly Wilson had more big calls for the Blues than Kelly did. At least the ones that keep getting rebroadcast.
Dan Kelly wasn't just a legend in St. Louis. He was revered all around Canada too. If you weren't around to hear Dan Kelly, you have nothing to base that comment on. It's just your speculation.
Yeah, Dan Kelly was the man. Just a classic play by play guy. Wilson had more excitement to his calls with the "oh baby' and all that. It's like comparing Jack Buck to Chris Berman though.

Man in the box wrote:
barnburner wrote:
Yeah, Dan Kelly was the man. Just a classic play by play guy. Wilson had more excitement to his calls with the "oh baby' and all that. It's like comparing Jack Buck to Chris Berman though.
oh baby....he. could. go. all. the. way!

Wilson had a very good voice and some dramatic games to call. Was he good? Yes. Could he, as BB alluded to I believe w/ the excellent Stewie comparison, have been great? Yes, but he never put the work into it.

They guy was definitely arrogant and didn't seem to be as approachable as others who currently worked for the Blues and as I'd imagine DK would have been in today's entertainment environment. Could you imagine him in this day and age of instant and constant interaction with fans, fellow media, players, management, etc.? He would have had a social media meltdown for sure after having been called out for not knowing the full story or lineups, etc. :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

T.C. wrote:his "oh baby, bring on brett hull and the dallas stars" will forever be burned in my memory. brings a tear to the eye. yes, i am aware he was a tremendous douche off-air, but doesn't change his style. off the top, i can't remember one JK call.
Exactly! I never defended Wilson off air. I said maybe he made mistakes but his on ice calls are the most legendary in Blues history! Even in St.Louis and on Blues youtube videos you hear Wilson a lot more than Kelly!

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Exactly! I never defended Wilson off air. I said maybe he made mistakes but his on ice calls are the most legendary in Blues history! Even in St.Louis and on Blues youtube videos you hear Wilson a lot more than Kelly!
Hmmmm.....Are his calls most legendary or are they the calls that are most readily available?

Which guy has the call on probably the most seen video in the history of the NHL that of course involved the Blues? Would that be Wilson or Kelly?

What is legendary to me is....

Foster Hewitt Award
Lester Patrick Award
St Louis Sports Hall of Fame

Have a Press Box named after you
Have a banner hanging for you
Broadcast over a dozen Playoffs for National TV

Can go on & on.

Jim Woodcock did some good things with the St Louis Blues. Some might think it was the Blues Note by Note book they put out for 35th anniversary. My favorite thing he did was boot Ken Wilson out an his ass where he belonged.

To the people who say Wilson did not have an interest in doing NHL hockey why did he apply (and of course not get when he was kicked to the curb by the Blues) for the Phoenix Coyotes gig?

If you want to try and base your thoughts on the number of You Tube or highlights a guy broadcast so be it. The truth of the matter the accolades between the 2 are not even close.

I get it. People grew up listening to Ken Wilson. Heck; if he was my first main guy listening to I might feel the same way. That being said I would have enough common sense to realize the history and accomplishments between the two guys are not even close.
Attachments
382832368_bcba30c66a_m.jpg 382832368_bcba30c66a_m.jpg Viewed 16076 times 15.68 KiB

CaptSMRT wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:If Ken Wilson was so great...then why did his career end abruptly after he left St Louis?
It didn't. He called 50 Mariners games a few years ago. Remember WIlson said he didn't want another job. All the travel wore him down. That's why he said he liked doing only 50 Mariners games because there wasn't much travel. If he doesn't like to travel much that's his decision.

He only wanted to work part time because he didn't want to do all that traveling. Seems reasonable enough.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

He only wanted to work part time because he didn't want to do all that traveling. Seems reasonable enough.
Has nothing to do with him wanting to work part time and not travel. That is all they hired him for. If he didn't want to travel as you incorrectly say then why didn't he do all 81 home games?

Of course the only reason why he was hired in the first place was to replace a legendary announcer in his own right who passed away in Dave Niehaus.

What excuse (ooops I mean reason) do you have that they didn't keep him for the 2012 season? Maybe it was because he didn't want to go to games at all?

No better place to make crap up and throw out inaccuracies than an internet forum.

STLBlueshistory wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I get it. People grew up listening to Ken Wilson. Heck; if he was my first main guy listening to I might feel the same way. That being said I would have enough common sense to realize the history and accomplishments between the two guys are not even close.
i started paying attention to the blues when i moved back here in '96, so yeah - that exactly. :) i never really heard DK, only JK.

Ladislav Bonita wrote:All I know is that Wilson is a lot better than the current Kelly. Also, I met Wilson twice for a couple of different reasons and he was nothing but professional and a gentleman both times.

Always have to lol at people always turning this conversation into defending Dan Kelly. One of the known topics that will get multiple pages of responses.
I never met Wilson but I've met 2 people who did and they both only had good things to say about him. One of them was Craig Conroy of the Blues! I met Conroy at GNC in the old west county mall. We talked hockey for about an hour and Wilson came up in the discussion and Conroy said he was just a great guy. BTW, Conroy was the nicest guy you could ever meet.

I also met a Blues fan at a practice at the old U.S. Ice Sports Complex and he told me his story of meeting Wilson and how nice he was. Unless the Blues win a Cup it's Wilson who has the best calls in Blues history.

Also, the current Kelly is AWFUL! That "thank you thank you thank you" call is stupid as hell and every sane Blues/hockey fan prefers "OH BABY!!".