Ken Wilson just interviewed - 95-96 Blues should've won Cup!

Ken Wilson was just interviewed on CBS sports 920 am a few days ago and he said the 95-96 Blues team was one of those rare teams that had 7 hall of famers and should've won the Cup!

He mentioned Gretzky, Hull, Hawerchuk, Glenn Anderson, Grant Fuhr, Chopper, and Pronger.

Still hard to believe they couldn't even make it to the conference finals. I guess Fuhr's injury and Casey playing goal is the reason people cite but the great teams overcome injuries.

Frank Cusamano told Wilson he is a legend in St.Louis because he made some of the greatest calls in St.Louis sports history!

Re: Ken Wilson just interviewed - 95-96 Blues should've won

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Ken Wilson was just interviewed on CBS sports 920 am a few days ago and he said the 95-96 Blues team was one of those rare teams that had 7 hall of famers and should've won the Cup!

He mentioned Gretzky, Hull, Hawerchuk, Glenn Anderson, Grant Fuhr, Chopper, and Pronger.
Ooops. I guess his memory failed him. Dale Hawerchuk was traded for Craig MacTavish and he obviously was not with the team in the Playoffs.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Still hard to believe they couldn't even make it to the conference finals. I guess Fuhr's injury and Casey playing goal is the reason people cite but the great teams overcome injuries.
Sorry. That team was far from great. Go back and look at the regular season record. Great teams don't have more losses than wins in the regular season.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Frank Cusamano told Wilson he is a legend in St.Louis because he made some of the greatest calls in St.Louis sports history!
People will have different opinions but were the calls great because of him or because of the actual moment in the game?

insideout wrote:
barnburner wrote:
HockeyFan85 wrote:I blame Hitchcock.
And Army.

Does this mean Larry is finally off the hook?
Pleau always got a raw deal from fans for some reason. I'd take Pleau over Armstrong right now if it were possible. I always liked Pleau's moves. Pleau rarely lost a trade, he typically got the best player in the deal every time (until forced to dump players by Laurie's minions). Not his fault Laurie's meddling lawyer got in his way of running the team.

Rat-wrote
Pleau always got a raw deal from fans for some reason. I'd take Pleau over Armstrong right now if it were possible. I always liked Pleau's moves. Pleau rarely lost a trade, he typically got the best player in the deal every time (until forced to dump players by Laurie's minions). Not his fault Laurie's meddling lawyer got in his way of running the team.

Don't be so sure that Army doesn't have a mandate from the owners to get rid of the "older core"......he would have if I was in that group. Stillman is a more than a Checketts type owner, and he sees the same shit that we see. I'm sure that he asked Army why in the hell are we paying these guys this kind of jack, if they can't play in the playoffs.

STLBlueshistory wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Ken Wilson was just interviewed on CBS sports 920 am a few days ago and he said the 95-96 Blues team was one of those rare teams that had 7 hall of famers and should've won the Cup!

Ooops. I guess his memory failed him. Dale Hawerchuk was traded for Craig MacTavish and he obviously was not with the team in the Playoffs.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Still hard to believe they couldn't even make it to the conference finals. I guess Fuhr's injury and Casey playing goal is the reason people cite but the great teams overcome injuries.
Sorry. That team was far from great. Go back and look at the regular season record. Great teams don't have more losses than wins in the regular season.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Frank Cusamano told Wilson he is a legend in St.Louis because he made some of the greatest calls in St.Louis sports history!
People will have different opinions but were the calls great because of him or because of the actual moment in the game?
Point taken about Hawerchuk yet McTavish was good too. He was a part of multiple Cup winning Oiler teams.

It's true the Blues were 2 games under 500 in an era where you still had ties but Gretzky came more than halfway through the season and I bet they had a record better than .500 with him.

Have you seen some of the Ken Wilson tribute threads at the asylum? It wasn't just the players or the team. People loved his voice, passion, & of course his "OH BABY!!".

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Point taken about Hawerchuk yet McTavish was good too. He was a part of multiple Cup winning Oiler teams.
A) We are going back to the fact someone said Hawerchuck was on the team and they had 7 HOFers which is incorrect.
B) Just because someone won multiple Cups in years previous does not always mean something.
C) He really wasn't that good for the Blues. I promise.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:It's true the Blues were 2 games under 500 in an era where you still had ties but Gretzky came more than halfway through the season and I bet they had a record better than .500 with him.
Nope. They were under .500 with him. Regardless; the term Great team was used. Nowhere close to a great team even if they did have a winning record with Gretzky.
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Have you seen some of the Ken Wilson tribute threads at the asylum? It wasn't just the players or the team. People loved his voice, passion, & of course his "OH BABY!!".
So you didn't answer my question.

Passion? Nah.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
STLBlueshistory wrote:

It's true the Blues were 2 games under 500 in an era where you still had ties but Gretzky came more than halfway through the season and I bet they had a record better than .500 with him.

Have you seen some of the Ken Wilson tribute threads at the asylum? It wasn't just the players or the team. People loved his voice, passion, & of course his "OH BABY!!".
Seriously? We are using the asylum for credibility? :shock:

Wilson had great pbp ability, but was incredibly lazy, and considered himself too good to do the kind of work away from the game, that other broadcasters like Dan Kelly, Jack Buck, etc did routinely.
His whiny childish tantrum as he left town, speaks volumes about who Wilson really is.

What kind of work away from the game do you mean? He has also done baseball games and as recently as 2012 did some Mariners games.

Blueshistory, it was more than just the moment. Are you saying any Tom, Dick, or Harry could've made those calls as memorable? I don't think so!

Even Frank said Ken's Monday Night Miracle call is the most famous call in Blues history and people still play and replay it more than ANY other call in Blues history!

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:What kind of work away from the game do you mean? He has also done baseball games and as recently as 2012 did some Mariners games.

Blueshistory, it was more than just the moment. Are you saying any Tom, Dick, or Harry could've made those calls as memorable? I don't think so!

Even Frank said Ken's Monday Night Miracle call is the most famous call in Blues history and people still play and replay it more than ANY other call in Blues history!
First off, using Cusamano for reference on hockey, is pointless because he is an admitted hockey hater.

Wilson was famous for not attending any of the morning skates, insisting on arriving just in time to do pbp. Time and time again we saw him confused about the Blues starting lineup, when fans who read Gould's morning skate report knew all about the lineup changes.
Wilson refused to do pr appearances on behalf of the Blues, the same kind of work that reputable btoadcasters have always done, forcing them to hire someone who would - Kerber.

If you truly believe it is the broadcaster that makes moments memorable, I don't know what to tell you. Do you truly believe that the people in the stands, without benefit of pbp, didn't realize what they were watching?

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:What kind of work away from the game do you mean? He has also done baseball games and as recently as 2012 did some Mariners games.

Do yourself a favor and listen to this version of the Monday Night Miracle.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

STLBlueshistory wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I just heard it and Ken Wilson's call was definitely better. How do you explain that it's Wilson's call that is most often replayed and not Kelly's?

Even the BLUES show Wilson's call! Remember around 2006 the Blues had a 30th anniversary party for the Monday Night Miracle? I went to the website then and they had the video of KEN WILSON'S call!

Wilson had the better call and everyone knows it. He put more passion into it than Kelly.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
STLBlueshistory wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I just heard it and Ken Wilson's call was definitely better. How do you explain that it's Wilson call that is most often replayed and not Kelly's?

Even the BLUES show Wilson's call! Remember around 2006 the Blues had a 30th anniversary party for the Monday Night Miracle? I went to the website then and they had the video of KEN WILSON'S call!

Wilson had the better call and everyone knows. He put more passion into it than Kelly.

The answer is simple. Dan Kelly as usual did the National broadcast in Canada therefore it was easier for the Blues to obtain the US broadcast version.

You might call it passion. I call it theatrics. Dan Kelly didn't need that. He let the game be the star unlike some who wanted to be the star over the game itself.

Each to their own though. Let me know when there is a Ken Wilson highlight CD put out by the Blues like there was for Dan Kelly. There would be nothing better than to hear a bunch of exaggerated Oh Baby's.

Barnburner, I never said Wilson was perfect. So maybe he didn't go to practices or do promos with the team. Don't make him out to be a serial killer. You realize how many vices some broadcast legends have?

I read stories about Harry Caray getting drunk and pinching women yet he's still considered a legend. You know there plenty of other broadcast legends who have skeletons in their closet.

Go look at the Ken Wilson tribute threads over the years at the asylum. He was clearly loved by many and many either prefer Wilson or grew up with Wilson and therefore prefer Wilson over Kelly. I only say go there because they have a lot more members. I personally have always preferred Ken Wilson and his Monday Night Miracle call is clearly better and more passionate.

You know im in my late 20's i started watching at the age of 3. I was hooked on hockey the first time i saw Brett Hull score on a break away. With a "OHH BABY what a shot by Hull" So im prolly biased and willing to admit that im not old enough really to have comprehended his short coming's as they happened. If you are asking me who i prefer in the booth who captivated me and taught me or at least caused me to pay attention it was Ken Wilson & Joe Micheletti. Myself i dont think i have heard a better catch phrase or voice in hockey not saying there hasn't or isn't. Just when i was happiest as a kid growing up watching hockey that's just something i associated with Blues Hockey. I like Panger alot he does get out there at times but eh its Panger. I like Kelly too but will admit his voice as celebrations do annoy me more often then not..

I realize you guys are talking about Dan Kelly.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:Keenan could have used Courtnall to take the penalty shot for Corson in game 7...it was a bad call.
When was there a penalty shot and why? I kinda wish I could see that game all over again.
It was late in the game...Corson got taken down...and he had a broken jaw...Keenan could have said he was injured and allowed Courtnall (who was a far better on the penalty shot) to take it.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Barnburner, I never said Wilson was perfect. So maybe he didn't go to practices or do promos with the team. Don't make him out to be a serial killer. You realize how many vices some broadcast legends have?

I read stories about Harry Caray getting drunk and pinching women yet he's still considered a legend. You know there plenty of other broadcast legends who have skeletons in their closet.

Go look at the Ken Wilson tribute threads over the years at the asylum. He was clearly loved by many and many either prefer Wilson or grew up with Wilson and therefore prefer Wilson over Kelly. I only say go there because they have a lot more members. I personally have always preferred Ken Wilson and his Monday Night Miracle call is clearly better and more passionate.
Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion on Wilson.
But, it's an opinion forum. I have a right to express my opinion on him.
I hardly made him out to be a serial killer, just a very unprofessional broadcaster, who thought he was too big to do the kind of work that professionals HOF broadcasters did routinely. A childish individual, who when his contract wasn't renewed, didn't have the character to admit that he wasn't rehired because he refused to do what his employer asked of him. Instead, he stomped his feet, and whined like a baby, and claimed he lost his job because the Buck and Kelley families were intimidated by his presence.
Personally I think it's disgusting that a man with that much pbp talent wasted it because he was lazy and had a bigger image of himself than he deserved. Wilson had the raw talent to be a HOF broadcaster. It's a shame that he didn't have the work ethic to match. Wilson was the Chris Stewart of Blues broadcasting. Flashly, extremely talented, but too lazy to make full use of that talent.

Yeah, lots of broadcasters have baggage. The point is, most of it is usually away from their job. My problems with Wilson, are all related to the way he did his job.
When I was a kid, Harry Carey was a legend to me. When I got older, and saw more clearly, he was a lousy broadcaster. He did everything in his power to try and run a classy guy like Ken Boyer out of town by biased broadcasting of what Boyer actually did on the field. What he did with his personal life, I could care less about, but if you were listening on the radio, you couldn't trust what he was broadcasting.