Re: Oshie traded to Caps

So I guess our lines look like this now maybe?

Schwartz Lehtera Tarasenko
Steen Stastny Backes
Jaskin Berglund Brouwer
Ott Brodziak Reaves

I can live with that. Still wanna see Fabbri grab a spot though. No question our bottom six will be harder to play against this year.

ratonmono wrote:So I guess our lines look like this now maybe?

Steen Stastny Backes
Jaskin Berglund Brouwer
Ott Brodziak Reaves

I can live with that. Still wanna see Fabbri grab a spot though. No question our bottom six will be harder to play against this year.
He ain't done dealin' yet.... ;)

Turk Sanderson wrote:

Steen Stastny Backes
Jaskin Berglund Brouwer
Ott Brodziak Reaves

For the team's sake I sure as shit hope he is. Though I suppose Berglund for something might happen. Though at this rate all Army might get for Bergy is a 6th round pick. :lol: :shock: :(

ratonmono wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:

Steen Stastny Backes
Jaskin Berglund Brouwer
Ott Brodziak Reaves

For the team's sake I sure as shit hope he is. Though I suppose Berglund for something might happen. Though at this rate all Army might get for Bergy is a 6th round pick. :lol: :shock: :(
He's changing this team's leadership, a step at a time. When asked about extending Backes, he was like "we'll talk over the summer and see where his head's at, and go from there" ...not very definitive as with Vova who's a main priority.

ratonmono wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:

Steen Stastny Backes
Jaskin Berglund Brouwer
Ott Brodziak Reaves

Actually, I think Bergy would bring back at best, a 3rd round pick.
Personaly, I'd like to see Backes moved also. If not, at least move him to the wing, where he can provide more scoring.

Put me in the club of people that love this trade.

Oshie HAD to be moved, whether it was for pennies on the dollar or dollar for dollar. I think the Blues got a pretty good return for a guy who's never been an All-Star. Blues fans thinking he was in the same league as Lucic are fooling themselves. He also was starting to build the reputation of possibly being a clubhouse cancer. Speaking out against the couch, basically creating a divide between player and couch. You CAN NOT have that on your team. Everyone needs to be on the same page.

We also got another big legit power-forward. Adding him and the d pairing addition of Bohms and Borts and this teams toughness is no longer a question mark.

Additionally, the Blues picked up a very solid goalie prospect and that's one position you can never have too many of as IF you do, there are always teams around the league looking for another.

I wish Oshie the best, it's not his fault the expectations levied on him were not attainable.

Great job, Army.

Fred Garvin wrote:Put me in the club of people that love this trade.

Oshie HAD to be moved, whether it was for pennies on the dollar or dollar for dollar. I think the Blues got a pretty good return for a guy who's never been an All-Star. Blues fans thinking he was in the same league as Lucic are fooling themselves. He also was starting to build the reputation of possibly being a clubhouse cancer. Speaking out against the couch, basically creating a divide between player and couch. You CAN NOT have that on your team. Everyone needs to be on the same page.

We also got another big legit power-forward. Adding him and the d pairing addition of Bohms and Borts and this teams toughness is no longer a question mark.

Additionally, the Blues picked up a very solid goalie prospect and that's one position you can never have too many of as IF you do, there are always teams around the league looking for another.

I wish Oshie the best, it's not his fault the expectations levied on him were not attainable.

Great job, Army.

A couch divided is no fun at all, especially in a clubhouse ;)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:

Great job, Army.

A couch divided is no fun at all, especially in a clubhouse ;)
french_long_heavy_carved_tufted_divided_tripartite_couch__sofa_2691_3_lgw.jpg
BradleyGT89: You will go down in Infamy.

Great job, Army.
If they would have traded Oshie for Brouwer straight up I would have been ok with it.

Getting a third rounder and a goalie prospect really is gravy.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet. I just got done listening to the Army conference call regarding the trade, and he mentioned that Marty was a big factor in this trade. Specifically Army mentioned there was a need to bring more competitiveness into the locker room.

That's the biggest thing to me, you can't have someone getting first-line minutes who's half-assing it. And that quite frankly is the TJ Oshie that we saw this past year. I realize there were distractions with having a baby and health issues with his family, and I feel for him. But, we all have to perform our jobs while dealing with personal issues. I sincerely hope this trade helps him get his head on straight.

I think we all witnessed the Hawks dig very deep to win this past Cup. They all acted like it was the first time because they wanted it so bad. Not a single person on that team was willing to give less than 100% in every shift of every playoff game. The Blues are not there yet, I still think there are a couple guys who aren't willing to sacrifice that much to win. But, at least we're one step closer now with this trade. And that, to me, is the improvement we need, not so much speed, skill, recklessness, etc., it's more about the intangibles.

blueslifer wrote:I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet. I just got done listening to the Army conference call regarding the trade, and he mentioned that Marty was a big factor in this trade. Specifically Army mentioned there was a need to bring more competitiveness into the locker room.

That's the biggest thing to me, you can't have someone getting first-line minutes who's half-assing it. And that quite frankly is the TJ Oshie that we saw this past year. I realize there were distractions with having a baby and health issues with his family, and I feel for him. But, we all have to perform our jobs while dealing with personal issues. I sincerely hope this trade helps him get his head on straight.

I think we all witnessed the Hawks dig very deep to win this past Cup. They all acted like it was the first time because they wanted it so bad. Not a single person on that team was willing to give less than 100% in every shift of every playoff game. The Blues are not there yet, I still think there are a couple guys who aren't willing to sacrifice that much to win. But, at least we're one step closer now with this trade. And that, to me, is the improvement we need, not so much speed, skill, recklessness, etc., it's more about the intangibles.
yeah, I have a ton of empathy for him, as have experienced both things on a personal level (Babies in NICU/Father w/ Alzheimer's) but it seemed to loom over him all season, including the playoffs. Hopefully this becomes a turning point in his career and he realizes that the best way he can honor his father and support his child is to do his best on and off the ice. Best of luck to Oshie, but glad this trade happened on multiple levels.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

blueslifer wrote:
HOW are we one step closer to a Cup with Brouwer?? He's been as useless as Oshie in the playoffs!

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
blueslifer wrote:
HOW are we one step closer to a Cup with Brouwer?? He's been as useless as Oshie in the playoffs!
Only if you only pay attention to scoring. Brouwer brings size, leadership, and intensity that Oshie didn't have.

Stlweir wrote:Brouwer looks like he can take care of himself when he drops the gloves. He definitely finishes his checks. Team toughness is good.
Yes, and it goes beyond fights and bone crunching hits. Brouwer, Bortz, Lindbohm, etc, won't shrivel up and disappear when things get tough. Win or lose, they will stand up and take their share of the blame, not try to blame the coach, the system, or too much information.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
blueslifer wrote:
Brouwer is competitive and a leader, Oshie is not. Brouwer won't take icetime away from Tarasenko, Oshie did. How is that not an improvement?

I'm fine with this trade.

At first I thought it was underwhelming, but after some research on Copley and Brouwer I see what DA is trying to do. Brouwer's production isn't that much less compared to Oshie, and Brouwer certainly brings more physicality, which is always a plus.

It will be interesting to see if the Blues put Brouwer at center and move Backes to the wing. I think its worth a shot. Jaskin- Backes - Brouwer would be a great third line that could cause some damage.

Hopefully one of these goalie prospects turns into a star. It would be nice to have a young, top tier goalie.