Re: Draft Day Thread

bluetuned wrote:
insideout wrote:So the spin right now is that Army is doing the right thing by practicing patience. But does the salary cap perhaps dictate that the longer he waits the fewer the options? Did he miss an opportunity today to capitalize on other GMs' impatience? I could see both sides of the argument. Tough call.
There was a lot of hype today about moves, but at least none of the trades involving 1sts were realistic for the Blues. Without their own pick to deal they couldn't have gotten any of the big names moved. And when you look at who those players were and where they were traded, there really wasn't a way the Blues were going to make a comparable offer to try and get those available 1sts. Consider:

-The Kings moved #13 for Lucic. No 1st to give to the Bruins and zero chance we're trading a current Top 6 forward to the LA Kings.
-Calgary moved #15 for Doug Hamilton. Again no 1st to give to the Bruins, and unless we're trading Petro or Shattenkirk, the Flames aren't interested.
-Edmonton moved #16 and #33 to the Islanders for Reinhart who was the 2012 #4 overall. No 1st to give to the Islanders, and the Blues don't have a comparable elite prospect we can afford to move to Edmonton.
-Buffalo moved #21 for Robin Lehner. No 1st to give to the Sens, and to counter that we'd have to move Jake Allen. Obviously not happening.

The rest of the deals...

-Flyers moved up from #29 to #24
-Islanders moved up from #33 to #28
-Blue Jackets moved up from #34 to #29

Without their own 1st or high 2nd, the Blues couldn't make a move like that. Their first pick is #56. That's not getting you anywhere near the 1st without another major piece. Since we're not interested in moving a guy like Fabbri or Barbashev, it wasn't happening.
Good thoughts. I had mentioned in a previous thread that they're not landing something big (i.e. high draft-pick or top 6 forward) unless they move Fabbri and/or Barbashev. And if its established players the other team wants, then it'll take a Schwartz or a Shattenkirk rather than an Oshie and/or Berglund to get it done. I just wonder whether the opportunities will expand or shrink as time passes.

bluetuned wrote:
insideout wrote:So the spin right now is that Army is doing the right thing by practicing patience. But does the salary cap perhaps dictate that the longer he waits the fewer the options? Did he miss an opportunity today to capitalize on other GMs' impatience? I could see both sides of the argument. Tough call.
There was a lot of hype today about moves, but at least none of the trades involving 1sts were realistic for the Blues. Without their own pick to deal they couldn't have gotten any of the big names moved. And when you look at who those players were and where they were traded, there really wasn't a way the Blues were going to make a comparable offer to try and get those available 1sts. Consider:

-The Kings moved #13 for Lucic. No 1st to give to the Bruins and zero chance we're trading a current Top 6 forward to the LA Kings.
-Calgary moved #15 for Doug Hamilton. Again no 1st to give to the Bruins, and unless we're trading Petro or Shattenkirk, the Flames aren't interested.
-Edmonton moved #16 and #33 to the Islanders for Reinhart who was the 2012 #4 overall. No 1st to give to the Islanders, and the Blues don't have a comparable elite prospect we can afford to move to Edmonton.
-Buffalo moved #21 for Robin Lehner. No 1st to give to the Sens, and to counter that we'd have to move Jake Allen. Obviously not happening.

The rest of the deals...

-Flyers moved up from #29 to #24
-Islanders moved up from #33 to #28
-Blue Jackets moved up from #34 to #29

Without their own 1st or high 2nd, the Blues couldn't make a move like that. Their first pick is #56. That's not getting you anywhere near the 1st without another major piece. Since we're not interested in moving a guy like Fabbri or Barbashev, it wasn't happening.
I agree 100%, you hit it on the head. I am disappointed that the Blues could not make any moves today, but that is the fan in me. We have to remember the Blues goal is to compete for a cup this year, not a few years down the road. Realistically the market that the Blues need to be involved in is draft day two through the opening of free agency. As a fan it is hard to be patient but as a GM you better be, or you wind up with a day like the Bruins had. When the fourth of July rolls around, if we have not made some moves, then I will be pissed.
Nick

I'm totally disappointed that we came away from yesterday with the exact same team that we had on Friday. These guys wont be competing for a cup next year...they didn't compete for one this year. The compete level on this team is way below that which is required to win the cup. Next year they will be older, slower, even less competitive, and more expensive than they should be. It's nonsense to keep the same coaches and the same team and expect a different result. IMHO, the older core has stood by and watched their window close, and it's time to move on. Let the kids we have play, and get some more. Not saying it's anyone's fault that Army couldn't move some of these guys and their contracts and get into round-one, the market is what it is, but it's time to cut bait.

Lots of movement so far today. Niemi to the Stars for a pick, Hagelin to the Ducks for Etem (picks also involved), Talbot to EDM for a pick, and I think I'm missing some.

Edmonton has just about everything now except defense. I wonder if there is a deal we can make with them yet.

That went pretty much as I expected.

There was a lot of talk about how this roster was going to get shaken up. When nothing happened, everyone was saying "wait for the draft! There are going to be changes!".

Well, there were changes... in management's attitude. Armstrong backpedaled by saying that they think this team is a contender with the roster they currently have and don't need to make any moves.

I realize he can't show his cards, but it really feels like fans are being setup for the "We kicked the tires but..." bullshit. I'll always love the Blues, but the team needs to be significantly retooled before I'll bother attending another game.

Oates2Hullie450 wrote:Blues select undersized defenseman Vince Dunn. While Dunn makes no sense for us, it's possible the Blues had him pretty high on their board (still would've gone with Kylington over him). I had seen a few outlets with Dunn as a first rounder.

Kid is 6"0 and 185lbs, and still growing. He's got Duncan Keith like potential when it comes to the puck and offensive instincts, or getting to the puck.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Some curious moves today. Anaheim picking up Khudobin...why? Their GM just reiterated that Gibson won't be moved. And Andersen just took them to Game 7 of the Conference Finals...

I get dumping Wisniewski, but with all of the rumors about Gibson to Edmonton this morning, I'd bet they thought they were moving him and it fell through. Now they've got 3 goalies.

rocketpop wrote:That went pretty much as I expected.

There was a lot of talk about how this roster was going to get shaken up. When nothing happened, everyone was saying "wait for the draft! There are going to be changes!".

Well, there were changes... in management's attitude. Armstrong backpedaled by saying that they think this team is a contender with the roster they currently have and don't need to make any moves.

I realize he can't show his cards, but it really feels like fans are being setup for the "We kicked the tires but..." bullshit. I'll always love the Blues, but the team needs to be significantly retooled before I'll bother attending another game.
Actually, Army has been saying for a while that he's not interested in trading players for picks which would just create holes and make the team worse. He's looking for player-for-player trades and those just don't happen on draft day (and none did yesterday). After the free agent frenzy next week, which won't take long because there's not much there, the real trade market will open up.

MissouriMook wrote:Kind of surprised no one picked up Dante Salituro late in the draft. I guess he'll go back to the draft next year, but it sure would be nice if we could sign a guy as an undrafted FA like they do in the NFL.
Very disappointed for the kid, he's a great player. Even Kyle Woodlief mentioned a few weeks ago that Salituro was the most underrated player in the draft.

"Red Line:
I think Ottawa's Dante Salituro is the most underrated player in the draft, and probably won't go before the 3rd round, so he'd be one of my picks. He gets downgraded because he's only 5-9 and lacks explosiveness in his skating you'd like to see from a smaller guy, but he just has so much skill and offensive instincts - I think he'll overcome the concerns"

http://sportswire.usatoday.com/2015/06/ ... ck-eichel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"