Re: Draft Day Thread

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Jim Matheson
‏@NHLbyMatty
Blues' Kevin Shattenkirk may be apparently available. Would they trade him to Edm for No. 16 pick?#nhldraft

Well then....
Am I over valuing Shatty or is that a really bad idea?
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote:
‏@NHLbyMatty
Blues' Kevin Shattenkirk may be apparently available. Would they trade him to Edm for No. 16 pick?#nhldraft

Well then....
Thats a really bad idea

rocketpop wrote:
HockeyFan85 wrote:Getting to be about crunch time.

Next 1-2 hours are gonna be fun.
You are more optimistic than me. As I said before, the only thing I expect to hear from Armstrong is the typical "nothing made sense for the team."

I will not be that surprised if we enter the season with all of Berglund, Bouw, Gunnar, Oshie, Steen, and Backes
Night's not over.

And even if the Blues don't make a trade centered around the draft, it doesn't mean they won't make one at all.

Dave's a mess wrote:
‏@NHLbyMatty

Well then....
That is a horrific idea

Oakland Avenue wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:
‏@NHLbyMatty

Well then....
That is a horrific idea
I'm not a DA "fanboy" but i am glad he's our gm.

That said, if they deal deuces for a 1st NOT in the top 6, i'll be calling for the chopping block.

Yes yes i know im overrating deuces, but not by that much and we need him more than we think.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Oakland Avenue wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:
‏@NHLbyMatty

Well then....
That is a horrific idea
I'm not a DA "fanboy" but i am glad he's our gm.

That said, if they deal deuces for a 1st NOT in the top 6, i'll be calling for the chopping block.

Yes yes i know im overrating deuces, but not by that much and we need him more than we think.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Oakland Avenue wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote:
‏@NHLbyMatty

Well then....
That is a horrific idea
Yeah that was a really bad suggestion. But then it's Jim Matheson. He does that.

Damn. Either I am highly overvaluing the players we have on our roster OR the asking price was just too ridiculous. Hopefully the deals will be there tomorrow. At this point I'm disappointed the Blues didn't make any moves to move up in this draft.

+1 to the guy who said no more trading first rounders. Hopefully tomorrow will be a brighter day, but dang... Lucic a King and no trades or picks? Today was pretty disheartening.

FuhrFan31 wrote:Damn. Either I am highly overvaluing the players we have on our roster OR the asking price was just too ridiculous. Hopefully the deals will be there tomorrow. At this point I'm disappointed the Blues didn't make any moves to move up in this draft.

+1 to the guy who said no more trading first rounders. Hopefully tomorrow will be a brighter day, but dang... Lucic a King and no trades or picks? Today was pretty disheartening.
Eh, I don't think it means we overvalue our players OR that the asking price was too high. It probably just means we weren't going to move a current player for a draft pick, which has been reported recently.

We have comparable players to guys like Lucic and Hamilton who were used to nab first round picks. That's the sort of player Oshie, Steen, Backes, Shattenkirk, etc. are. But the Blues likely weren't interested in moving into the 1st round if it meant just adding a hole to the current roster. Boston was obviously OK with that.

Likewise, the Isles traded for the #16 from Edmonton, but they traded the 2012 #4 Overall to do it. That's a pretty big piece going the other way. The only guy we had in our system not in the NHL who could even be remotely close to that would be Fabbri or maybe Schmaltz. Unless there is a real standout player you want (like there was when we traded Rundblad for the pick that got Tarasenko) then there isn't much of a point to a move like that.

bluetuned wrote:
FuhrFan31 wrote:Damn. Either I am highly overvaluing the players we have on our roster OR the asking price was just too ridiculous. Hopefully the deals will be there tomorrow. At this point I'm disappointed the Blues didn't make any moves to move up in this draft.

Eh, I don't think it means we overvalue our players OR that the asking price was too high. It probably just means we weren't going to move a current player for a draft pick, which has been reported recently.

We have comparable players to guys like Lucic and Hamilton who were used to nab first round picks. That's the sort of player Oshie, Steen, Backes, Shattenkirk, etc. are. But the Blues likely weren't interested in moving into the 1st round if it meant just adding a hole to the current roster. Boston was obviously OK with that.

Likewise, the Isles traded for the #16 from Edmonton, but they traded the 2012 #4 Overall to do it. That's a pretty big piece going the other way. The only guy we had in our system not in the NHL who could even be remotely close to that would be Fabbri or maybe Schmaltz. Unless there is a real standout player you want (like there was when we traded Rundblad for the pick that got Tarasenko) then there isn't much of a point to a move like that.

Absolutely. It would've been nice to get a first rounder today, I'm glad we didn't give up any of our roster players for a mid to late first rounder. We're all disappointed with the early playoff exits, but this team needs a retooling not a rebuild. We should be looking at dealing some of our NHL player for other NHL players, not picks or prospects at this point.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

So the spin right now is that Army is doing the right thing by practicing patience. But does the salary cap perhaps dictate that the longer he waits the fewer the options? Did he miss an opportunity today to capitalize on other GMs' impatience? I could see both sides of the argument. Tough call.

NHLTIM wrote:If I was a Bruins fan, I think I'd actually be crying tonight.
Seriously...how about it! Just a bizarre day for them. Why would you line up all those picks and then go totally off the board? Why not at least trade down a bit? I would be PISSED if I were a B's fan.

insideout wrote:So the spin right now is that Army is doing the right thing by practicing patience. But does the salary cap perhaps dictate that the longer he waits the fewer the options? Did he miss an opportunity today to capitalize on other GMs' impatience? I could see both sides of the argument. Tough call.
There was a lot of hype today about moves, but at least none of the trades involving 1sts were realistic for the Blues. Without their own pick to deal they couldn't have gotten any of the big names moved. And when you look at who those players were and where they were traded, there really wasn't a way the Blues were going to make a comparable offer to try and get those available 1sts. Consider:

-The Kings moved #13 for Lucic. No 1st to give to the Bruins and zero chance we're trading a current Top 6 forward to the LA Kings.
-Calgary moved #15 for Doug Hamilton. Again no 1st to give to the Bruins, and unless we're trading Petro or Shattenkirk, the Flames aren't interested.
-Edmonton moved #16 and #33 to the Islanders for Reinhart who was the 2012 #4 overall. No 1st to give to the Islanders, and the Blues don't have a comparable elite prospect we can afford to move to Edmonton.
-Buffalo moved #21 for Robin Lehner. No 1st to give to the Sens, and to counter that we'd have to move Jake Allen. Obviously not happening.

The rest of the deals...

-Flyers moved up from #29 to #24
-Islanders moved up from #33 to #28
-Blue Jackets moved up from #34 to #29

Without their own 1st or high 2nd, the Blues couldn't make a move like that. Their first pick is #56. That's not getting you anywhere near the 1st without another major piece. Since we're not interested in moving a guy like Fabbri or Barbashev, it wasn't happening.