Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:30 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:37 pm Opening puck drop line brawl!! Hockey is so back

It's too bad hockey fans hate this.
I just know Bettman was in his office throwing a tantrum watching this.
I believe 4 of the 5 skaters on the ice for each team were ejected after the opening line brawl. How would you feel being the one guy on each side that apparently didn't fight hard enough to get tossed? :lol:
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:00 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:30 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 pm

It's too bad hockey fans hate this.
I just know Bettman was in his office throwing a tantrum watching this.
I believe 4 of the 5 skaters on the ice for each team were ejected after the opening line brawl. How would you feel being the one guy on each side that apparently didn't fight hard enough to get tossed? :lol:
I assumed it was because all the rest were considered "third man in" resulting in their ejection. Apparently you got to be the first to throw a punch then you're safe. :lol:
Just a Russian propaganda account

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:22 am So who's got the iso-view of the Devils' goalie during all this? The Rafters Cam caught him still in his crease at the end of that clip. Did the NHL on TNT production crew fit him with a helmet camera pre-game, and instruct him to stay put for footage to be used in their upcoming MultiVersus Face-Off event?
Don't open that Igor door. I heard he fights bears to stay in shape.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:20 am The Caps and Flyers have absolutely bottled their seasons right now. Both currently find themselves out of the playoffs riding a 7 game and 5 game losing streak. Still time to overtake the Penguins but that is much more painful than the Blues trying to claw back and coming up short.
The Penguins seemed to have no shot just a couple weeks ago, but all the bubble teams decided they didn't need anymore wins.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

How creditlble is THN?

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-april-8-2024/
Blues Might Examine Offseason Binnington Trade
The St. Louis Blues could be on the cusp of significant changes. NHL insider Elliotte Friedman suggested on the 32 Thoughts Podcast that GM Doug Armstrong has a desire to perform major surgery on the team, indicating a significant overhaul may be imminent.

Among potential moves, the future of Blues’ goaltender Jordan Binnington raises eyebrows. Friedman suggests that despite Binnington’s contributions, he could be among players potentially leaving St. Louis, given his contractual situation. This scenario could hinge on the emergence of promising young goalie Joel Hofer, who could factor heavily in Armstrong’s decision-making process.

Binnington does have some pull here. “He’s got a no-trade clause that goes to a partial no-trade…” began Friedman. “I would be curious about what Armstrong would do here.”
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:39 pm How creditlble is THN?

The St. Louis Blues could be on the cusp of significant changes. NHL insider Elliotte Friedman suggested on the 32 Thoughts Podcast that GM Doug Armstrong has a desire to perform major surgery on the team, indicating a significant overhaul may be imminent.

Among potential moves, the future of Blues’ goaltender Jordan Binnington raises eyebrows. Friedman suggests that despite Binnington’s contributions, he could be among players potentially leaving St. Louis, given his contractual situation. This scenario could hinge on the emergence of promising young goalie Joel Hofer, who could factor heavily in Armstrong’s decision-making process.

Binnington does have some pull here. “He’s got a no-trade clause that goes to a partial no-trade…” began Friedman. “I would be curious about what Armstrong would do here.”
Friedman is reliable but it sounds more like speculation and just throwing the idea out there rather than actual rumors. Although I think the Blues would be crazy to at least not listen to offers on him. Just because you listen, doesn't mean you have to trade him. You never know what someone may offer and as fickle as goalies are, maybe the best time to move them is when their value is at its highest. Coming into the year many Blues fans were questioning him as a starter.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:57 pm

Friedman is reliable but it sounds more like speculation and just throwing the idea out there rather than actual rumors. Although I think the Blues would be crazy to at least not listen to offers on him. Just because you listen, doesn't mean you have to trade him. You never know what someone may offer and as fickle as goalies are, maybe the best time to move them is when their value is at its highest. Coming into the year many Blues fans were questioning him as a starter.
Binner is only 30 (hardly old in 'goalie years'), is excellent against high-danger chances, and deserves a better defense in front of him to limit low- and medium-danger chances, which will make him even better all-around. He's a Stanley Cup winner, and can perform in the clutch, and is signed for $6 mil/year for 3 more years.

Hofer shows some flashes, but probably isn't ready for a full-time role just yet, is only 23, and is signed through next season at $775 k.

We've got a very solid goalie tandem for under $7 mil total through next season, and probably still under $8.5 mil after that if we give Hofer a decent raise on his next contract. Seems like a pretty good situation to be in unless a deal blows us away.

IMHO, better to focus on the defense (as much as we can for next season; more likely the changes here will come in 2025), and a 2nd line center/forward depth for the near term as Alexandrov, Toropchenko, Dean, Bolduc, and perhaps others show where they belong in the lineup (I think Neighbors has already solidified himself as a top-6 guy).

RAFritchey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:36 pm

Binner is only 30 (hardly old in 'goalie years'), is excellent against high-danger chances, and deserves a better defense in front of him to limit low- and medium-danger chances, which will make him even better all-around. He's a Stanley Cup winner, and can perform in the clutch, and is signed for $6 mil/year for 3 more years.

Hofer shows some flashes, but probably isn't ready for a full-time role just yet, is only 23, and is signed through next season at $775 k.

We've got a very solid goalie tandem for under $7 mil total through next season, and probably still under $8.5 mil after that if we give Hofer a decent raise on his next contract. Seems like a pretty good situation to be in unless a deal blows us away.

IMHO, better to focus on the defense (as much as we can for next season; more likely the changes here will come in 2025), and a 2nd line center/forward depth for the near term as Alexandrov, Toropchenko, Dean, Bolduc, and perhaps others show where they belong in the lineup (I think Neighbors has already solidified himself as a top-6 guy).
I don’t buy that article at all. It’s so un-Army like any way. The team has ended the season playing well, something Army will take into strong consideration. Furthermore, there’s no way in heck he’s trading Binner. Whoever wants him will have to pay handsomely for it. It would have to be a sweet deal. Ain’t know way he’d trade Binner at the going market rate for goalies. That’s his guy and he values him highly. Which he usually does with his own players anyway.

BillP wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:13 pm
RAFritchey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:36 pm

I don’t buy that article at all. It’s so un-Army like any way. The team has ended the season playing well, something Army will take into strong consideration. Furthermore, there’s no way in heck he’s trading Binner. Whoever wants him will have to pay handsomely for it. It would have to be a sweet deal. Ain’t know way he’d trade Binner at the going market rate for goalies. That’s his guy and he values him highly. Which he usually does with his own players anyway.
Not advocating for it, or saying it needs to be done, but army needs to be VERY un-army-like to change this roster/team culture for the better.

You state the team ended the season playing well, as did last year, which did fuck-all. We need the mid/early season push and the heart this team is lacking.

Again, I'm not stating trading binner is the right move, but army being un-army-like may need be what it takes to change this.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

What does having Binner here the next 2-3 years net you is the question you have to ask? It comes down to where the Blues view themselves. Are you a legit cup contender during what is left of his contract? If BillP was running the team, the answer would be yes, you're a cup contender right now. But does Army see it that way? If he thinks these next two years are going to be spent retooling from his roster mistakes then you have to at least look at the possibility of moving Binnington because having a Cup caliber goalie on a non-contending team is just a waste of valuable assets.

It's like what the Ducks have done with John Gibson. Held on to him for dear life until he has no trade value left and nothing to show for his time there.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: What does having Binner here the next 2-3 years net you is the question you have to ask? It comes down to where the Blues view themselves. Are you a legit cup contender during what is left of his contract? If BillP was running the team, the answer would be yes, you're a cup contender right now. But does Army see it that way? If he thinks these next two years are going to be spent retooling from his roster mistakes then you have to at least look at the possibility of moving Binnington because having a Cup caliber goalie on a non-contending team is just a waste of valuable assets.

It's like what the Ducks have done with John Gibson. Held on to him for dear life until he has no trade value left and nothing to show for his time there.
First off, you won't get fair value for Binner. So why trade him? And the NHL is now a league short of great goalies. So yeah, someone should pay a boatload for Binner, and I don't expect Army to unload him unless he gets a ton. But I don't think that's going to happen so I expect him to stay. And thanks for the vote of support :lol: Yes, I think the Blues will be loaded 3 years from now when these kids move in and get a couple years under their belt.

BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:13 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: What does having Binner here the next 2-3 years net you is the question you have to ask? It comes down to where the Blues view themselves. Are you a legit cup contender during what is left of his contract? If BillP was running the team, the answer would be yes, you're a cup contender right now. But does Army see it that way? If he thinks these next two years are going to be spent retooling from his roster mistakes then you have to at least look at the possibility of moving Binnington because having a Cup caliber goalie on a non-contending team is just a waste of valuable assets.

First off, you won't get fair value for Binner. So why trade him? And the NHL is now a league short of great goalies. So yeah, someone should pay a boatload for Binner, and I don't expect Army to unload him unless he gets a ton. But I don't think that's going to happen so I expect him to stay. And thanks for the vote of support :lol: Yes, I think the Blues will be loaded 3 years from now when these kids move in and get a couple years under their belt.
Well, I think thats why we've all said you have to at least listen to offers. No one is suggesting just give him away for the sake of giving him away. But say the Leafs offer up Marner for Binner and Krug, are you taking it?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:18 am

Well, I think thats why we've all said you have to at least listen to offers. No one is suggesting just give him away for the sake of giving him away. But say the Leafs offer up Marner for Binner and Krug, are you taking it?
Ok it'd have to be binner and kyrou for marner as they'd want scoring back and marner has a full NMC which army doesn't want anyways, but of the hypothetical you are proposing... absolutely.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

You're making this hard. I love Binner. He's a bonafide Cup winning goalie. How many of those has this franchise had? I'd still consider not making that deal. We only got Krug 2 more years. He'll be gone before you know it.

BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:14 pm

You're making this hard. I love Binner. He's a bonafide Cup winning goalie. How many of those has this franchise had? I'd still consider not making that deal. We only got Krug 2 more years. He'll be gone before you know it.
Not to deliver you bad news on this day, but Krug is signed for 3 more years.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:53 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:14 pm

Not to deliver you bad news on this day, but Krug is signed for 3 more years.
His NTC drops to a "list 15 teams" next Summer, along with Faulk's, Leddy's, Schenn's, and Saad's. They'll all be a LOT easier to move if Armstrong wants to.

In my best general management voice, we are at least 3 to 4 years for even thinking about a cup run,so if the right offer comes in for Binnington I take it hands down. I doubt it'll come to fruition but ya he'd be gone. It's not like we're a player away,we're several players away from a serious run.

Jake Neighbours is watching/imitating Matthew Tkachuk and Zach Hyman

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/st-louis- ... t-presence

Jake Neighbours watching, learning, trying to follow in footsteps of Matthew Tkachuk, Zach Hyman regarding net front presence
Blues forward trying to make living in high danger areas forward in NHL, picking up tips watching Panthers, Oilers forwards play down low

Being a net front pest is an art.

Jake Neighbours knows it, and he knows there comes a price with it.

But the St. Louis Blues forward, a first-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft, continues to not only be a student of it but one who's thriving at it.

And Neighbours, who is tied with Jordan Kyrou for the team lead with 25 goals, knows there's more to learn, and the fellow NHL skaters he tends to watch, or follow are two players who continue to thrive in those roles, and oh by the way, one just became a 50-goal scorer.

"I think Matthew Tkachuk's one and Zach Hyman is the other," Neighbours said. "Just those two play a lot of their minutes in front of the net and are really good around the net, score a lot of goals from that area and create a lot of offense from there. You try and pick up little tips and tricks that they do that could maybe add to my game. I think it's obviously a learning process and still continuing to work on it."