Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:30 pm Not the news we wanted. We can now start to stress if/when he will actually be a Blue. He will be one year from free agency upon the completion of next season.

Blues GM Doug Armstrong: "After talking to Jimmy and his family the past couple days, the organization fully supports his decision to commit to another season at the University of Minnesota. We look forward to watching his continued development towards becoming a solid contributor for the St. Louis Blues in the future by playing a lead role for the Golden Gophers against top college competition next year."

That's a "yikes" for me, dog.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:42 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:30 pm Not the news we wanted. We can now start to stress if/when he will actually be a Blue. He will be one year from free agency upon the completion of next season.

Blues GM Doug Armstrong: "After talking to Jimmy and his family the past couple days, the organization fully supports his decision to commit to another season at the University of Minnesota. We look forward to watching his continued development towards becoming a solid contributor for the St. Louis Blues in the future by playing a lead role for the Golden Gophers against top college competition next year."

That's a "yikes" for me, dog.
Big yikes. Based on Army's comments this season about bringing Snug in, this is clearly not a mutual decision and was made solely by the player and his family. You have a Minnesota kid, playing at the University of Minnesota, who will now be just one more year from signing with the Minnesota Wild freely. Pure speculation on my part, but when faced with the decision of college or the Blues, he clearly has made his preference known. Should also be a wake up call to how this team may currently be viewed by prospects.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Hopefully it's just a one year thing and he still fully intends to come here. Still sucks that it'll be at least another year before it happens.

“I am excited to announce I’m coming back to the University of Minnesota next season,” Snuggerud said in a statement. “It was a tough ending to this season, and I feel like we have some unfinished business to accomplish. I am committed to this team and excited for the opportunity next year with the Gophers. I watched Brock Faber come back for his junior year, and I feel like I can take the same path as Brock to the NHL, and help the Gophers win a national championship.”

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:02 pm Hopefully it's just a one year thing and he still fully intends to come here. Still sucks that it'll be at least another year before it happens.

“I am excited to announce I’m coming back to the University of Minnesota next season,” Snuggerud said in a statement. “It was a tough ending to this season, and I feel like we have some unfinished business to accomplish. I am committed to this team and excited for the opportunity next year with the Gophers. I watched Brock Faber come back for his junior year, and I feel like I can take the same path as Brock to the NHL, and help the Gophers win a national championship.”
A CTRL+F of that statement for "St. Louis Blues" yields no results...

This is why Andy makes the big bucks. Blues shouldn't be alarmed AT ALL that the player they think is NHL ready is bypassing a ton of money because the college coaches want him to continue to play in college. I know others on here feel otherwise, but he is by far the dumbest, most blue tinted glasses wearing member of the Blues media.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:25 pm

This is why Andy makes the big bucks. Blues shouldn't be alarmed AT ALL that the player they think is NHL ready is bypassing a ton of money because the college coaches want him to continue to play in college. I know others on here feel otherwise, but he is by far the dumbest, most blue tinted glasses wearing member of the Blues media.
The last part of the tweet directly contradicts the first part.

From a JR interview with Snuggerud:
"I don’t know what the future holds, but to be honest, that would be the plan,” Snuggerud said. “I think one more year is my goal in mind. Next year would be the year.”
Look, he will more likely than not sign with the Blues, but none of his comments are all that reassuring.

Who knows, maybe he'll pull a Cooley and end up signing after having more time to think on it. I'm sure the loss and feeling like you're leaving Minnesota without accomplishing your goal is fresh and raw in his mind.

With all of that said, if the Blues dangled Snug to land an elite d-man this off-season, he's not off limits.
Last edited by Dread_Pirate_Westley on Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:46 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:07 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 am

That's my assumption. Comes to camp next year with a chance to make the team.
He turns 19 in June... Think he'll be ready??
Probably not. But I'm basing that off his first exposure to playing against players not his age in the SHL which did not go well at all. He was set up to fail with that as well though so who knows.
I think Dvorsky is a lock for next season. Thomas didn't go back to Juniors so I don't expect Dvorsky to either.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:23 am This whole situation completely alters the Blues offseason. You now have a top 6 forward spot you expected filled that now needs a body.
Kapanen, Blais and Scandella are all going to be UFAs this summer. That opens about $7.5 in cap space. The only RFAs are Alexandrov and Perunovich, neither of which will be due much of a raise. For the first time in ages it seems like Armstrong will have a little bit of cap space to work with without moving money out. I'm sure he'll try to move some bad money too, but it's yet another reason this should be an interesting summer.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:39 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:23 am This whole situation completely alters the Blues offseason. You now have a top 6 forward spot you expected filled that now needs a body.
Kapanen, Blais and Scandella are all going to be UFAs this summer. That opens about $7.5 in cap space. The only RFAs are Alexandrov and Perunovich, neither of which will be due much of a raise. For the first time in ages it seems like Armstrong will have a little bit of cap space to work with without moving money out. I'm sure he'll try to move some bad money too, but it's yet another reason this should be an interesting summer.
That is taking for granted that the Blues will be a cap team once again after two straight years of no playoff revenue and tv deal uncertainty. I do not think they will spend to the cap, personally.

Vrana will almost certainly be out, too, which gives us another approx $1.5 mil. In addition, the cap is expected to go up by about $4.2 mil as well.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:14 pm
That is taking for granted that the Blues will be a cap team once again after two straight years of no playoff revenue and tv deal uncertainty. I do not think they will spend to the cap, personally.
Fair point. Hell I think Stillman might sell the team if they don't make it again next year. And people thought we were being pessimistic yesterday!

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:55 pm We badly need a second line center for next season. Schenn just isn't cutting it as a second line center.

The top UFAs available are Sean Monahan, Chandler Stevenson, Max Domi and Elias Linkholm.

Who would you like to see Armstrong go after?
Domi, linkholm, monahan, chandler in that order for no particular reason
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:55 pm We badly need a second line center for next season. Schenn just isn't cutting it as a second line center.

The top UFAs available are Sean Monahan, Chandler Stevenson, Max Domi and Elias Linkholm.

Lindholm is the most attractive player in that group, but he's been awful since the trade to Vancouver. Stephenson has been very solid for Vegas the past few years, frequently playing a much more elevated role than you'd imagine. Problem is he seems like the absolute model of the guy that gets drastically overpaid on July 1 and winds up an anchor. No real interest in the other two.

So I guess in conclusion....trade for someone or punt.

BluesSK wrote:

The top UFAs available are Sean Monahan, Chandler Stevenson, Max Domi and Elias Lindholm.

How bout Buchy? After reading the free agent options I'd rather find the solution within the organization.

BillP. wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:18 pm
BluesSK wrote:

The top UFAs available are Sean Monahan, Chandler Stevenson, Max Domi and Elias Lindholm.

How bout Buchy? After reading the free agent options I'd rather find the solution within the organization.
I think our top-6 will look pretty much the same to start next season (Roberts, Kyrou, Neighbors, Buchnevich, Saad, Schenn). The bottom six (Assuming Sundqvist starts on the IR) will be crafted from Toropchenko, Dean, Bolduc, Hayes, Walker, and either someone from within (Alexandrov? MacEachern?) or someone signed to replace Vrana/Kapanen/Blais.

Armstrong may sign a middle-six guy, probably on short term (hopefully WITHOUT an NTC), but if the right player isn't available over the Summer, he may want to maintain the cap flexibility to make some moves during the season, after seeing how Bolduc and Dean do, and Sunny comes back from injury/rehab. That may also include extending Buchy, too.

Can you imagine if the Red Wings or Avalanche had a goalie like Binnington in the 90's... they'd load up every year behind him. Armstrong is wasting this guys career on his five year plans. Fuck a five year plan... nobody has five fucking years... the President of the United states only gets four.

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:37 am Can you imagine if the Red Wings or Avalanche had a goalie like Binnington in the 90's... they'd load up every year behind him. Armstrong is wasting this guys career on his five year plans. Fuck a five year plan... nobody has five fucking years... the President of the United states only gets four.
Well one of those teams had a top 5 goalie of all time, but that notwithstanding, I think 5 year plans are something GMs talk about when they are just trying to keep their job. You only need that assurance when you're either in the process of a major teardown/rebuild, or you need time for some of your mistakes to disappear. I think this team will be much improved next season, but only if Armstrong is finally able to do something with the D. I think he will as the cap is increasing, but we'll see.