Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Blais, Vrana, and Kapanen combined for .65 goals per game with the Blues last season. They've combined for .25 goals per game this season. With the departures of Tarasenko, ROR, Barbashev, and Acciari, I figured Vrana and Kapanen would be decent middle-6 players, and Blais a mainstay on the bottom line with some spot duty a line or two higher. Instead, Kapanen has been JAG, and Vrana and Blais complete non-factors.

RAFritchey wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm Blais, Vrana, and Kapanen combined for .65 goals per game with the Blues last season. They've combined for .25 goals per game this season. With the departures of Tarasenko, ROR, Barbashev, and Acciari, I figured Vrana and Kapanen would be decent middle-6 players, and Blais a mainstay on the bottom line with some spot duty a line or two higher. Instead, Kapanen has been JAG, and Vrana and Blais complete non-factors.
Extremely disappointing and they will most certainly be gone.

We've got Kyrou, Thomas, Toropchenko, Bolduc, Dean, Neighbours, Kessel, Tucker, Perunovich, Hofer. These guys are all under 25 and are roster players.

We've got Dvorsky and Snuggerud coming up.

We've got prospects who we haven't yet really seen what they can do. The future looks really bright.

I'm really optimistic about this team going forward.

BillP. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BillP. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

:lol:

I lost at least 40 goals from Vrana and Kapanen. I expected more firepower out of those 2. Considering those 2 were useless the whole season, the Blues hung on pretty good. And I wasn't the only one who expected Vrana to light it up this year. Dread??? And a few others too. Just sayin...........
I don't think I predicted Vrana to do anything specific, but open to be corrected. I certainly hoped his off ice issues were behind him and he had to potential to pot 20-30 for this team. Needless to say he was a complete disaster. Neighbours took over what we hoped Vrana would provide though so that's not where it all went wrong.

Schenn, Hayes, Kap, Blais falling short is what killed this teams depth. Schenn especially. He has 30 points less this year than he did last year. Fell off a cliff.
I wouldn't count Schenn out. What exactly did he have for linemates this year? Maybe his numbers dropped this year but I think you'll see him bounce back next season.
Good question cause that definitely can play a role so I decided to look it up. Unfortunately for that argument though, his most common linemates are Neighbours and Saad.

Maybe it'll come out after the season that he's been playing the year injured and there's hope this is just some anomaly and not a dramatic regression. Because the worry is, he looks like a 3rd line player on a contending team and a 2nd line player on a bad team at this point.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am

I don't think I predicted Vrana to do anything specific, but open to be corrected. I certainly hoped his off ice issues were behind him and he had to potential to pot 20-30 for this team. Needless to say he was a complete disaster. Neighbours took over what we hoped Vrana would provide though so that's not where it all went wrong.

Schenn, Hayes, Kap, Blais falling short is what killed this teams depth. Schenn especially. He has 30 points less this year than he did last year. Fell off a cliff.
I wouldn't count Schenn out. What exactly did he have for linemates this year? Maybe his numbers dropped this year but I think you'll see him bounce back next season.
Good question cause that definitely can play a role so I decided to look it up. Unfortunately for that argument though, his most common linemates are Neighbours and Saad.

Maybe it'll come out after the season that he's been playing the year injured and there's hope this is just some anomaly and not a dramatic regression. Because the worry is, he looks like a 3rd line player on a contending team and a 2nd line player on a bad team at this point.
Sounds like our former captain Dallas Drake, and I don't remember alot of complaints about him :)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 pm

Sounds like our former captain Dallas Drake, and I don't remember alot of complaints about him :)
Except that Schenn is tied for the 3rd highest paid player on our team (tied with Faulk, Krug, and Parayko), and is under contract until he's almost 37. Like the player, but hoping this season's dip in production is just temporary.

RAFritchey wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:00 pm

Except that Schenn is tied for the 3rd highest paid player on our team (tied with Faulk, Krug, and Parayko), and is under contract until he's almost 37. Like the player, but hoping this season's dip in production is just temporary.
This team needs to find a second line center. Keven Hayes has is one of the top faceoff leaders in the League now. So for as much flak as he gets, he does have a purpose on the team.

Maybe Schenn should move to wing. As guys age they need to find new roles. Alex Steen made a huge difference to this team moving down to the fourth line.

I'm not saying Schenn is at that stage yet but as a second line center? I just don't see it anymore.

RAFritchey wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:00 pm

Exactly this. Like with all players, it comes down to salary vs production when judging them. If he had Saad's contract, 2 more years at 4.5aav, it wouldn't be as big of a concern.

I'm sorry but WHAT????

https://theathletic.com/5373307/2024/03 ... r-mailbag/

Who are the top three coaching finalists? — Scott F.

Armstrong is super secretive with this stuff, but we’re all familiar with the potential candidates. The Blues have had some interest in Joel Quenneville in the past, and if the NHL reinstated him following his involvement in the Chicago Blackhawks’ scandal, Armstrong would likely explore the possibility (if he hasn’t already). The question, to me, is whether Quenneville, 65, would go to a team that’s retooling if he has options with clubs that are further along.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:46 am I'm sorry but WHAT????

https://theathletic.com/5373307/2024/03 ... r-mailbag/

Who are the top three coaching finalists? — Scott F.

Armstrong is super secretive with this stuff, but we’re all familiar with the potential candidates. The Blues have had some interest in Joel Quenneville in the past, and if the NHL reinstated him following his involvement in the Chicago Blackhawks’ scandal, Armstrong would likely explore the possibility (if he hasn’t already). The question, to me, is whether Quenneville, 65, would go to a team that’s retooling if he has options with clubs that are further along.
Let a dinosaur like JD make that mistake. Please not here. For multiple reasons.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:36 am Judging by the chatter, it sure sounds like the Blues aren't going to waste time in getting Snug here and we may see him as early as the game vs Nashville Thursday. If they want to have fun they'll do a Bolduc, Dean, Snug 3rd line.
Wait, i thought they were gonna let his collegiate playoffs take precedence?

Ahh, just saw the loss on sat. Nevermind.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

BillP. wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:47 am
BillP. wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 am What's the ETA on Dvorsky? Next year??
That's my assumption. Comes to camp next year with a chance to make the team.
If Binner can stay intact here, we're going to have our 2nd Cup in 3 or 4 years. JMO
Yup, just need every single one of these forward prospects to hit their 100% potential and one or two of them to become a defenseman. ;)
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:50 am

If Binner can stay intact here, we're going to have our 2nd Cup in 3 or 4 years. JMO
Yup, just need every single one of these forward prospects to hit their 100% potential and one or two of them to become a defenseman. ;)
We have two seconds and two thirds this year. Hoping they can use that to move up for someone like Sam Dickinson. Big mobile LHD whose defense is the strength of his game, but also put up 70 points for good measure.. Will almost assuredly go in the top 10.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:50 am

I laughed at this, coffee out the nose.

Dave's a mess wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: That's my assumption. Comes to camp next year with a chance to make the team.
No doubt I'm thinking big here - ha

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:07 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 am
BillP. wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 am What's the ETA on Dvorsky? Next year??
He turns 19 in June... Think he'll be ready??
Probably not. But I'm basing that off his first exposure to playing against players not his age in the SHL which did not go well at all. He was set up to fail with that as well though so who knows.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:46 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:07 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 am

He turns 19 in June... Think he'll be ready??
Probably not. But I'm basing that off his first exposure to playing against players not his age in the SHL which did not go well at all. He was set up to fail with that as well though so who knows.
I assume his eligibility would be the same as all Canadian junior players and that he wouldn't be eligible for AHL games next year, but didn't know if there was something goofy since he started in the SHL this year. Assuming that's the case, I'd agree that he likely wouldn't be part of the roster next season (beyond a potential 9 game tryout) since there's no lack of young forwards on the cusp of full time NHL status in the organization. If he DOES become a lineup fixture next year, I'd assume it's a very good sign since it'd mean he'd made a clear leap and couldn't be denied a spot when it'd be perfectly reasonable for him to slide another year given those other forward prospects that should be a year or two ahead of him.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Not the news we wanted. We can now start to stress if/when he will actually be a Blue. He will be one year from free agency upon the completion of next season.

Blues GM Doug Armstrong: "After talking to Jimmy and his family the past couple days, the organization fully supports his decision to commit to another season at the University of Minnesota. We look forward to watching his continued development towards becoming a solid contributor for the St. Louis Blues in the future by playing a lead role for the Golden Gophers against top college competition next year."