Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:37 pm
With all due respect…. Fuck Bernie and the elephant he rode on.
While I wouldn't go THAT far (I'd at least spare the elephant, unless she were REALLY cute and open to a long-term relationship), I don't place much stock in Bernie's takes on the Blues, or hockey in general.

– Yes, the under-performing team right now was put together by Armstrong (and his team).

– The exact same team that was solidly in a wild-card spot a couple of weeks ago was put together by Armstrong.

– The prospect pipeline that has at least three players that turned heads at the recent World Juniors was put together by Armstrong.

– Moves like Blais, Kapanen, Vrana, and Hayes were low-risk moves. They may not have paid off, but still solid moves for the costs incurred.

– The dreaded NTCs that have us so 'handcuffed' start to fall away soon, about the time we expect our prospects to begin taking the step up to the NHL level.

– The highest cap-hit contracts on our roster rank 57-58th league wide.

I know Bernie has to write for what he sees as the 'typical' St. Louis sports fan, but he's perfectly capable of pointing out that, while, yes, the current team's weak roster can be largely pinned on Armstrong, we also have to consider the entire franchise, prospect pool, and positioning for the future too.

IMHO, the 'typical' St. Louis sports fan can handle that.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:11 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:23 pm I think this team has buckled under the pressure.

We 'could' make the playoffs this year, but I have no faith in this team, even after the 5-1 trouncing on boston.
Well if they want to, winning their next game vs LA will be a must. It's on TNT so everyone will be able to watch
On nat'l tv? We'll prob shit the bed then.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

13 games, 26 points left. I think the goal should be 20 points out of those 26. In whatever form or fashion they come. Next three are at Ottawa, at Minnesota, then 2 days later home versus Vegas. Binner has to start at least the Minnesota and Vegas game. You win those two in regulation and we are very much alive.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:14 pm The kids are coming. Dean debuts tomorrow, Bolduc has gotten a tasted, Snuggerud likely to late in the season as well. I'm sure they won't all be permanent fixtures next season, but the next wave is coming in like a tsunami.
This is dependent on two things, I think. 1. How soon the Gophers playoff run ends. 2. Are the Blues still in the race when that happens.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:33 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:14 pm The kids are coming. Dean debuts tomorrow, Bolduc has gotten a tasted, Snuggerud likely to late in the season as well. I'm sure they won't all be permanent fixtures next season, but the next wave is coming in like a tsunami.
This is dependent on two things, I think. 1. How soon the Gophers playoff run ends. 2. Are the Blues still in the race when that happens.
Count me among those that think 1. Gophers probably don't make Frozen Four (meaning done no later than 3/31) and 2. Probably doesn't matter if they're in the race or not they still want him signed and getting he feet wet.

If Minnesota makes the Championship game, maybe they hold off since the Blues only have 2 games after that, 1 of which is the next day, but even then I think Snuggerud is keen to sign ASAP to burn a year of his entry level deal, and the Blues probably don't want to piss off one of their key future pieces by playing contract timing games with him. I recall they got Schwartz in the lineup in a similar situation with a handful of games to go, and I think a few others as well.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:16 am
Count me among those that think 1. Gophers probably don't make Frozen Four (meaning done no later than 3/31) and 2. Probably doesn't matter if they're in the race or not they still want him signed and getting he feet wet.

If Minnesota makes the Championship game, maybe they hold off since the Blues only have 2 games after that, 1 of which is the next day, but even then I think Snuggerud is keen to sign ASAP to burn a year of his entry level deal, and the Blues probably don't want to piss off one of their key future pieces by playing contract timing games with him. I recall they got Schwartz in the lineup in a similar situation with a handful of games to go, and I think a few others as well.
Maybe but why start the clock on his free agency a year early for meaningless games?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:54 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:16 am

Maybe but why start the clock on his free agency a year early for meaningless games?
So he's not starting from scratch in the fall (not advocating for it, just guessing at the logic). The Blues have 8 April games. If Minnesota doesn't make the Frozen Four I'd be shocked if he doesn't play at least 6. Schwartz played 7 when he signed in the spring, Cole played 9 AHL games. Most of the other college guys either finished way earlier and played around 15 pro games (Parayko, Thompson), or made it all the way to the Final and didn't have any real chance to get in pro games (Perunovich). The pattern seems to be get them in ASAP, entry level deal year one be damned! There are potentially some benefits to getting to that second contract early anyway depending on how well the prospect plays.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!