Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

playing devil's advocate here, but given the skill on display, maybe, you know, DON'T part ways with buch? i realize there is starting to be a log jam of prospects behind him that will be cheaper, and i'm all about letting the kids play, but how many times have we had high hopes for a good-looking prospect only to see them fizzle? buch is the real deal, and i'm starting to feel like it might be an error to trade him. granted, i'm not ready to part with the prospects either, just saying this is a real sophie's choice. i guess that's why army gets the big bucks.

T.C. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:23 am playing devil's advocate here, but given the skill on display, maybe, you know, DON'T part ways with buch? i realize there is starting to be a log jam of prospects behind him that will be cheaper, and i'm all about letting the kids play, but how many times have we had high hopes for a good-looking prospect only to see them fizzle? buch is the real deal, and i'm starting to feel like it might be an error to trade him. granted, i'm not ready to part with the prospects either, just saying this is a real sophie's choice. i guess that's why army gets the big bucks.
For me the incoming prospects barely play into it. Granted I don't know what kind of deal Buch is looking for on his next contract, but it has all the makings of a regrettable contract due to Father Time. Love the player right now, but I always prefer the outcomes of Trader Doug to those of Contract Doug.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:06 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:50 am Now official. Tarasenko heading to Florida for draft picks.
He finally made his way to a Florida team. The Panthers have been a damn juggernaut for the last few months, so it'll be interesting to see how they use him.
And only had to give up two mid rounder picks for a guy that’s going to have a 50 point season. Great deal for them.
Just a Russian propaganda account

T.C. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:23 am playing devil's advocate here, but given the skill on display, maybe, you know, DON'T part ways with buch? i realize there is starting to be a log jam of prospects behind him that will be cheaper, and i'm all about letting the kids play, but how many times have we had high hopes for a good-looking prospect only to see them fizzle? buch is the real deal, and i'm starting to feel like it might be an error to trade him. granted, i'm not ready to part with the prospects either, just saying this is a real sophie's choice. i guess that's why army gets the big bucks.
Buch gives you the added dimension of defending and killing penalties that you won’t get from any of the prospects… not right away, anyway. If he wants to stay, I’m all for keeping him… but he’s gonna want to get paid Thomas / Kyrou $$$ … and that’s why I’d rather move on from Kyrou… I doubt that Kyrou ever reaches his full potential with the Blues…. If he had 1/2 of a give-a-shit, he’d be rocking 70 points at this point of the season, given who he’s playing with. He plays like he’s made out of glass. He should have been a baseball player.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:40 am
For me the incoming prospects barely play into it. Granted I don't know what kind of deal Buch is looking for on his next contract, but it has all the makings of a regrettable contract due to Father Time. Love the player right now, but I always prefer the outcomes of Trader Doug to those of Contract Doug.
Buchnevich will be 30 at the end of his current contract (2025), and will likely (and rightfully) be looking for something along the lines of 6-8 years at around $9 mil AAV by then. The first couple of seasons would certainly be worth it, but after the first few years we'd be talking about him the way we're currently talking about Brayden Schenn, I'd LOVE for him to be here for another 4-5 years, through our 'retool' and then help lead us to another Cup victory, but the timing is just not right.

If we keep him to try to make playoff runs this year and next, many fans will be HOWLING that we let him 'walk for nothing' in 2025, instead of dealing him now when his 'value was highest.'

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:19 pm So with Edmonton moving a 1st for Henrique, that presumably takes them out of the Buchnevich derby. Based on the reports/speculation I've seen, that leaves Vegas, Carolina and maybe Detroit. Vegas seems to still have room after picking up Mantha, but we'll see.
With Florida picking up Tarasenko, that might put pressure on Carolina and possibly the Rangers to bring in Buchnevich. They might be waiting to see what happens with Guentzel, too.