What gives with the competitor, stltoday, Blues Talk?

One night (Friday) I post just before midnight and the next morning, WHOOSH ! The site vanishes. Maybe some of you post on both sites. I have so just had to reset my password for this one.

I did see something on stltoday that may have not been there before. Anyon know if a person now needs to subscribe at ? dollars per month. Looked like I saw a 3 month trial for $1 , but Blues Talk Forum was still free but missing the PTS thread where I would have earned 3 points for the Detroit game. That would stink if no one can sign on anymore without some fee (if anyone knows).?? Well the good ole GDT is still here so I can browse though the posters for familiar names.

Re: What gives with the competitor, stltoday, Blues Talk?

stlsportster wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:36 am The forums link won’t open at all. It has been down at times before, but not for this long. It would be nice if most of the users from there would come here, save for the trolls who would be easily recognized.
They finally have a real, live moderator show up and clean things up a bit and then this? That seems like something the PD would do! Oh well, if it doesn’t come back, I’ll be spreading my happy dose of bullshit here more often!

Welcome folks. For the record, I don’t view this as a competition. I offered this site as an alternative to other places where language is policed like we’re all children, and power-tripping mods/admins get their rocks off banning people for no reason. So you are quite welcome here, I hope you enjoy posting, but I’m not attempting to compete with other sites that rely on ad revenue or subscriber revenue to exist, so they over-police so as not to piss off the money stream. I will not police language here. I will not be pushing (or complying with) any narratives. I won’t be jumping on the bandwagon of whatever current social issues crop up. One rule is no politics. Zero. This is a safe haven from that, where we can all be friends. If you want to talk politics, seemingly go literally anywhere else on the internet.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:06 am
Matangama wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:18 am I greatly prefer this forum, but my only complaint in the past has been the lack of activity. If the potential demise of Blues Talk by the PD is real, it would be awesome if some of the folks come over to this forum.
Some times more activity isn't a good thing.
Definitely true, especially not over with some of the morons that ruined that place. So many new posters with some sort of “schtick”…..or maybe just one really pathetic guy with no life.

Holy crap, I just checked and I joined this forum almost 9 years ago! I can’t believe it has been that long.

Matangama wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:18 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:06 am
Matangama wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:18 am I greatly prefer this forum, but my only complaint in the past has been the lack of activity. If the potential demise of Blues Talk by the PD is real, it would be awesome if some of the folks come over to this forum.
Some times more activity isn't a good thing.
Definitely true, especially not over with some of the morons that ruined that place. So many new posters with some sort of “schtick”…..or maybe just one really pathetic guy with no life.
I also just enjoy being able to keep up with conversations on here easier than when I posted on the other board many years ago. Don't have to sift through any garbage to find the people you actually want to read their thoughts and remember who said what so I can throw it in their face later. A few more good posters wouldn't be bad though, seems like we've lost a couple over the past two seasons in guys like Bradley and Rat.
Just a Russian propaganda account

If the STLToday boards and site are still a division of the Post-Dispatch, it may just be a function of the decline of legacy media in general. Politics aside, who gets the newspaper anymore? Sure, they've been trying to make an internet presence, but even many internet news media are severely downsizing or folding altogether. They just don't have a model that's sustainable currently, or flexible enough to change rapidly enough to keep up. IMHO, they're just going the way of Blockbuster Video, unless they find a way to re-invent themselves.

That said, it would be cool to get more (good!) posters over here. I kinda miss the days of 10-page long GDTs you could read while you watch/listen to the game! (I usually listen to the radio broadcast over the internet while I check out stats and other game results and manage my fantasy team, and check out the video replays of highlights when they're available. Haven't tried streaming video yet, I'm not sure my current computer set-up could handle it!)

RAFritchey wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:47 pm If the STLToday boards and site are still a division of the Post-Dispatch, it may just be a function of the decline of legacy media in general. Politics aside, who gets the newspaper anymore? Sure, they've been trying to make an internet presence, but even many internet news media are severely downsizing or folding altogether. They just don't have a model that's sustainable currently, or flexible enough to change rapidly enough to keep up. IMHO, they're just going the way of Blockbuster Video, unless they find a way to re-invent themselves.

That said, it would be cool to get more (good!) posters over here. I kinda miss the days of 10-page long GDTs you could read while you watch/listen to the game! (I usually listen to the radio broadcast over the internet while I check out stats and other game results and manage my fantasy team, and check out the video replays of highlights when they're available. Haven't tried streaming video yet, I'm not sure my current computer set-up could handle it!)
It's not based on your computer, it's based on your Internet. If you can watch anything on youtube, you can stream games. -FYI- (just a technical nerd)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!