Re: GDT: Blues vs Oilers 2/15 7:00

Neighbours is the newest Blues' true power forward, in the Keith Tkachuck tradition. He just needs one more for 20, and, being hot, he might even get up to 30, with about 30 games left. His gritty net-front play will be a big boost for The Blues in the playoffs. Great to see him finally clicking as an NHL difference-maker.

I'd like to say something similar about Perunovich, if only he could stay healthy enough to develop his NHL game.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:09 pm
BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:56 pm When did Corey Perry manage to sneak onto the Oilers??
After he banged Begard’s mom and they released him.
It was great to see Scandella get the best of him in their "fight". Perry must be over 40 years old by now. I still have an extreme dislike for him from questionable hits he made on Blues' players back when he was young, with The Kings. Scandella was skating really hard and had an excellent game, helping The Blues win tonight. I really think that those couple bad seasons he had when Blues fans got down on him, he was playing hurt much or most of that time.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:50 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:47 pm Buchnevich will be a huge loss at the trade deadline, and i still believe he will be gone
No. He's not an impending UFA. There's no reason to move him right now.

The players have shown Armstrong this is a playoff team. We won't be big buyers but I don't think we are sellers now.
I keep forgetting he has another year left on his contract. We may/will keep him this season, just to see what damage we can do in the playoffs,but i do not expect to see him in a blues jersey next year (sadly)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Robb_K wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:24 pmIt was great to see Scandella get the best of him in their "fight". Perry must be over 40 years old by now. I still have an extreme dislike for him from questionable hits he made on Blues' players back when he was young, with The Kings. ...
C'mon, Robb_K, you of all posters should be able to judge player ages since you've passed through so many decades (so far). Perry won't be a Quadragenarian until May of next year.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:00 am
BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:50 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:47 pm Buchnevich will be a huge loss at the trade deadline, and i still believe he will be gone
No. He's not an impending UFA. There's no reason to move him right now.

The players have shown Armstrong this is a playoff team. We won't be big buyers but I don't think we are sellers now.
I keep forgetting he has another year left on his contract. We may/will keep him this season, just to see what damage we can do in the playoffs,but i do not expect to see him in a blues jersey next year (sadly)
Yeah, I'm afraid you're right. Unless Kyrou gets moved.

I went to the game last night. Here are my observations:
- I guess that massive, unreal save Binner had in the first didn't translate well on TV or you all would have been freaking the fuck out. It was right in front of me and I couldn't believe he made it. Binner was on absolute fire last night.
- After watching Neighbors for a few minutes, I told my buddy I bet he gets four points tonight. Ended up with his first three-point night, but still - that guy is the future of this franchise. He was fucking everywhere, in all the right places, with the right attitude. He's a prototypical Blues player, and a guy that the fans will absolutely embrace and adore. He just needs a wee bit more grit in his game, a warm nasty streak, and he'll be unstoppable.
- Scandella should not be fighting, but I sincerely appreciate the sentiment behind it. We had just been talking about how yes, there were shit things about '80s-'90s hockey with all the clutching, grabbing, hooking, etc., but at least it was violent. Today's game is more like soccer. No one has any fear of just planting themselves in the crease. No one gets cleared. I saw one hit last night I'd call almost a real hit. It's just sad and depressing. So yes, thank you Marco, but there should be five other guys on this team stepping up before him. He just happened to be the guy there. All of that being said, it was clearly an accidental play, Marco reacted to the result.
- Many, MANY times, the Blues just let McJesus wander around alone. I'm blown away he didn't have double-digit points last night - that's on Binner. The Blues, collectively, seemed to have zero awareness of who was on the ice. They just left him alone at least 3/4 of the time he was out there. It was crazy.
- If Army gets calls, he needs to seriously entertain/fleece anyone who wants Kyrou. I've had it with that guy. I'd rather figure out how to account for his goals some other way than watch him rob the Blues. His level of give-a-shit is in the cellar. Zero effort 90% of the time. Constantly giving up on back-checking, constantly coasting. More often than not, he fumbles and/or gives up the puck, or passes it directly to the opponent. When he does have the puck, he plays like he doesn't trust anyone else he's on the ice with, yet somehow doesn't shoot nearly enough. He's Contract 1 Perron. Will/can he become a fantastic player? Sure. Here, now? No. He needs to be traded to understand that what he's doing comes with consequences. He'll get it together, but not with this coddling contract that's handcuffing the coaching staff.
- Krug is really, really small. Like, way smaller than I remembered him being. It's wild how he plays given his size.
- The Oilers were discombobulated most of the time, to the point I asked my buddy what the hell is going on with the Oilers. I kept thinking that because I haven't been watching them, I must have missed something. With that roster, no reason they should be playing so disorganized.
- Our "fourth" line was great every shift. Sucks they got that goal disallowed by half a second. I just wish they would lay more dudes out. Learn to mete devastating hits out like they're Pez.
- Country Roads - first things first, why the fuck was that moved to the second period? If you're going to make people endure it, at least make it mean something. The entire point is "take me home", meaning "we're in the middle of the third, bring it home Blues team". It is meaningless in the 2nd. Second, what the fuck is with the beginning of it, with some douche singing alternate "be nice" PSA lyrics? Just awful. I'm glad the entire arena was booing it. Fuck whoever that is, fuck whoever's idea this was.

JMC-STL wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:18 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:40 amAll I saw out of the Blues last night was crisp puck movement and a goalie with dick bigger than the Eiffel Tower.
I'm surprised you had enough attention span left to notice the crisp passing.
Count that among the many things that surprise you... the popularity of rock and roll... why they canceled Fonzi... waking up in the morning.

T.C. wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:52 am I went to the game last night. Here are my observations:
- I guess that massive, unreal save Binner had in the first didn't translate well on TV or you all would have been freaking the fuck out. It was right in front of me and I couldn't believe he made it. Binner was on absolute fire last night.
According to Money Puck, Binnington has the second highest 'High-Danger' SV% of all goalies who've played at least 30 games, Just behind Jacob Markstrom on Calgary. He's been lights-out!
- After watching Neighbors for a few minutes, I told my buddy I bet he gets four points tonight. Ended up with his first three-point night, but still - that guy is the future of this franchise. He was fucking everywhere, in all the right places, with the right attitude. He's a prototypical Blues player, and a guy that the fans will absolutely embrace and adore. He just needs a wee bit more grit in his game, a warm nasty streak, and he'll be unstoppable.
He's definitely going to be a great top-6 guy for us, IMHO. If he can start distributing the puck more, too, it will add another dimension to his game. As far as 'toughness,' it's certainly there. I predict he's going to have a 'defining' fight or crucial hit that solidifies him as a fan-favorite power forward for a long time to come (think T.J. Oshie's hit on Rick Nash back in the day.)
- Scandella should not be fighting, but I sincerely appreciate the sentiment behind it. We had just been talking about how yes, there were shit things about '80s-'90s hockey with all the clutching, grabbing, hooking, etc., but at least it was violent. Today's game is more like soccer. No one has any fear of just planting themselves in the crease. No one gets cleared. I saw one hit last night I'd call almost a real hit. It's just sad and depressing. So yes, thank you Marco, but there should be five other guys on this team stepping up before him. He just happened to be the guy there. All of that being said, it was clearly an accidental play, Marco reacted to the result.
Scandella came in to replace the fallen Jay Bouwmeester, and, well, those are some big skates to fill (J Bo isn't a triple gold guy for nothing). He did have some injury troubles, but never lived up to what we hoped he'd be. That said, this is also a contract year for Scandella, so I kinda suspect that plays a part in his performance this season, too.
- Many, MANY times, the Blues just let McJesus wander around alone. I'm blown away he didn't have double-digit points last night - that's on Binner. The Blues, collectively, seemed to have zero awareness of who was on the ice. They just left him alone at least 3/4 of the time he was out there. It was crazy.
Not sure what was going on there, especially considering McDavid had a hand in all three of Edmonton's goals. He's not the kind of player you ever want to take your eye off of.
- If Army gets calls, he needs to seriously entertain/fleece anyone who wants Kyrou. I've had it with that guy. I'd rather figure out how to account for his goals some other way than watch him rob the Blues. His level of give-a-shit is in the cellar. Zero effort 90% of the time. Constantly giving up on back-checking, constantly coasting. More often than not, he fumbles and/or gives up the puck, or passes it directly to the opponent. When he does have the puck, he plays like he doesn't trust anyone else he's on the ice with, yet somehow doesn't shoot nearly enough. He's Contract 1 Perron. Will/can he become a fantastic player? Sure. Here, now? No. He needs to be traded to understand that what he's doing comes with consequences. He'll get it together, but not with this coddling contract that's handcuffing the coaching staff.
Hmmm. I've already mentioned T.J. Oshie once in this post... :twisted:
- Krug is really, really small. Like, way smaller than I remembered him being. It's wild how he plays given his size.
He's always played bigger than his size, I've always liked that about him. His lack of offense, for an offense-first defenseman, is still concerning. Maybe he's turned a corner with SEVEN points in his last three games (that's over 25% of all of his points for the season so far). But the main 'problem' most have with him is his contract: $6.5 mil/yr for 3 more years with No-trade protection. Ouch.
- The Oilers were discombobulated most of the time, to the point I asked my buddy what the hell is going on with the Oilers. I kept thinking that because I haven't been watching them, I must have missed something. With that roster, no reason they should be playing so disorganized.
That's been the knock on them all season, and last night was another great example. After mid-way in the 2nd period, they took FIVE minor penalties, versus ZERO for the Blues. Props to the Blues for playing disciplined hockey, but Edmonton was certainly disorganized as well. Hard to come back when you're spending nearly half your time on the PK. Two PPGs and an ENG were the difference last night.
- Our "fourth" line was great every shift. Sucks they got that goal disallowed by half a second. I just wish they would lay more dudes out. Learn to mete devastating hits out like they're Pez.
IMHO, Oskar Sundqvist is the quintessential bottom-6 guy. He can make a lot happen even on the 4th line. And even if they're not putting up points, keeping relentless pressure on the other team, especially their goalie, while your top-9 can catch a breather and have their minutes managed judiciously, really helps in ways that go beyond the scoreboard.
- Country Roads - first things first, why the fuck was that moved to the second period? If you're going to make people endure it, at least make it mean something. The entire point is "take me home", meaning "we're in the middle of the third, bring it home Blues team". It is meaningless in the 2nd. Second, what the fuck is with the beginning of it, with some douche singing alternate "be nice" PSA lyrics? Just awful. I'm glad the entire arena was booing it. Fuck whoever that is, fuck whoever's idea this was.
Yeah, I don't know about this one either.

T.C. wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:52 am I went to the game last night. Here are my observations:
I agree 100%. We've seen enough of a sample over Kyrou's Blues career, he is wasting a lot of natural talent. Clearly, he doesn't care enough about building his hockey career, and about his teammates, to do the hard work to improve his game to become the best player he can be. It must be really hard for teammates like Binnington, Schenn, Sundqvist. Neighbours, Buchnevich, Walker, Toropchenko, and Thomas to see Kyrou not only coast in important games, but also not work hard on his weaknesses to improve his play to help his team win. I'm convinced that he is going to fall well short of his potential, and not become significantly better than he is now, unlike Thomas, who is finally breaking through into stardom. I'd trade him off as soon as possible, before other GMs realise that his upside is significantly lower than most casual onlookers guessed it should be, based on his natural physical talents. I still think Armstrong will hold onto Buchnevich for this season's playoffs; but, maybe he can deal Kyrou for a package of a draft choice and a young scoring forward from a non-playoff team, so The Blues can still compete to make the playoffs.

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:08 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:40 amAll I saw out of the Blues last night was crisp puck movement and a goalie with dick bigger than the Eiffel Tower.
Count that among the many things that surprise you... the popularity of rock and roll... why they canceled Fonzi... waking up in the morning.
Ever since the Blues won the Cup, I've questioned everything.

JMC-STL wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:01 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:08 pm
Ever since the Blues won the Cup, I've questioned everything.
I would believe it was rigged if Binnington wasn't pound for pound the greatest goalie of all times.

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:00 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:23 pm Kyrou has a FULL no-trads clause starting 25-26 season, so there's still time for kyrou to be traded or turn things around
I heard Berube got fired because he stuff Kyrou in a locker.
I'd be more inclined to hear he stuffed a locker in kyrou.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!