Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Detroit is already retaining 50% of Vrana's salary. I'm not sure on the rules if the Blues now trade him can more salary be retained by the Blues and he have it split between three teams? Feel like if that was allowed we'd have seen a lot more "middle men" on salary dump trades so guessing it's not legal. If not, the Blues will have to find a team with over 2 million and cap space and that wants him.

Such a difference from some of the high hopes for him before the season. There was 30 goal talk.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:06 pm Detroit is already retaining 50% of Vrana's salary. I'm not sure on the rules if the Blues now trade him can more salary be retained by the Blues and he have it split between three teams? Feel like if that was allowed we'd have seen a lot more "middle men" on salary dump trades so guessing it's not legal. If not, the Blues will have to find a team with over 2 million and cap space and that wants him.

Such a difference from some of the high hopes for him before the season. There was 30 goal talk.
Is he a poor man's Brad Boyes?

Bortuzzo's trade was more about respect for a veteran player in the twilight of his career going somewhere he can get some playing time and try to extend his career.

Something is going on with Vrana. His career shooting % is 14.1%. This season so far he's shooting 4.9%. I didn't expect him to keep up the 40-goal pace he had in his 20 games with us last season (shooting 17.9%), but still, he should have 6-7 goals instead of 2. A 25+ goal pace would be perfectly acceptable for a middle-6 player like him, IMHO. He's only 27, should be right in his prime, too.

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:51 pm Hey who's the one breaking more team news these days anyways, DeFranks or Rutherford?
Rutherford couldn't break wind in an elevator if he had just got done with a chili eating contest. Did I ever tell you about the time he and Mike Smith trolled RAMS Talk for clicks? Fuck that guy. He is the worst example of a reporter there is. I doubt he has ever picked up a hockey stick.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:59 am
Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:51 pm Hey who's the one breaking more team news these days anyways, DeFranks or Rutherford?
Rutherford couldn't break wind in an elevator if he had just got done with a chili eating contest. Did I ever tell you about the time he and Mike Smith trolled RAMS Talk for clicks? Fuck that guy. He is the worst example of a reporter there is. I doubt he has ever picked up a hockey stick.
I don't care if he's picked up a hockey stick or not, but he absolutely almost never breaks anything. He's too afraid to piss off the source, which is weak in a town with only 3 beat reporters. DeFranks has been the best beat reporter in the last 20 years in my opinion. He seems more willing to give a fair, but non-sugar coated take while also providing some analysis that previous beat reporters haven't.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:49 am Anyone have any names you hope the Blues look at for their coach??
NOT Mike Babcock!

Unfortunately, I think Joel Quenneville is "damaged goods" at this point, too.

About 6 months out-of-date, but some interesting thoughts here:

An Overview Of NHL Head Coaching Candidates (May 2023)

I don't take 'lack of playoff success' as too big of a knock right now, or for the next couple of years. IMHO, we're going to be a borderline playoff team for a little while yet, and building up a competitive, if not winning, culture in the regular season will be a big first step.

RAFritchey wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:46 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:49 am Anyone have any names you hope the Blues look at for their coach??
NOT Mike Babcock!

Unfortunately, I think Joel Quenneville is "damaged goods" at this point, too.

About 6 months out-of-date, but some interesting thoughts here:

An Overview Of NHL Head Coaching Candidates (May 2023)

I don't take 'lack of playoff success' as too big of a knock right now, or for the next couple of years. IMHO, we're going to be a borderline playoff team for a little while yet, and building up a competitive, if not winning, culture in the regular season will be a big first step.
It's an easy name to throw out there as a coaching candidate but I think Bruce Boudreau would be a good fit in righting the ship. He's got a calm demeanor with the players and has seen everything. We've got a lot of young guys who will be coming up through the system and he's a player's type of coach.

But I hope the Blues give Bannister a fair shot right now first and let's see what happens.
Last edited by BluesSK on Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also, here's how it was presented in his article.

What were your thoughts on the coaching change?

Does it seem like a fresh start?

Then came the third question.

There’s so much out there about the relationship between you and Berube. Is there anything you would want to say about that?

“I’ve got no comment,” Kyrou replied. “He’s not my coach anymore.”

I told Kyrou that I understood and we moved on to a different topic. The chat lasted three minutes, I said “Thanks” and walked away.

https://theathletic.com/5138044/2023/12 ... =twitterhq

versus how we all saw it presented on twitter. He didn't even provide the proper question that Kyrou responded to.

Jeremy Rutherford
@jprutherford
·
Dec 14
Kyrou on relationship with Berube: "I've got no comment. He's not my coach anymore." #stlblues

He also claimed to not have checked twitter for 3 hours after sending the tweet, even though he tweeted or retweeted 3 times in the following couple hours. He knew exactly what he was doing, he set Kyrou up with the tweet. Kyrou is not innocent in all of it, but JR is a slimeball. Personally wish the players would show some solidarity with their teammate and go media blackout with JR for a couple weeks.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread, I agree with your take….JR is a worm and he is a whore for clicks and comments. I still remember an interview with him when he put out the “Tarasenko demands to be traded” shit…..he basically admitted (and justified) that he will publish information that might not be entirely accurate, but he said he needed to do it to cultivate sources (specifically talking about agents). JR is one step away from publishing Taylor Swift stories at this point.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:03 am Also, here's how it was presented in his article.

There’s so much out there about the relationship between you and Berube. Is there anything you would want to say about that?

I told Kyrou that I understood and we moved on to a different topic. The chat lasted three minutes, I said “Thanks” and walked away.

versus how we all saw it presented on twitter. He didn't even provide the proper question that Kyrou responded to.

Jeremy Rutherford
@jprutherford
·
Dec 14
Kyrou on relationship with Berube: "I've got no comment. He's not my coach anymore." #stlblues

He also claimed to not have checked twitter for 3 hours after sending the tweet, even though he tweeted or retweeted 3 times in the following couple hours. He knew exactly what he was doing, he set Kyrou up with the tweet. Kyrou is not innocent in all of it, but JR is a slimeball. Personally wish the players would show some solidarity with their teammate and go media blackout with JR for a couple weeks.
They shouldn’t talk to him ever again… that story has gone viral. Schenn should throw him out of the locker room the hard way.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:25 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:03 am Also, here's how it was presented in his article.

Jeremy Rutherford
@jprutherford
·
Dec 14

They shouldn’t talk to him ever again… that story has gone viral. Schenn should throw him out of the locker room the hard way.

JR is a garbage reporter and a little twat as a person