Re: Berube Fired

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:08 am Say what you will about the job Army has done the last few years, but I've always loved his press conferences. He gives real answers to questions, takes appropriate responsibility, and doesn't dodge questions unless there's an obvious reason to do so.
Well from my perception of it, most Blues fans are saying the wrong man lost his job.
Just a Russian propaganda account

The timing caught everyone off guard.

As far as Army goes, he’s here for the long haul. He isn’t going anywhere. He’s a Cup winning GM and ownership is behind him 100%. And I can’t say I disagree with keeping him as our GM.

I think Army is the perfect GM to have when the infusion of kids hit the lineup.

It’s all good. Just don’t get why they didn’t keep Vrana if they were going to bring in a new HC. And if Bannister is that good, maybe Army wanted to give him a look here first and see what he’s got before possibly losing him somewhere else.

It isn’t always pretty, but Doug gets results.

Blues will be good again before you know it.

BillP wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:33 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:16 pm Who wins another cup 1st? Chief of Arny?
Army

I think Binner has another run in him. If he can manage to stay here until this team reinvents itself again, I like our chances.
Your never wavering optimism about the Blues is admirable.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:16 pm Who wins another cup 1st? Chief of Arny?
I'm going with Chief. Blues still haven't quite bottomed out in my estimation and will have to build back up for a few years before they even have a chance to seriously contend, let alone actually win. New coaches win Cups all the time. Looking at the last few Cup winners, Bruce Cassidy won the Cup in Vegas in his second year. Berube obviously won in his first in 2019, Mike Sullivan went back to back his first two years in Pittsburgh, Darryl Sutter won in 2 of his first 3 years in LA, Quennville won in his second in Chicago, and Dan Bylsma won his first year in Pittsburgh. I wasn't planning on going back that far, but when I looked at the list of Cup winners the last few years it was incredibly easy to see.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:33 pm
Army

I think Binner has another run in him. If he can manage to stay here until this team reinvents itself again, I like our chances.
At this rate, by the time that reinvention takes place Binnington might be the head coach.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:19 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:08 am Say what you will about the job Army has done the last few years, but I've always loved his press conferences. He gives real answers to questions, takes appropriate responsibility, and doesn't dodge questions unless there's an obvious reason to do so.
Well from my perception of it, most Blues fans are saying the wrong man lost his job.
Most Blues fans are wrong. 😄

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:32 am Army press conference about to start if you're able to view. Link here:
So I've been reading some articles about the press conference and this is the first time I can recall Armstrong talking about buying guys out and retaining salary.

I think there could be big changes coming. I feel that it's going to be all about youth now.

This whole sentimentality about Berube is nice and all and fans feel loyal to the guy but this is the second season of this and we are trending in the wrong direction. People can bitch about the makeup of the roster but it was Berube's job to get something out of these guys.

It was Berube's responsibility to fix the power play. He failed at that. It was his job to motivate the players to play hard. We haven't had a player on the IR all season. Was that luck? No. Injuries are a part of the game and they come from playing hard. He failed at that too. This is an NHL roster no matter how much we like or dislike the players. It wasn't a groups of kids on a rebuilding team. It wasn't an expansion team roster. This is a valid roster.

He had to go.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:47 am

That's interesting. Said he's a consultant that's been looking at the PP the last few days.
Ah yes, bringing in the Bobs. I can see half this roster/coaching staff sitting across the table from him, struggling to answer the first question: “What would you say it is you do here?”

T.C. wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:32 am

That's interesting. Said he's a consultant that's been looking at the PP the last few days.
Ah yes, bringing in the Bobs. I can see half this roster/coaching staff sitting across the table from him, struggling to answer the first question: “What would you say it is you do here?”
That Sammy Blais is a straight shooter with upper management written all over him!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:15 am

That Sammy Blais is a straight shooter with upper management written all over him!
Let's not jump to conclusions.

T.C. wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:02 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:15 am

Let's not jump to conclusions.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:22 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:19 pm
Most Blues fans are wrong. 😄
Are you saying in general or specifically about Berube?

https://theathletic.com/5133019/2023/12 ... be-firing/

ST. LOUIS — There are coaches you have no choice but to fire because of the circumstances, but Craig Berube wasn’t one of them.

Forget the Stanley Cup in 2019.

A team wins the Cup every season, and even when it’s the franchise’s first like it was for the St. Louis Blues, eventually those teams’ coaches get let go.

This was bound to happen at some point.

But not 28 games into the 2023-24 season. Not two months after general manager Doug Armstrong was asked if this was a playoff team and replied: “I’d love to get third place” in the Central Division. Not when the No. 1 reason the club’s record is 13-14-1 in mid-December is because players on long-term contracts aren’t performing.

This was an executive issue and an execution issue — not a coaching issue.

The problems didn’t start when the Blues couldn’t score at the start of the season or when they got blitzed by the San Jose Sharks. They began when Alex Pietrangelo wasn’t re-signed, and player after player was brought in to try to build the roster back up, which led to a lineup that was never as good as it once was and finally caught up to them last season. They continued against Detroit on Tuesday when the Blues couldn’t defend the front of their net, nor hang onto the puck on a six-on-four power play that turned into an empty-net goal and a 6-4 loss to the Red Wings.

It was the Blues’ season-high fourth straight defeat, and they have dropped five out of six, including recent losses to Columbus and Chicago — both at the bottom of the NHL standings.

It certainly wasn’t the right direction, but few would’ve believed that Tuesday’s game could be Berube’s last with the Blues.

On Tuesday afternoon, TSN’s reputable Darren Dreger touched on the topic during “Insider Trading.”

“There’s growing discontent and frustration there at all levels,” he said. “The team just isn’t responding the way that management and ownership expected that they would to this point in the season.

“This Blues team is not that hard-checking team that the organization is accustomed to seeing. So, the players either adjust and change, or management — in this case Doug Armstrong — is going to have to step in. And if they don’t change, if there isn’t an adjustment, you could see a very good coach, Craig Berube, on his way out.”

Sure, the Blues have had time to get things turned around, but it would only be a matter of hours before Armstrong stepped in and Berube was replaced by AHL Springfield coach Drew Bannister on an interim basis.

Before the news broke late, I spoke with Blues defenseman Torey Krug at his locker Tuesday night and asked about the possibility of the team moving on from Berube.

“I didn’t even know that that was a topic of conversation,” he said. “I don’t think there’s an issue with the message. I think, frankly, we have to perform better. We have guys that just need to step up. Whether you think you’re deserving of a bigger role or you have a new role this year or you have guys who are trying to have bounce-back years, you’ve got to perform, and at the end of the day, it falls on us as players to perform.

“Yeah, (Berube) is trying. You can only poke the bear so many different ways in order to get a response. Like I said, it all falls on us as players to perform better.”

Yes, it was Berube’s job to get them to perform, and you can point to a lot of areas where that wasn’t happening.

The penalty-killing unit had another short-handed goal Tuesday, and with its NHL-leading eighth of the year, officially passed the much-maligned power play that has seven.

Jordan Kyrou, who had 37 goals last season, is still stuck on five goals in 2023-24, and his relationship with Berube has often been said to be tense.

Could Bannister be the guy who can unlock some areas and players?

Well, it worked in Edmonton, where Kris Knoblach replaced Jay Woodcroft and the Oilers have now won eight in a row. And it seems to have helped in Minnesota, where John Hynes took over for Dean Evason and the Wild have won five of seven.

But two things: No. 1, both Edmonton and Minnesota had higher expectations coming into this season. The Oilers were a preseason pick by many to contend for the Stanley Cup. The Blues weren’t in that category. No. 2, what had Woodcroft and Evason ever done? They hadn’t won a Stanley Cup or nearly 300 games in the NHL, like Berube.

Again, that doesn’t guarantee you anything, but if he was the guy Armstrong was comfortable having as coach at the start of the season, what changed? The Blues are seven points behind Winnipeg for third place in the Central Division, which Armstrong said he would love to get, and 54 games remain in the regular season.

There’s only one reason I can see that Armstrong made this decision, and you have to go back to something he said in October.

“I’m not (as) concerned about where we fit in the standings, quite honestly, as, ‘Do we build that foundation back to where it was in the past and can we start building something to put us in the same spot where I view Colorado and Dallas now, with experienced players that have the pedigree and the perception that they should be winning championships?’” he said at the time. “We have been there for the better part of a decade. We’re not there today, and my goal was to build this foundation to get back there as quick as possible.”

Evidently, Armstrong didn’t think Berube was the coach who could get that foundation back to where it was.

That’s fine.

You’ll remember it was Armstrong who didn’t think Mike Yeo could get the Blues to the Cup, and in 2018, he replaced him with Berube, who got the job done. Bannister could come in, and while the club isn’t anywhere poised to win a championship in the near term, perhaps he’s the one who starts the building. If not him, perhaps it’s the team’s permanent hire, whenever that happens.

But even if that turns out to be the case, there’s a strong case to be made that Berube was not the problem. Those problems will still exist on Thursday when the Ottawa Senators and Vladimir Tarasenko come to town.

Hopefully, for the Blues’ sake, it won’t be a situation like Tuesday against Detroit, when ex-Blues Robby Fabbri and Jake Walman scored and Ville Husso got the win in net. Heck, the Red Wings didn’t even need David Perron, who was watching from the press box as he served his six-game suspension.

It was a reminder of the turnover on a roster that Armstrong is responsible for — a roster that’s now not nearly good enough, and as a result, the GM has elected instead to bring in his fifth head coach.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:21 pm Screenshot_20231214_161956_Gallery.jpg
After thinking about this and the events afterwards, I'm glad someone mentioned something.

Other players said all the right things like they always tend to do but did they really mean them? This team really did quit.

I'm happy someone was honest about it... even if he had to eat his words after.

Bannister said something interesting after last night's game. Basically it was,
Interim Blues coach Drew Bannister after first win: 'It's not about me'
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/profess ... eeca2.html

He's the low key type of guy we need right now. I really think Berube's alpha dog style was wearing on some of these guys. They aren't even talking about playoffs which is good. They're just trying to right the ship and get to .500 and go from there.

I'm prepared to cut Kyrou some slack. i hope Blues fans do too.