Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

We are currently (05 Dec) 7th in most shots allowed per game played, but 18th in goals allowed per game. Binner and Hofer are a combined .9100 SV%, which is OK, but not amazing.

We're also 24th in shots per game, and tied 22nd - 23rd in goals for per game, which is more in line.

So, IMHO, our goaltending is what's keeping us as a 'bubble' playoff team, even though they're being hung out to dry all too often.

We need to turn those shot numbers around, then we can probably be more clearly a playoff-level team.

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:05 pm We are currently (05 Dec) 7th in most shots allowed per game played, but 18th in goals allowed per game. Binner and Hofer are a combined .9100 SV%, which is OK, but not amazing.

We're also 24th in shots per game, and tied 22nd - 23rd in goals for per game, which is more in line.

So, IMHO, our goaltending is what's keeping us as a 'bubble' playoff team, even though they're being hung out to dry all too often.

We need to turn those shot numbers around, then we can probably be more clearly a playoff-level team.
The goaltending is absolutely what's kept the team afloat this season, though I wonder how those rankings break out just in the West, and first 10 games vs. last 10-15. Lots of trash teams in the West, and I think the Blues got off to a really slow start but were buoyed by Binnington playing out of his mind.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:29 pm
RAFritchey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:05 pm We are currently (05 Dec) 7th in most shots allowed per game played, but 18th in goals allowed per game. Binner and Hofer are a combined .9100 SV%, which is OK, but not amazing.

The goaltending is absolutely what's kept the team afloat this season, though I wonder how those rankings break out just in the West, and first 10 games vs. last 10-15. Lots of trash teams in the West, and I think the Blues got off to a really slow start but were buoyed by Binnington playing out of his mind.
Well, Binnington is saving 9.7 goals above expected (Hofer is 1 goal below expected). That's the 6th best in the league, There's no doubt our goaltending in general is keeping us in contention for at least a wild-card spot so far. Vegas is really getting awesome goaltending so far, though, with Adin Hill (#1 at 12.6 GSAE) and Logan Thompson (#7 at 9.5 GSAE). It looks like we have the second best overall Goals Saved Above Expected in the West after Vegas.

Moneypuck.com

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:42 pm He stuck around longer than Sanford, too, he's got one goal through 14 games in the minors this year. Bortz was a true Blue, just a shame we couldn't package him with D'Agostini and a 3rd for someone like Ian Cole..
So after the last game, Chief was bitching about team toughness, and they just gave away the toughest guy on the team. SMFH

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:56 pm
Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:42 pm He stuck around longer than Sanford, too, he's got one goal through 14 games in the minors this year. Bortz was a true Blue, just a shame we couldn't package him with D'Agostini and a 3rd for someone like Ian Cole..
So after the last game, Chief was bitching about team toughness, and they just gave away the toughest guy on the team. SMFH
He's got one of the Blues two fighting majors this year. Only other was the Captain.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:10 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:56 pm
He's got one of the Blues two fighting majors this year. Only other was the Captain.
I’m getting sour on the captain if he’s gonna allow the opposition to run his goalie…

Getting housed by Vegas, that happens. They are a great team and can do that to almost anyone. But to just get your dick kicked in by Columbus is a tough tough pill to swallow. At what point does Stillman and Army admit to themselves this isn't working? Army has spent to the cap to build an at best, below average roster.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:37 am Getting housed by Vegas, that happens. They are a great team and can do that to almost anyone. But to just get your dick kicked in by Columbus is a tough tough pill to swallow. At what point does Stillman and Army admit to themselves this isn't working? Army has spent to the cap to build an at best, below average roster.
I think changes are coming soon. If they look bad tonight it's definite.

There is little to enjoy watching this team play... and if the organization considers this a "throw away"' season... then why should fans care? Shit is too expensive to put up with a product that is this bad. My Spidey-sense is telling me there is more going on here behind the scenes... the on ice effort is ridiculous. I havent seen a team this bad since '05-'06.

There is little to enjoy watching this team play... and if the organization considers this a "throw away"' season... then why should fans care? Shit is too expensive to put up with a product that is this bad. My Spidey-sense is telling me there is more going on here behind the scenes... the on ice effort is ridiculous. I havent seen a team this bad since '05-'06.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:28 am There is little to enjoy watching this team play... and if the organization considers this a "throw away"' season... then why should fans care? Shit is too expensive to put up with a product that is this bad. My Spidey-sense is telling me there is more going on here behind the scenes... the on ice effort is ridiculous. I havent seen a team this bad since '05-'06.
They're just some rich broad's tax write-off, anyway.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:05 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:28 am There is little to enjoy watching this team play... and if the organization considers this a "throw away"' season... then why should fans care? Shit is too expensive to put up with a product that is this bad. My Spidey-sense is telling me there is more going on here behind the scenes... the on ice effort is ridiculous. I havent seen a team this bad since '05-'06.
They're moving the team to Florida!

CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:16 pm
Every player on the team right now:

To your original point, it really is a tougher team to watch the last 2 seasons. The lack of identity is apparent along with the lack of consistency. You see flashes on occaision, but there's just not a lot of reason to get excited. The hot goaltending that kept the team afloat early in the year can't last forever, and even above average goaltending won't be enough to keep the team in the playoff hunt at this rate.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!