Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:01 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:47 pm Great job boys eh. Bleep! Bleep!

Now you know what high school or a work site in Saskatchewan soinds like.
It's weird to think Chief has coached the 3rd most games in team history. I feel like he is still relatively new in my mind but it's 6 years later. Only Hitch and Q have coached/won more.
I thought Scotty would coach the Blues for 20 years and they'd win The Cup 6-7 times during that span. Instead, he and The Saiomons were gone, poof, with almost no warning, and my hopes for The Blues were dashed for quite a long period, until The '90s. Hard to believe Berube is already 3rd! :o

No one, and I mean NO ONE on this team outworks Torpo. He may not have the most skill but he never stops working. Chief needs to reward him and stop giving more ice time to Kap. Give him some PP time, I don't care. If you want this team to "buy in" and give effort every night then you need to reward the guys that are doing it.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:43 am No one, and I mean NO ONE on this team outworks Torpo. He may not have the most skill but he never stops working. Chief needs to reward him and stop giving more ice time to Kap. Give him some PP time, I don't care. If you want this team to "buy in" and give effort every night then you need to reward the guys that are doing it.
this is the classic "Dallas Drake as Captain" scenario. reward the guys giving the effort and the team will follow. i support this.

So, at the quarter-season mark, which would people prefer: Sell at the deadline for a couple of draft picks (likely in the 3rd -5th rounds at best) and try to get a better draft position (likely something in the 8-16 range), or make the playoffs as a wild card?

IMHO, a winning culture and playoff experience (even if we get knocked out in the first round), plus the extra playoff income, outweighs a mediocre draft position and some mid-round picks. And if we make it past the first round, everything else is gravy.

RAFritchey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:25 pm So, at the quarter-season mark, which would people prefer: Sell at the deadline for a couple of draft picks (likely in the 3rd -5th rounds at best) and try to get a better draft position (likely something in the 8-16 range), or make the playoffs as a wild card?

IMHO, a winning culture and playoff experience (even if we get knocked out in the first round), plus the extra playoff income, outweighs a mediocre draft position and some mid-round picks. And if we make it past the first round, everything else is gravy.
I really want this team to be firmly in a playoff spot before I would stand pat. Not just a wild card spot either.

I think this team is still too inconsistent and if there are chances to move players who don't fit in the Blues long range plans they should be moved. Now which players? Scandella, that's an easy one. Vrana for sure (if he can be moved). What about Kapanen, Blais or Sunny D? They are all on expiring contracts. These guys are all in their prime. Are they in or out?

Neighbours is so perfect for the first line. You have Thomas who can get anyone the puck anywhere on the ice and will create his own scoring chances partnered with Buchy who is a sniper who can play a 200 foot game. Neighbours being the big body to set screens and big in rebounds? He can score 30+ in this role. He can be a modern lite version of Walt Tkachuk.

It's nice to see him coming into his own in a Blues jersey. We all had to watch Tage Thompson do it from a fair so it's nice to see it happen up close.

I am currently doing a deep dive of his family tree to see if there's any Russian in there some where. There's got to be, I just know it by the way he plays.

RAFritchey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:25 pm So, at the quarter-season mark, which would people prefer: Sell at the deadline for a couple of draft picks (likely in the 3rd -5th rounds at best) and try to get a better draft position (likely something in the 8-16 range), or make the playoffs as a wild card?

Generally I agree that the winning culture element is overlooked. Missing the playoffs happens, but selling at the deadline year after year can be problematic. Sometimes like last year it made all the sense in the world to pull the chute and sell off the UFAs for picks. They did fairly well in those trades and it seemed unlikely most of those guys were a fit to come back. For me this year specifically, I don't think there's much value in the UFAs anyway. If the AHL guys are playing well, maybe you dump some of them for whatever you can get, but only if you think the AHL guy that's going to fill in can maintain Blues place in the standings.

Of course if the wheels fall of between now and then, go ahead and trade away whatever you want at the deadline.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:04 am

Generally I agree that the winning culture element is overlooked. Missing the playoffs happens, but selling at the deadline year after year can be problematic. Sometimes like last year it made all the sense in the world to pull the chute and sell off the UFAs for picks. They did fairly well in those trades and it seemed unlikely most of those guys were a fit to come back. For me this year specifically, I don't think there's much value in the UFAs anyway. If the AHL guys are playing well, maybe you dump some of them for whatever you can get, but only if you think the AHL guy that's going to fill in can maintain Blues place in the standings.

Of course if the wheels fall of between now and then, go ahead and trade away whatever you want at the deadline.
Blues don't really have much to sell at the deadline this year anyway. Certainly not the plethora of options they had last year. Just Vrana who can't get in the lineup, Kap who is decent, and contracts to offload. It's in this teams best interest to be a playoff team this year.

BluesSK wrote:

I really want this team to be firmly in a playoff spot before I would stand pat. Not just a wild card spot either.

I think this team is still too inconsistent and if there are chances to move players who don't fit in the Blues long range plans they should be moved. Now which players? Scandella, that's an easy one. Vrana for sure (if he can be moved). What about Kapanen, Blais or Sunny D? They are all on expiring contracts. These guys are all in their prime. Are they in or out?
I think the team will have to crash and burn before Army would sell pieces off. I just watched the highlights of the game last night and they looked good on the highlights. It's fools gold, no doubt. So what's this with Neighbours? He's got 9 goals now. Is he really the next Ken Morrow? If he really turns into something, then maybe we got some potential this year. Just sayin.................

BillP. wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:24 pm
BluesSK wrote:

I think the team will have to crash and burn before Army would sell pieces off. I just watched the highlights of the game last night and they looked good on the highlights. It's fools gold, no doubt. So what's this with Neighbours? He's got 9 goals now. Is he really the next Ken Morrow? If he really turns into something, then maybe we got some potential this year. Just sayin.................
I don’t think this team will have the long term suck that last years was capable of. It’s going to take major injuries for the Blues to be completely out of it come deadline

BillP. wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:24 pm
BluesSK wrote:

He's sold pieces off before. I think he's looking long term. He's already said we're retooling, not contending. We just don't have the depth yet. We could have an injury or two and be right back out of it. Getting into the playoffs would be a feel good story but we want to win the Cup.

I could see him re-signing a guy like Kapanen but I just can't see him letting pieces walk that can converted into future assets.

T.C. wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:34 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:43 am No one, and I mean NO ONE on this team outworks Torpo. He may not have the most skill but he never stops working. Chief needs to reward him and stop giving more ice time to Kap. Give him some PP time, I don't care. If you want this team to "buy in" and give effort every night then you need to reward the guys that are doing it.
this is the classic "Dallas Drake as Captain" scenario. reward the guys giving the effort and the team will follow. i support this.
And he's not just working hard during games, he's clearly been working in practice on his finishing moves and shot. He might eventually turn into a valuable two-way 3rd liner, who can help out regularly and significantly, with moderate scoring.