Re: News and Games around the NHL

Based on the excerpt from AP that I posted above mentioning the possibilities of "betting illegally or with an off-shore outlet" - coupled with the Ottawa Sun references to "unusual activity" and "integrity protection" - isn't there significant probability that Pinto was suspended for a relatively lengthy period due to illegal and/or player ethical breaches related to his choice of bookies?

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:15 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:27 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:58 pm

Hypothetically... what if hockey players that bet on football, and football players that bet on hockey were trading fuck-ups???
If sports are worried about that, then why are they leaning so hard into sports betting? Some rich finance guy with a thousands of dollars a day coke habit in NY is much more likely to pay a player to fix a game than a 22 year old player for Ottawa, hypothetically.
Who said anything about paying? "You miss a couple blocks...You drop a ball or two...I'll make shitty passes, and shoot wide all night long...and we'll place our bets, accordingly"
If that was the case, you'd simply have a mutual friend place the bets. If the league was actually concerned about it, they wouldn't be actively promoting gambling while simultaneously punishing it's billboards for doing it.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Fuck that’s terrifying. Reading a couple articles, his neck was sliced by a skate blade after a player on the opposing team tried to “tackle” one of his teammates.

I’m not sure what kind of protection you’re envisioning that wouldn’t potentially cause more injuries when players absorb hits while looking downward, etc. I mean, I agree with you, I just don’t know that it’s possible with any kind of tech we have today. Players have knives on their feet and have to be aware of that. Every great once in a while, someone will inadvertently get cut, hopefully not in a terrible manner.

T.C. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:16 am Fuck that’s terrifying. Reading a couple articles, his neck was sliced by a skate blade after a player on the opposing team tried to “tackle” one of his teammates.

I’m not sure what kind of protection you’re envisioning that wouldn’t potentially cause more injuries when players absorb hits while looking downward, etc. I mean, I agree with you, I just don’t know that it’s possible with any kind of tech we have today. Players have knives on their feet and have to be aware of that. Every great once in a while, someone will inadvertently get cut, hopefully not in a terrible manner.
Yeah Ive refused to watch the video but from what I’ve heard that sounds about right.

As for the equipment, they already make em they’ve just never been incorporated by most leagues as far as I know. I’ve seen some goalies wear them.

https://www.purehockey.com/product/ccm- ... /41498-41/

They can even be built into the undershirt as a turtleneck.

https://www.icewarehouse.com/Bauer_Neck ... PLS22.html

While we bitch and moan about the d corps and inconsistent effort from forward, look to San Jose for perspective. The Blues are on pace for 82 points, which might be disappointing, but wouldn't be a total disaster. The Sharks are in rebuild mode, so what's their point pace? 65? 60? No. With 1 point through 9 games, they are on pace for 9 points this season.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:21 pm While we bitch and moan about the d corps and inconsistent effort from forward, look to San Jose for perspective. The Blues are on pace for 82 points, which might be disappointing, but wouldn't be a total disaster. The Sharks are in rebuild mode, so what's their point pace? 65? 60? No. With 1 point through 9 games, they are on pace for 9 points this season.
Well, that's a team that has no illusions of competing and they certainly aren't haha. They are in full rebuild. Their top D pairing is Mario Ferrero and Ty Emberson.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:30 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:21 pm While we bitch and moan about the d corps and inconsistent effort from forward, look to San Jose for perspective. The Blues are on pace for 82 points, which might be disappointing, but wouldn't be a total disaster. The Sharks are in rebuild mode, so what's their point pace? 65? 60? No. With 1 point through 9 games, they are on pace for 9 points this season.
Well, that's a team that has no illusions of competing and they certainly aren't haha. They are in full rebuild. Their top D pairing is Mario Ferrero and Ty Emberson.
The sad thing is they are probably further ahead than we are in terms of returning to relevance.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:34 pm
The sad thing is they are probably further ahead than we are in terms of returning to relevance.
Will Smith is a nice building block for them. Speaking of which though, Dvorsky is looking NICE. Sick sick hands and nasty move.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:39 pm
BluesSK wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:34 pm

Will Smith is a nice building block for them. Speaking of which though, Dvorsky is looking NICE. Sick sick hands and nasty move.

We need all the help we can get. Our older prospects (2021 draft and earlier) aren't doing all that much it seems. 🤔

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:02 amI think the league will mandate them if they can figure out how to put advertising on the neck guard.
HUGE opportunity for Osh's side hustle and his pass-backwards thinking employers to develop & introduce (in about 10 years when they realize they've lost 85% of their audience) a head-to-toe combo advertising projection screen & hockey-strong protective body suit. QUICK, @T.C. - Patent that, and you'll be able to demand full-boat Blues season tickets in a Club-level suite AND free-for-life highest-def-imagineable unlimited streaming privileges!