Re: News and Games around the NHL

The NHL finally released it's player tracking data website. It's a little slow, probably because it's getting a ton of use right after launching this morning. I'm not sure how useful the data is for this year just yet since it's only been a few games, but they have complete info for the last 2 full seasons as well. I'm sure some info is more instructive/telling than others, but it'll be fun to play around with as the year goes on:
https://edge.nhl.com/en/home
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:48 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:12 am The Bruins have given up just 7 goals and are 5-0. They were supposed to take a big step back this year with their off-season loses/retirements but Monty has a great system in place there and two world class goalies. Impressive regular season team.
Detroit is back too at 5-1. Too bad they don't have a Nick Leddy to round out their team.
All in favor, say "Bye!"

Fantastic. That’s exactly why fighting should remain in this game. If you’re going to take bitch shots like that, expect to pay the price. Not some manufactured, pro wrestling bullshit. That being said, Tuch is quite happy to take Tkachuk off the ice for 5 there, even though he got his ass handed to him.

T.C. wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:57 am Fantastic. That’s exactly why fighting should remain in this game. If you’re going to take bitch shots like that, expect to pay the price. Not some manufactured, pro wrestling bullshit. That being said, Tuch is quite happy to take Tkachuk off the ice for 5 there, even though he got his ass handed to him.
Exactly. I don't care how many fights there are, I just want to see the right fights.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:13 pm Dafuq is a centralized draft?
I think similar to how the NFL,NBA does it. No more GMs at tables all in one room in the same city. They can be back at their own offices.

IF that's what it's about, I'm for it. The days of GMs getting up, making deals on the floor and that drama seems over and I don't need to see a parade of front office people walk up and give a 5 minute speech on the hospitality they've received. Make it about the players being drafted. Give them the tables, not sitting in the crowd.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:58 pm
I think similar to how the NFL,NBA does it. No more GMs at tables all in one room in the same city. They can be back at their own offices.

IF that's what it's about, I'm for it. The days of GMs getting up, making deals on the floor and that drama seems over and I don't need to see a parade of front office people walk up and give a 5 minute speech on the hospitality they've received. Make it about the players being drafted. Give them the tables, not sitting in the crowd.
It was the Arizona Coyotes and their matching suits that sealed the deal to go to a decentralized draft

BluesSK wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:23 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:58 pm

It was the Arizona Coyotes and their matching suits that sealed the deal to go to a decentralized draft
They probably requested the change since they can't afford t new suits every year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:48 am I just want to say Shane Pinto being suspended for sports betting on NON NHL GAMES while playing for a team with a sports betting ad on their helmet is the most “what the hell are we doing here” thing. It’s dumb
It's happening in all the sports leagues, and it's dumb in every one of them. They're trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:07 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:48 am I just want to say Shane Pinto being suspended for sports betting on NON NHL GAMES while playing for a team with a sports betting ad on their helmet is the most “what the hell are we doing here” thing. It’s dumb
It's happening in all the sports leagues, and it's dumb in every one of them. They're trying to have their cake and eat it too.
At least with Calvin Ridley in the NFL, he was betting on other NFL games. That I can understand. This though, I can not fathom why it's illegal while also actively promoting sports betting.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:12 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:07 am
At least with Calvin Ridley in the NFL, he was betting on other NFL games. That I can understand. This though, I can not fathom why it's illegal while also actively promoting sports betting.
Ah, didn't realize he was betting on NFL games. Anyway, super dumb, but they're not about to turn away the sports betting money cannon now that they've turned on the faucet.

T.C. wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:23 am
what?? that's fucking insane. between this and RSNs, the stupidest fucking league.
It is unclear how Pinto violated the sports wagering policy. According to the NHL, "The League's investigation found no evidence that Pinto made any wagers on NHL games."

According to the Ottawa Sun, Pinto had an online gambling account in the U.S. that was flagged by an NHL integrity protection partner, which alerted the league. The Sun writes that it was "because of unusual activity."

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/387 ... s-gambling

Maybe he was doing something nefarious, but on the surface it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:31 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:48 amI just want to say Shane Pinto being suspended for sports betting on NON NHL GAMES while playing for a team with a sports betting ad on their helmet is the most “what the hell are we doing here” thing. It’s dumb.
what?? that's fucking insane. between this and RSNs, the stupidest fucking league.
It is unclear how Pinto violated the sports wagering policy. According to the NHL, "The League's investigation found no evidence that Pinto made any wagers on NHL games."

According to the Ottawa Sun, Pinto had an online gambling account in the U.S. that was flagged by an NHL integrity protection partner, which alerted the league. The Sun writes that it was "because of unusual activity."

Maybe he was doing something nefarious, but on the surface it doesn't make a lot of sense.
This AP article might be digging at the "unusual activity" angle ...
... Several experts said if an athlete does all of their betting illegally or with an off-shore outlet, it could be significantly more difficult to find proof. A whistleblower could help in that department, and integrity companies often have contacts at so-called 'gray market' betting outlets that could provide information.

JMC-STL wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:29 pm

... Several experts said if an athlete does all of their betting illegally or with an off-shore outlet, it could be significantly more difficult to find proof. A whistleblower could help in that department, and integrity companies often have contacts at so-called 'gray market' betting outlets that could provide information.
If he's not betting on the NHL what do they care? Evander Kane is allowed to play blackjack all he wants, can't a man bet on a little sunday football anymore? It's not like he has influence over the outcome. This is why I could never become a pro hockey player. Not my age or lack of skill but because I wouldn't want to give up sports betting.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:13 pm

If he's not betting on the NHL what do they care? Evander Kane is allowed to play blackjack all he wants, can't a man bet on a little sunday football anymore? It's not like he has influence over the outcome. This is why I could never become a pro hockey player. Not my age or lack of skill but because I wouldn't want to give up sports betting.
Hypothetically... what if hockey players that bet on football, and football players that bet on hockey were trading fuck-ups???
Last edited by Turk Sanderson on Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holy shit... I just looked it up and sure as shit Betway is their home helmet ad logo...

What in the flying fuck is Bettman doing!?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:58 pm
Hypothetically... what if hockey players that bet on football, and football players that bet on hockey were trading fuck-ups???
If sports are worried about that, then why are they leaning so hard into sports betting? Some rich finance guy with a thousands of dollars a day coke habit in NY is much more likely to pay a player to fix a game than a 22 year old player for Ottawa, hypothetically.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:27 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:58 pm

If sports are worried about that, then why are they leaning so hard into sports betting? Some rich finance guy with a thousands of dollars a day coke habit in NY is much more likely to pay a player to fix a game than a 22 year old player for Ottawa, hypothetically.
Who said anything about paying? "You miss a couple blocks...You drop a ball or two...I'll make shitty passes, and shoot wide all night long...and we'll place our bets, accordingly"