Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:11 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:45 pm Per JR's twitter account (I don't have Twitter I have a "things that may interest you" feed in my google chrome) buch out 1-2 weeks so 5 days off not exactly a bad thing?
Yeah, the timing might actually work to the team's benefit. It will be interesting to see how they manage the lineup if the injury is indeed short term. Will they shuffle the forwards and get Alexandrov in the lineup? Will they call up a skill guy from Springfield? Will they go 7 D? I'd believe any of the above.
This is why Jake Neighbours is on the team. Saad likely goes to the top line, move Neighbours, put Alexandrov on the fourth line.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:46 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:45 pm Per JR's twitter account (I don't have Twitter I have a "things that may interest you" feed in my google chrome) buch out 1-2 weeks so 5 days off not exactly a bad thing?
Yeah, the timing might actually work to the team's benefit. It will be interesting to see how they manage the lineup if the injury is indeed short term. Will they shuffle the forwards and get Alexandrov in the lineup? Will they call up a skill guy from Springfield? Will they go 7 D? I'd believe any of the above.
This is why Jake Neighbours is on the team. Saad likely goes to the top line, move Neighbours, put Alexandrov on the fourth line.
That was my first thought, but I wonder if they go 7 D at some point to get Perunovich a game.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:57 pm

That was my first thought, but I wonder if they go 7 D at some point to get Perunovich a game.
Knowing Berube's coaching style, you can count on it.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:57 pm

You actually might be on to something there because the PP has been atrocious but he won't want to take Tucker or Scandella out because the PK has been very good. This gives you a chance to try Perun on the PP without altering your defense.

In positive Blues prospect news after the rough start Dvorsky has found himself in, the 2022 class is looking strong.

Snuggie has picked up right where he left off for his sophomore year at Minnesota scoring 4 goals in their first 2 games. Two in each game. This is great news after losing Logan Cooley as his center. 2023 first rounder Oliver Moore is his new center.

As well as third rounders from that same 2022 class, Buchinger has 5 point in his first 6 playing D for Guelph and Finnish forward Aleksanteri Kaskimaki who had just 3 goals in 41 games last year in Finland has 3 in his first 9 this year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:39 am In positive Blues prospect news after the rough start Dvorsky has found himself in, the 2022 class is looking strong.

Snuggie has picked up right where he left off for his sophomore year at Minnesota scoring 4 goals in their first 2 games. Two in each game. This is great news after losing Logan Cooley as his center. 2023 first rounder Oliver Moore is his new center.

As well as third rounders from that same 2022 class, Buchinger has 5 point in his first 6 playing D for Guelph and Finnish forward Aleksanteri Kaskimaki who had just 3 goals in 41 games last year in Finland has 3 in his first 9 this year.
Snuggerud playing without Cooley this year will be very interesting to watch. Glad it's off to a good start. If this ship is going to get turned around a little faster than expected, it's going to be due to guys like Snuggerud, Bolduc and Dean popping. Neighbours seems to be on track to be the low ceiling NHLer that the draft gurus sort of had him pegged as, and I don't really consider 25 year old Perunovich a prospect anymore. A couple of those young forwards are going to have to hit if this team is going to contend as the current lineup gets old and slow.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:37 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:39 am In positive Blues prospect news after the rough start Dvorsky has found himself in, the 2022 class is looking strong.

Snuggerud playing without Cooley this year will be very interesting to watch. Glad it's off to a good start. If this ship is going to get turned around a little faster than expected, it's going to be due to guys like Snuggerud, Bolduc and Dean popping. Neighbours seems to be on track to be the low ceiling NHLer that the draft gurus sort of had him pegged as, and I don't really consider 25 year old Perunovich a prospect anymore. A couple of those young forwards are going to have to hit if this team is going to contend as the current lineup gets old and slow.
The Blues had a dry spell after the Robert Thomas pick so they definitely need to recover from it prospect wise. Their next top picks in the following three drafts were Bokk who luckily the Blues traded while he still had some value, which is all gone at this point. Alexandrov who seems to be a 12/13th forward guy and Neighbours who you mentioned might have a top peak of middle 6 forward.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:01 am

The Blues had a dry spell after the Robert Thomas pick so they definitely need to recover from it prospect wise. Their next top picks in the following three drafts were Bokk who luckily the Blues traded while he still had some value, which is all gone at this point. Alexandrov who seems to be a 12/13th forward guy and Neighbours who you mentioned might have a top peak of middle 6 forward.
Yeah they did well to pull the chute quick enough to get something out of Bokk. Neighbours isn't going to be a star, but if you look at that draft, it's not as if the Blues missed on a bunch of studs that went right after him. That was the weird Covid draft year, so they did well to get a guy that appears to be a useful NHL player with a reasonable career in front of him.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:31 am

Yeah they did well to pull the chute quick enough to get something out of Bokk. Neighbours isn't going to be a star, but if you look at that draft, it's not as if the Blues missed on a bunch of studs that went right after him. That was the weird Covid draft year, so they did well to get a guy that appears to be a useful NHL player with a reasonable career in front of him.
Yeah, the covid draft was really a crapshoot. If Neighbours can be a middle 6 guy and Leo Loof turns into an NHL player it's not a bad draft. Sometimes you need to fill the roster out with just some dudes.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:11 am

Yeah, the covid draft was really a crapshoot. If Neighbours can be a middle 6 guy and Leo Loof turns into an NHL player it's not a bad draft. Sometimes you need to fill the roster out with just some dudes.
It feels like modern fan loses sight of that, everyone is a "stud" or a "bust", at least in a lot of my interactions with younger fans. Sometimes a team drafts some guys who elevated themselves to the highest level of the sport to become guys who can fill out an NHL roster for a decent length of time. Like if Tucker can learn the defensive side of hockey and become the next Bortuzzo? Especially as a later pick? That's sick.

On Neighbours, its worth noting that just because this team in particular has gotten a ton of skill out of the 20+ slot late in the first round over the last 15 or so years doesn't mean it's a given the player taken there will exceed the average value from that slot. As seems common around here, I like Jake for what he is and can be.

Or he "comes into his body" or whatever Tage did and surprises us all.

Agree - not everyone has to be a superstar, a lot of times you're hoping that they end up being role players that are really. really good at what they do and have a long, effective NHL career. Barbashev is a great example....I'm sure people were calling him a bust when he was 21 haha.

Along those lines, last night I was looking at NHL draft classes over the last 20 years or so and sorting each class by "games played". It's amazing how many guys from the 3rd round and beyond who end up playing several hundred NHL games over the course of their careers. Likewise, a lot of second rounders and a decent number of first rounders fizzle out and end up playing less than 100-150 games in the NHL.

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:36 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:11 am

It feels like modern fan loses sight of that, everyone is a "stud" or a "bust", at least in a lot of my interactions with younger fans. Sometimes a team drafts some guys who elevated themselves to the highest level of the sport to become guys who can fill out an NHL roster for a decent length of time. Like if Tucker can learn the defensive side of hockey and become the next Bortuzzo? Especially as a later pick? That's sick.

On Neighbours, its worth noting that just because this team in particular has gotten a ton of skill out of the 20+ slot late in the first round over the last 15 or so years doesn't mean it's a given the player taken there will exceed the average value from that slot. As seems common around here, I like Jake for what he is and can be.

Or he "comes into his body" or whatever Tage did and surprises us all.
It's true. Especially after you get into the third round or later, if you get guys that play more than a handful of NHL games you've done well. Just looking at players the Blues have on the roster right now, they've done fairly well in the later rounds. You mentioned Tucker, great 7th round pick. Toropchenko was a 4th rounder, Blais a 6th rounder, Parayko/Binnington/MacMac all 3rd rounders. There have been a whole lot of guys that never made it, but I think the Blues hit rate in late rounds has probably been a little above average.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:52 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:07 pm Kyrou is a lazy ass... no surprise here.
You don't become a 40 goal scorer as a 2nd round pick by being lazy,
There's a lot of players through the history of the NHL who have never had a strong work ethic and relied on talent alone to go through their career.

Kyrou definitely took a step back last season. Hopefully he can turn it around in the next few seasons and maybe become a forty goal scorer.

BluesSK wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:32 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:07 pm Kyrou is a lazy ass... no surprise here.
There's a lot of players through the history of the NHL who have never had a strong work ethic and relied on talent alone to go through their career.

Kyrou definitely took a step back last season. Hopefully he can turn it around in the next few seasons and maybe become a forty goal scorer.
He jumped from 27 goals to 37 goals, I wouldn't agree that he took a step backwards. I think he took a step forward to being an elite scorer.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:19 pm

He jumped from 27 goals to 37 goals, I wouldn't agree that he took a step backwards. I think he took a step forward to being an elite scorer.

He has elite skill... but Schenn didnt have to kick his ass today due to his great work ethic.

Ten more goals vs. 12 less assists in five more games and -48 season over season. Even considering the team sucked more I would definitely consider that a step back.

He's being paid $8M a season now. He has to be better and I'm hopeful he will be.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:31 pm

He has elite skill... but Schenn didnt have to kick his ass today due to his great work ethic.
Kyrou slapped Schenn around because of how useless the second line has been this year. He’s tired of being the only offense.

Korac forgot to credit DPW for basically seeing this one coming:

If he comes to North America that's probably good? No idea what the issue was with the SHL team, but by all accounts he looked head and shoulders above everybody else at the prospect camp this summer.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:06 am Korac forgot to credit DPW for basically seeing this one coming:

If he comes to North America that's probably good? No idea what the issue was with the SHL team, but by all accounts he looked head and shoulders above everybody else at the prospect camp this summer.
Came here just for this. Get him in the AHL now.