Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:15 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:06 pm
BluesSK wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:56 pm

Wow, that's wild. I'm not even sure they want to be there nor does a lot of the Jets fanbase.

It's all about the money I guess.
They just seem to be stuck where the Blues spent so many years. A good team, will make the playoffs, will make some noise but never good enough to actually win anything.

What it means for the Blues is you've got Colorado and Dallas as a TOUGH top two in the division. Throw in the Jets and the Wild who many forget had over 100 points last season and the playoff spots are dwindling.
I take a different view of what it means. At present the top 3 of Colorado, Dallas and Minnesota are locked to me. The Jets are 4, but have now limited their competitive window to the next 2-3 years as those 2 age and Connor and Ehlers hit UFA. When the Blues are truly competitive again in a couple years, I expect the Jets to be an off the board.

That’s kind of the confusing part for me because these signings say 2-3 year window while the trade or Dubois for 3 young players says transition to a younger team.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:32 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:06 pm

They just seem to be stuck where the Blues spent so many years. A good team, will make the playoffs, will make some noise but never good enough to actually win anything.

What it means for the Blues is you've got Colorado and Dallas as a TOUGH top two in the division. Throw in the Jets and the Wild who many forget had over 100 points last season and the playoff spots are dwindling.
I take a different view of what it means. At present the top 3 of Colorado, Dallas and Minnesota are locked to me. The Jets are 4, but have now limited their competitive window to the next 2-3 years as those 2 age and Connor and Ehlers hit UFA. When the Blues are truly competitive again in a couple years, I expect the Jets to be an off the board.

That’s kind of the confusing part for me because these signings say 2-3 year window while the trade or Dubois for 3 young players says transition to a younger team.
I think Dubois wanted out for sure and was never going to sign there so they just did the best they could. I assume they figured they have a hard time luring good players to Winnipeg so they might as well try to keep the good players they have and try to figure it out later. I don't think Hellebuyck is going to break down anytime soon, but if he does have a Carey Price like drop-off they're absolutely toast.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:24 am

I think Dubois wanted out for sure and was never going to sign there so they just did the best they could. I assume they figured they have a hard time luring good players to Winnipeg so they might as well try to keep the good players they have and try to figure it out later. I don't think Hellebuyck is going to break down anytime soon, but if he does have a Carey Price like drop-off they're absolutely toast.
That exact sentiment was said about Scheifele.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:57 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:24 am

That exact sentiment was said about Scheifele.
It was said, but it fit a pattern with Dubois who had long been known to want to play for a big market (though it was assumed Montreal not LA). I'm surprised Schiefele signed, but in hindsight kind of assume the talk of him possibly wanting out had more to do with stalled contract negotiations and concerns about whether or not Hellebuyck would stick around as well.

ROR had the goal that DPW posted, but this play at the blueline is vintage ROR to me:

Great read/positioning for the steal, killer hands to keep puck and make the pass. I don't know how well his legs will hold up the next few years but in small areas he's among the best.