Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:46 am Rough start to the season for Dvorsky as he takes the step up to the SHL.

Pointless in 8 games getting around 12 minutes a game on the worst team in the league.

In better news, third rounder Pekarcik came over to play in the USHL and is putting up a PPG pace through his first 6.

As well as Stenberg having as many goals through his first 5 in the SHL(1) this year that he had in 23 last season.
Meanwhile Zach Benson tore up the NHL preseason and earned himself a job on the Sabres top line.....for at least for 9 games.

Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:02 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:46 am Rough start to the season for Dvorsky as he takes the step up to the SHL.

Pointless in 8 games getting around 12 minutes a game on the worst team in the league.

In better news, third rounder Pekarcik came over to play in the USHL and is putting up a PPG pace through his first 6.

As well as Stenberg having as many goals through his first 5 in the SHL(1) this year that he had in 23 last season.
Meanwhile Zach Benson tore up the NHL preseason and earned himself a job on the Sabres top line.....for at least for 9 games.

If he had Dvorsky's size he would have been a top 5 pick. We'll see how he holds up in the NHL. Considering his style of play and lack of size and lack of Swedish connections I doubt he was anywhere near the Blues draft board.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:46 am

If he had Dvorsky's size he would have been a top 5 pick. We'll see how he holds up in the NHL. Considering his style of play and lack of size and lack of Swedish connections I doubt he was anywhere near the Blues draft board.
Some GM's continue to overthink it. You have Brad Marchand lite starring you right in the face and you pass on him. Arizona passed on him twice....absolutely crazy. I agree with you on the Swedish connections comment though....no doubt about it. Steen didn't scout him, therefore we don't know who he is.
When you stray from the North American boy, you set your organization up for failure.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:00 am

Some GM's continue to overthink it. You have Brad Marchand lite starring you right in the face and you pass on him. Arizona passed on him twice....absolutely crazy. I agree with you on the Swedish connections comment though....no doubt about it. Steen didn't scout him, therefore we don't know who he is.
When you stray from the North American boy, you set your organization up for failure.
We'll see how it plays out, I think Dvorsky was the right pick and am certainly not calling him a bust.

As for the Coyotes, I think they have concern for a lot of these young guys they are bringing in right now coming up for contract renewal's all at the same time. Thinking their draft strategy was to get guys that won't be around for awhile to spread it out more. Which makes passing on Michkov a bit weird but that's neither here nor there.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:11 am

We'll see how it plays out, I think Dvorsky was the right pick and am certainly not calling him a bust.

As for the Coyotes, I think they have concern for a lot of these young guys they are bringing in right now coming up for contract renewal's all at the same time. Thinking their draft strategy was to get guys that won't be around for awhile to spread it out more. Which makes passing on Michkov a bit weird but that's neither here nor there.
Who ever knows what Arizona is thinking. They wore matching suits to the draft.

My only concern with Dvorsky is Yzerman passing on him at 9

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:43 am

My only concern with Dvorsky is Yzerman passing on him at 9
From all reports I read out of Detroit, your boy Danielson was a hit at Wings training camp.

Scoring is quite a bit lower in the SHL anyway. I also believe ice time is hard to come by for teenagers in that league, particularly early in the season. As long as he stays healthy and sees the ice I won't worry much.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Good piece about the Blues new D-Zone structure:

Matt DeFranks has been the best beat writer the Blues have had as long as I can remember. He gets more into the nuts and bolts than a lot of the others, which I appreciate.

If you don't want to read the article, the gif in this tweet more or less highlights the structure:

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:51 am It makes sense. Cut the zone into 4 slices. If the puck comes in yours attack, if it leaves yours pass the guy off and get in position. We'll see if the Blues have the players capable of executing this though.
The part that was most reassuring is that Leddy and Krug ran that exact system with their previous teams. It's not super complicated, but whatever they were doing last year wasn't working.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:53 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:51 am It makes sense. Cut the zone into 4 slices. If the puck comes in yours attack, if it leaves yours pass the guy off and get in position. We'll see if the Blues have the players capable of executing this though.
The part that was most reassuring is that Leddy and Krug ran that exact system with their previous teams. It's not super complicated, but whatever they were doing last year wasn't working.
Yes, that's what gives me some hope even though it's the exact same players as last year is that it's a completely different system. If it was the same players AND the same system, I'd be hopeless. As puck drop gets closer I am getting more and more optimistic. I AM READY TO BE HURT AGAIN

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:55 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:53 am
Yes, that's what gives me some hope even though it's the exact same players as last year is that it's a completely different system. If it was the same players AND the same system, I'd be hopeless. As puck drop gets closer I am getting more and more optimistic. I AM READY TO BE HURT AGAIN
Amen. My expectations are low but hope is always high....well moderate anyway.

Dvorsky was a healthy scratch for his Swedish team. His transition to their senior league is not off to a good start. He's been buried to 4th line role, isn't performing on it, and now not playing.

He's on a crap team whose interest isn't in developing players. He should consider coming to North America.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:15 pm Dvorsky was a healthy scratch for his Swedish team. His transition to their senior league is not off to a good start. He's been buried to 4th line role, isn't performing on it, and now not playing.

He's on a crap team whose interest isn't in developing players. He should consider coming to North America.
That sucks. It could really derail his development.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:57 am We had a 182 day offseason and waited patiently through that for Blues hockey to roll around only to have to sit here and wait for 5 days to see another Blues game. There is a special ring in hell for Gary Bettman and his schedule makers.
Remember when the team started the season with it's 7 day bye week? They might have squeezed in one game, I can't remember. I feel like they always do this so they have fewer potential dates where they have to worry about competing with Cardinal playoff games for eyeballs. Seems like that concern might have been slightly misplaced this year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:57 am We had a 182 day offseason and waited patiently through that for Blues hockey to roll around only to have to sit here and wait for 5 days to see another Blues game. There is a special ring in hell for Gary Bettman and his schedule makers.
I was just thinking the same thing when i saw we don't play til thurs.

I mean wtf...
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:45 pm Per JR's twitter account (I don't have Twitter I have a "things that may interest you" feed in my google chrome) buch out 1-2 weeks so 5 days off not exactly a bad thing?
Yeah, the timing might actually work to the team's benefit. It will be interesting to see how they manage the lineup if the injury is indeed short term. Will they shuffle the forwards and get Alexandrov in the lineup? Will they call up a skill guy from Springfield? Will they go 7 D? I'd believe any of the above.