Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

BlueinNy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:51 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:27 am https://www.nhl.com/predators/roster

On paper, they don't look intimidating at all
Looking at our forwards shouldn't put the fear of Jesus in anybody either.
I don't think we are world-beaters either.

But I do believe we will have more points at the end of the season than Nashville. (Even if it's only 1 point!)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

BluesSK wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:12 pm

Yep. If Thomas and Kyrou don't play like they are paid we are gonna be in a world of hurt.
Which will end up getting Berube fired, even if he isn't the one handing out outlandish contracts.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote:

But I do believe we will have more points at the end of the season than Nashville. (Even if it's only 1 point!)

The Blues will be a playoff team next season and a team no one will want to face in the first round.
Put it on a post it note and save it.

Kyrou and Thomas are the 60th(!!) highest played players in the NHL on AAV. The idea that they aren't performing up to what they are paid is rubbish imo. There's certainly things they can improve on, but they aren't underperforming. They aren't going to be McDavid, Matthews, McKinnon or any other of the elite guys whose names start with an M.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BlueinNy wrote:

The Blues don't have the high end talent of some teams, but what I think they DO have is depth. All four lines can score on this team. That was the strength of the 19 team as well.

I would say there are a ton of teams that would like forwards like Buch, Schenn, Kyrou, Thomas, Saad, Hayes. If Vrana and Kap produce, thats a pretty damn deep group. Especially with Sunny and Blais rounding out the 4th line.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:06 am
BlueinNy wrote:

The Blues don't have the high end talent of some teams, but what I think they DO have is depth. All four lines can score on this team. That was the strength of the 19 team as well.

I would say there are a ton of teams that would like forwards like Buch, Schenn, Kyrou, Thomas, Saad, Hayes. If Vrana and Kap produce, thats a pretty damn deep group. Especially with Sunny and Blais rounding out the 4th line.
Depth upfront is definitely the strength of this team. That '19 team was special with 9 guys being 20 goal scorers. This team doesn't have that same kind of depth, but the ability to role 4 lines is crucial.

IF everything falls together perfectly and health is on our side, then I could see 7, maybe 8 20 goal scorers though, but that's asking a lot of Hayes and Kapanen. It's also just taking for granted Vrana can get to a number he hasn't reached in 4 seasons.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:26 am
BlueinNy wrote:

Depth upfront is definitely the strength of this team. That '19 team was special with 9 guys being 20 goal scorers. This team doesn't have that same kind of depth, but the ability to role 4 lines is crucial.

IF everything falls together perfectly and health is on our side, then I could see 7, maybe 8 20 goal scorers though, but that's asking a lot of Hayes and Kapanen. It's also just taking for granted Vrana can get to a number he hasn't reached in 4 seasons.
I'll get the pessimism out of the way early. The strength of this team certainly is forward depth, but I think expectations for a few of the newer guys are being overblown. Kapanen wasn't a world beater when he got to St. Louis, he was on a sub-50 point pace. Maybe he can sustain that pace over a whole season, but he wasn't an All-Star. Vrana is interesting given his off ice issues hopefully being resolved, but he hasn't had a full season since the Covid shortened season (I'm counting the 69 games he played that year as close enough). We'll see how Hayes adjusts to the new team, but he is certainly a much needed legit middle six C. The problem I have is that there are a few guys I trust to provide offense (Kyrou, Thomas, Buch), then a whollllllllllle bunch of "well if everything goes right they'll be a good second liner", but the floor is much lower.

The reason the forward depth is seen as a strength is simply because the D and goaltending were so bad last year. The good news is, I'm guessing they bottomed out last year and have to be at least marginally better. I think the team will be better overall this season, but I'm not going in with playoff expectations. Playoff hopes, sure, but not expectations.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:10 am

I'll get the pessimism out of the way early. The strength of this team certainly is forward depth, but I think expectations for a few of the newer guys are being overblown. Kapanen wasn't a world beater when he got to St. Louis, he was on a sub-50 point pace. Maybe he can sustain that pace over a whole season, but he wasn't an All-Star. Vrana is interesting given his off ice issues hopefully being resolved, but he hasn't had a full season since the Covid shortened season (I'm counting the 69 games he played that year as close enough). We'll see how Hayes adjusts to the new team, but he is certainly a much needed legit middle six C. The problem I have is that there are a few guys I trust to provide offense (Kyrou, Thomas, Buch), then a whollllllllllle bunch of "well if everything goes right they'll be a good second liner", but the floor is much lower.

The reason the forward depth is seen as a strength is simply because the D and goaltending were so bad last year. The good news is, I'm guessing they bottomed out last year and have to be at least marginally better. I think the team will be better overall this season, but I'm not going in with playoff expectations. Playoff hopes, sure, but not expectations.
Oh this team has a ton of questions marks for sure. Thats why the wide ranging opinions of how this team will do. From Bill thinking the Blues are the 90's red wings to me thinking we will be lucky to be a playoff team.

FWIW, Kapenen had a 30 goal pace in his 23 games with the Blues, which is where the optimism comes in. I don't think that's doable as his shot % was well above his career average, but if things fall right, 20 isn't completely out of the question.

I'd add Schenn to that trust list as he's had at least 50 points in every non-Covid season since 2015-16.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:56 am

Oh this team has a ton of questions marks for sure. Thats why the wide ranging opinions of how this team will do. From Bill thinking the Blues are the 90's red wings to me thinking we will be lucky to be a playoff team.

FWIW, Kapenen had a 30 goal pace in his 23 games with the Blues, which is where the optimism comes in. I don't think that's doable as his shot % was well above his career average, but if things fall right, 20 isn't completely out of the question.

I'd add Schenn to that trust list as he's had at least 50 points in every non-Covid season since 2015-16.
Love Schenn. Just hope he doesn't lose a step. Looking at the forwards you see the departure in style from the Cup team and the preceding era. Besides Buchenevich, there are pretty much zero sure thing 2 way forwards. Schenn still fits in that category but he's not what he was in those years. Schwartz, ROR, Barbashev, Bozak, Steen were all good to great in their own end and provided offense as well. You hope Thomas gets there, but last year was shaky on that front. Some of the kids may develop that side of their game, but again, lots of question marks.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:45 am Kyrou and Thomas are the 60th(!!) highest played players in the NHL on AAV. The idea that they aren't performing up to what they are paid is rubbish imo. There's certainly things they can improve on, but they aren't underperforming. They aren't going to be McDavid, Matthews, McKinnon or any other of the elite guys whose names start with an M.
That's fair.

Devil's advocate, they're in the ballpark of Crosby, Larkin, Laine, Stamkos, Draisaitl...

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:50 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:56 am

Love Schenn. Just hope he doesn't lose a step. Looking at the forwards you see the departure in style from the Cup team and the preceding era. Besides Buchenevich, there are pretty much zero sure thing 2 way forwards. Schenn still fits in that category but he's not what he was in those years. Schwartz, ROR, Barbashev, Bozak, Steen were all good to great in their own end and provided offense as well. You hope Thomas gets there, but last year was shaky on that front. Some of the kids may develop that side of their game, but again, lots of question marks.
All our hopes ride on Toropchenko.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:10 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:45 am Kyrou and Thomas are the 60th(!!) highest played players in the NHL on AAV. The idea that they aren't performing up to what they are paid is rubbish imo. There's certainly things they can improve on, but they aren't underperforming. They aren't going to be McDavid, Matthews, McKinnon or any other of the elite guys whose names start with an M.
That's fair.

Devil's advocate, they're in the ballpark of Crosby, Larkin, Laine, Stamkos, Draisaitl...
But Kyrou had more goals than everyone on that list except Draisaitl and Kyrou certainly isn't on a line and PP unit with McDavid.

The other interesting thing is, all those guys were top 15 picks, with most being top 3 picks while Kyrou was a second rounder and has been a homerun for the Blues.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:44 pm
That's fair.

But Kyrou had more goals than everyone on that list except Draisaitl and Kyrou certainly isn't on a line and PP unit with McDavid.

The other interesting thing is, all those guys were top 15 picks, with most being top 3 picks while Kyrou was a second rounder and has been a homerun for the Blues.
Also fair.

As we assess the forwards, the elephant in the room is still the defense and goalers. If Binnington plays like he did last year behind the defense that played in front of him,well, im just not optimistic. Something on the defensive end has to get better, either the defenseman or the goalie. If nothing changes Einstein had a little saying about lunacy.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
That's fair.

Nice post! I'm definitely going to say this to my friends at some point and take credit for the research haha
KA-KAW!

That's fair.

Yeah he scores but he's arguably the worst defensive forward in the League. He sctoed 26 even strength goals and was a -38.

I hope this improves.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:29 pm

That's fair.

Yeah he scores but he's arguably the worst defensive forward in the League. He sctoed 26 even strength goals and was a -38.

I hope this improves.
Yeah, but don’t forget, the team sucked and how many minuses did he get tagged with when the goalie was pulled? Kyrou has a high, high ceiling IMO. It all comes down to how much he wants it.

yeah i think our forward group, while not staggering, would be fine if the D wasn't such a concern. we didn't do much to address that issue this offseason, so i guess we can all just cross our fingers that new coaching/systems will help them do better. maybe i'll even get to watch this season.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:29 pm

That's fair.

I hope this improves.
Sure, it's definitely his area improvement needed although calling him the worst in the league is a bit harsh. He's been fine defensively every year before and it took a dip last year. He has improved as a player every single season since he came into the league so he clearly has the desire and work ethic to get better and with that now being the focus, I think he will improve that part of his game.

He wasn't signed to his contract to play defense though, he was signed to score goals, and I think he wanted to prove he was worth that contract and was so offensive minded that he lacked the effort in the defensive zone many times. We saw it, coasting around the defensive zone.

I'm not terribly concerned about his plus minus, as TC pointed out, he was on the ice for pretty much every empty net goal against and this team was comical last year with an empty net. It was a guaranteed goal against.

All this is to say, he is one of the least of my worries on the team.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:32 am

I can't be so confident of that until I see what The Blues do to change their defensive system, roster, and way of playing defence.
I'm mildly optimistic, but they need to do something of some substance, and need to change the players' attitude towards working hard towards getting results.