Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

This team should be better than Chicago, Arizona, Nashville, and Winnipeg in the Central. I also think they are better than Calgary, Anaheim, Vancouver, and San Jose out west. So, that should leave them in a Wild Card spot.
In the Central, I just don't understand Minnesota. I keep waiting for them to come back to earth. Their roster just doesn't wow me on paper.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:25 pm This team should be better than Chicago, Arizona, Nashville, and Winnipeg in the Central. I also think they are better than Calgary, Anaheim, Vancouver, and San Jose out west. So, that should leave them in a Wild Card spot.
In the Central, I just don't understand Minnesota. I keep waiting for them to come back to earth. Their roster just doesn't wow me on paper.
Nashville had 11 more points than the Blues last year and in my opinion got even better this off-season so I wouldn't take it for granted that the Blues are better than them. Unsure on the Jets as they may still move Hellebyuck. Definitely better than Chicago and Arizona though. If not, we've got major issues.
Just a Russian propaganda account

MattyIce wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:25 pm This team should be better than Chicago, Arizona, Nashville, and Winnipeg in the Central. I also think they are better than Calgary, Anaheim, Vancouver, and San Jose out west. So, that should leave them in a Wild Card spot.
I thought we would be mo worse than third in the Central last season and we ended up sixth. We are no better on paper than last year's team so I expect the same, maybe fifth and fighting a Wild Card spot.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:23 am
BlueinNy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:18 am I'm kinda disappointed with him playing in Sweden. My hopes for the #10 pick was to maybe get a look at him in the NHL this season. But in Armstrong I trust.
If I was a betting person I would think if his season ends early in Sweden and our AHL team is playoff bound he might come over and get a taste of North American hockey.
That might be nice. He certainly would benefit by having a year of playing with and against the best in Sweden before playing against north American pros in a game different from that played on International-sized rinks. And don't forget that since Juniors, he's only played against professional men in The Alsvenskan, Sweden's #2 league. A year in their top league will help get him ready for The AHL. If he had come to North America THIS season, he'd have started in The AHL, and, in my estimation, would have played all, or most of the season there, with possibly, a very late call up, to give him a taste of what he'd need to work on.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:59 pm
Nashville had 11 more points than the Blues last year and in my opinion got even better this off-season so I wouldn't take it for granted that the Blues are better than them. Unsure on the Jets as they may still move Hellebyuck. Definitely better than Chicago and Arizona though. If not, we've got major issues.
Whether or not The Blues can seriously challenge for a playoff spot will depend upon how successful their defensive system changes will be, whether or not Perunovich can take a regular, 3rd pairing shift, and play effectively defending, and whether or not their forwards can buy in on working hard at playing a team defensive game. They seemed to give up altogether, fairly early last season. We saw what a difference that made when they gave 110% whenever Lindgren was in, when he first came up in the emergency situation.

BlueinNy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:19 am I'm kinda disappointed with him playing in Sweden. My hopes for the #10 pick was to maybe get a look at him in the NHL this season. But in Armstrong I trust.
I don't think Dvorsky is quite ready to start playing in a new-styled game against all grown, mostly veteran men in the highest level league in the World, after not even playing in the best league in Sweden. he was playing in The Alsvenskan (#2 league). he'll benefit from playing in Sweden's Elite League for one year, and start in The AHL, to get used to the North American game before taking on the greater speed, harder-hitting, more skilled fully-mature players in the higher-pressured NHL. Had he come to North America this season, he certainly would have started the season in The AHL. He might well have spent the whole season there, except, possibly for a late season look-see call-up. When he comes next season, he should spend at least 1-2 months there, and IF he 's playing well, he might spend the rest of the season with The Blues, starting on the 3rd Line, and possibly tested on The 2nd, later in the season. His many offensive skills and good team-play will certainly help The Blues in balancing out the 3 lines more evenly. I hate the talk about putting Buchnevich, Thomas and Kyrou together. That would give us only one really effective scoring line, having to play against opponents' top defenders. Giving the Schenn Line another reliable scorer will help a lot. And by then Snuggerud may be playing a regular shift on The 3rd or 2nd Line, and Neighbours may be scoring significantly better than now, and The Blues can again have 3 scoring lines.

Of the 4 forwards we dealt during the season last year (Tarasenko, ROR, Acciari, Barbashev), they scored 42 total goals while they were here, playing a collective 191 games. Can our new acquisitions (Blais, Vrana, Kapanen, Sundqvist) collectively put up over 42 goals in the first 48 games or so? If they can, our scoring will automatically improve (we were 17th in goals/game last season). Then we just need to make sure we don't give up the 6th most goals of any team in the NHL!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
What did Nashville do this off season that makes them better? I'm not looking up their shit but I know Duchesne and Johannsen are gone.
Personally, I think the Blues can finish 3rd . Zuccarello is going to be 36 when the season starts, any precipitous type fall from him is going to hurt the Wild big time. That guy is a gamer and if they lose his production, they'll feel it. Winnipeg has been shit since last January, I don't see any upward trend there either.
Seeing is believing, and you'll just have to wait when the season starts and watch these Blues when they play. If they're healthy, I think they'll hit the 300 mark in goals. And if Hofer ends up being a spark, all the better. The new coaching staff will help this year. I expect the D to play like an improved group.

What did Nashville do this off season that makes them better? I'm not looking up their shit but I know Duchesne and Johannsen are gone.
Personally, I think the Blues can finish 3rd . Zuccarello is going to be 36 when the season starts, any precipitous type fall from him is going to hurt the Wild big time. That guy is a gamer and if they lose his production, they'll feel it. Winnipeg has been shit since last January, I don't see any upward trend there either.
Seeing is believing, and you'll just have to wait when the season starts and watch these Blues when they play. If they're healthy, I think they'll hit the 300 mark in goals. And if Hofer ends up being a spark, all the better. The new coaching staff will help this year. I expect the D to play like an improved group.

RAFritchey wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:45 pm Of the 4 forwards we dealt during the season last year (Tarasenko, ROR, Acciari, Barbashev), they scored 42 total goals while they were here, playing a collective 191 games. Can our new acquisitions (Blais, Vrana, Kapanen, Sundqvist) collectively put up over 42 goals in the first 48 games or so? If they can, our scoring will automatically improve (we were 17th in goals/game last season). Then we just need to make sure we don't give up the 6th most goals of any team in the NHL!
That, and, I think we gave up more short-handed goals than PP goals scored.

And pulling the goalie with 7 min left down by 2....
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

BillP. wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:33 am
Added ROR and Nyqvist. What did the Blues do to make up those 11 points? Not saying the Blues can’t finish ahead of them was just commenting that I’m unsure how it can just be the expected outcome when the Blues weren’t close to them last year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Nashville had 11 more points than the Blues last year and in my opinion got even better this off-season so I wouldn't take it for granted that the Blues are better than them. Unsure on the Jets as they may still move Hellebyuck. Definitely better than Chicago and Arizona though. If not, we've got major issues.
Added ROR and Nyqvist. What did the Blues do to make up those 11 points? Not saying the Blues can’t finish ahead of them was just commenting that I’m unsure how it can just be the expected outcome when the Blues weren’t close to them last year.

You could say ROR is done and it's addition by subtraction in unloading him on Nashville. ROR had 19 points in 40 games and was a minus 24.
And I don't think Nyqvist brings a whole lot either - JMO.
Blues are going to be good, you'll just have to wait and see to find out 8-)

I've never been more interested in assistant coaches than I am this year. If Weber can get that D playing well, the Blues will find themselves in the playoffs. Babcock is very interesting as well. Apparently thought of very highly around the league. I'm interested to see what he can do with the PP. Crazy to think, but a lot is hinging on those two guys.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:10 pm I've never been more interested in assistant coaches than I am this year. If Weber can get that D playing well, the Blues will find themselves in the playoffs. Babcock is very interesting as well. Apparently thought of very highly around the league. I'm interested to see what he can do with the PP. Crazy to think, but a lot is hinging on those two guys.
100% agree. The assistants will either make Berube or tank him. If they get this turned around, he'll look smart for hiring them. If not, then he is probably out of excuses and loses his job.

BillP. wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:04 pm

You could say ROR is done and it's addition by subtraction in unloading him on Nashville. ROR had 19 points in 40 games and was a minus 24.
I would strongly disagree that ROR is done. He's just turned 32 and had nearly a PPG in the regular season and postseason for Toronto. I certainly don't think he'll put up those kind of points in Nashville because it's a completely different system but I'm not sure that I'd consider him done. He's perfect for what they are looking to do. I thought it was a great addition for them, although I wouldn't have given him 4 years.

As long as they have Josi and Saros they are going to be good.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Added ROR and Nyqvist. What did the Blues do to make up those 11 points? Not saying the Blues can’t finish ahead of them was just commenting that I’m unsure how it can just be the expected outcome when the Blues weren’t close to them last year.

I would strongly disagree that ROR is done. He's just turned 32 and had nearly a PPG in the regular season and postseason for Toronto. I certainly don't think he'll put up those kind of points in Nashville because it's a completely different system but I'm not sure that I'd consider him done. He's perfect for what they are looking to do. I thought it was a great addition for them, although I wouldn't have given him 4 years.

I just played good cop, bad cop. I don't think ROR is done either, but numbers don't lie and he sucked here last year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:12 pm
MattyIce wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:10 pm I've never been more interested in assistant coaches than I am this year. If Weber can get that D playing well, the Blues will find themselves in the playoffs. Babcock is very interesting as well. Apparently thought of very highly around the league. I'm interested to see what he can do with the PP. Crazy to think, but a lot is hinging on those two guys.
100% agree. The assistants will either make Berube or tank him. If they get this turned around, he'll look smart for hiring them. If not, then he is probably out of excuses and loses his job.
They can always scapegoat that jackass Steve Ott.

BluesSK wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:47 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:12 pm
They can always scapegoat that jackass Steve Ott.
Coach in waiting Steve Ott

BillP. wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:30 pm

I just played good cop, bad cop. I don't think ROR is done either, but numbers don't lie and he sucked here last year.
You aren't wrong about that but ROR, Ivan, and Tarasenko all improved when they got away from this situation last year.

BillP. wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:30 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: I would strongly disagree that ROR is done. He's just turned 32 and had nearly a PPG in the regular season and postseason for Toronto. I certainly don't think he'll put up those kind of points in Nashville because it's a completely different system but I'm not sure that I'd consider him done. He's perfect for what they are looking to do. I thought it was a great addition for them, although I wouldn't have given him 4 years.

You aren't wrong about that but ROR, Ivan, and Tarasenko all improved when they got away from this situation last year.
All three were basically playing for their next contract with their new teams as well. That can get guys pretty motivated.

Speaking of Nashville, they still have cap space. I keep wondering if they try to move in on Tank. That forward group has zero depth.
KA-KAW!