Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:59 am
BillP wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:18 am

How does that work. The 1 year in Sweden counts toward the contract? So 2 years left on deal after 1 year in Sweden? If that’s the case, wasn’t aware it worked like that.
It doesn’t start until he comes to North America. He’ll be playing under his SHL contract next year.
That’s what I thought, just wasn’t sure anymore after reading that. Thanks for confirming!

Robb_K wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:06 pm
BluesSK wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:33 pm

I'll be shocked if he spends more than a season in Sweden.
One full season in The Swedish Elite League (whatever they call it now) and then starting in The AHL in the following season, but coming up to The Blues after no more than 30 games.
How does that work. The 1 year in Sweden counts toward the contract? So 2 years left on deal after 1 year in Sweden? If that’s the case, wasn’t aware it worked like that.
I wasn't aware he was signed to a Swedish team for more than one more year. In the old days US teams would sometimes buy out the players' European league contract. Or players used big offers from NHL teams to buy out their European league contracts. But, I haven't heard of that being done recently. I wonder why Dvorsky signed such a long contract with his Swedish team, it's not his own country. Maybe he'll stay there 2 years, and buy out the 3rd year, if he sees a quick path to a spot on The Blues' NHL roster?

Robb_K wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:37 am
Robb_K wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:06 pm

One full season in The Swedish Elite League (whatever they call it now) and then starting in The AHL in the following season, but coming up to The Blues after no more than 30 games.
I wasn't aware he was signed to a Swedish team for more than one more year. In the old days US teams would sometimes buy out the players' European league contract. Or players used big offers from NHL teams to buy out their European league contracts. But, I haven't heard of that being done recently. I wonder why Dvorsky signed such a long contract with his Swedish team, it's not his own country. Maybe he'll stay there 2 years, and buy out the 3rd year, if he sees a quick path to a spot on The Blues' NHL roster?
Hey Robb, the 3 year deal he signed was with the Blues, not Sweden. But he is playing in Sweden next year. Someone said the 3 year deal with the Blues doesn’t kick in till he starts here in the USA. That was basically what I was asking. Thanks! ;)

BlueinNy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:18 am I'm kinda disappointed with him playing in Sweden. My hopes for the #10 pick was to maybe get a look at him in the NHL this season. But in Armstrong I trust.
If I was a betting person I would think if his season ends early in Sweden and our AHL team is playoff bound he might come over and get a taste of North American hockey.

BlueinNy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:20 am I'm kinda disappointed with him playing in Sweden. My hopes for the #10 pick was to maybe get a look at him in the NHL this season. But in Armstrong I trust.
No fear, it doesn't happen often. The last was 2018 with Evan Bouchard who got 7 games with Edmonton before being sent back to his OHL team and didn't become a full time NHLer til 2021. I couldn't find the last #10 pick that jumped into a full time NHL role.

I would prefer him playing in the AHL than the SHL to get adjusted to the North American game, but I understand why they left him over there. In Steen we trust.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:18 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Welp

https://theathletic.com/4686177/2023/07 ... fs-awards/

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 8.39.08 AM.png
ESPN graded the Blues off season a B and they mentioned Berube being on the hot seat. I believe it was a quote from an anonymous NHL Exec., saying (I'm rephrasing) the Blues expect to make the playoffs every year so another down year could put him in jeopardy.
I saw some questionable coaching decisions last year but his job status should be based on that, not on the performance of the players individually.

The team defense is crucial.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:48 pm

ESPN graded the Blues off season a B and they mentioned Berube being on the hot seat. I believe it was a quote from an anonymous NHL Exec., saying (I'm rephrasing) the Blues expect to make the playoffs every year so another down year could put him in jeopardy.
I saw some questionable coaching decisions last year but his job status should be based on that, not on the performance of the players individually.

I don't think Berube will take a fall from the team's known problems (porous defense, inconsistent goaltending), but last year we clearly under-performed and were staggeringly inconsistent (win 3, lose 8, win 7, lose 2 to end up at .500 over the first 20 games). We've swapped out some players, swapped out assistant coaches, so the head coach would naturally be next up the chain on the 'hot seat.' That said, anyone looking at the team as it stands now knows it should be competitive, but is a long way from dominant. As long as we're putting in consistent effort, not 'playing down' to opponents we should be easily beating, going on long 'cold-streaks,' etc. we SHOULD be in the running for a wild-card spot, and I think Berube will be safe.

If, OTOH, we have an 8 game losing streak or something like that again early on, all bets are off.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:48 pm

Supposedly Chief got to pick his assistants this year as opposed to being saddled with the duds that he had before....hope it produces results.

If we struggle again this season, when does army shoulder the blame?

He rightfully deserves credit for building a Stanley Cup winning team, but he also built the team last year and the one we are icing next year.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

The good news is that there are 2 teams that are almost assuredly worse than the Blue in the Central. The bad news is there are 3 teams almost assuredly better than them in the Central. Winnepeg and Nashville are the other two, and they've had big changes in the offseason, so who knows.

The Pacific has 2 playoff locks in Vegas and Edmonton, and a very likely playoff team in LA, but beyond that it could go lots of different ways as well. All of this is to say that while I'd be very surprised if the Blues grabbed one of the top 3 divisional spots, it's not entirely unreasonable for this team to make it as a wild card. I'd say less than 50/50 at the moment, but not a super long shot.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!