Re: News and Games around the NHL

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:15 pm From Russia, with love and old time hockey.
Let me save you the clickbait - they don’t tell us who:
Pro hockey player arrested in Poland for allegedly belonging to a network of spies: officials

A Russian hockey player in Poland’s top league was arrested earlier this month after officials accused him of belonging to a network of spies paid to gather intelligence, officials said Friday.

The player, identified only as someone playing in Poland’s top league and living in the country since 2021, was arrested June 11, the National Prosecutor’s Office said.

“In the course of the investigation, it was determined that the detainee was a professional athlete of the first league club,” a translation of the statement from officials said.

“In Poland, he carried out activities involving, among others, on identifying critical infrastructure in several (provinces). He kept his clients informed about the results of the reconnaissance, for which he received remuneration. The detained citizen of the Russian Federation has been staying in Poland since October 2021.”

The suspect was believed to have belonged to a network of spies “cooperating with the Russian special services,” officials said.

He was the 14th suspect detained during the authority’s investigation into that network.

“Russian spies are falling one by one!” said Zbigniew Ziobro, the justice minister and chief prosecutor. “A spy who operated under the guise of an athlete was caught.”

The hockey player faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Ozzies09tc wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:39 am Good luck out there, kid.

Yzerman takes all our players... Bout time we take some of there's! /s
You never know but if he fails at his next stop then he's pretty much toast. Kid should of held on to that contract and made sure he got his money.
I didn't see a whole lot of him but when I did, he didn't show much. High expectations, was supposed to fill the net, but that's pre-draft talk.
It all sounds good before the draft.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:48 am
Ozzies09tc wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:39 am Good luck out there, kid.

You never know but if he fails at his next stop then he's pretty much toast. Kid should of held on to that contract and made sure he got his money.
I didn't see a whole lot of him but when I did, he didn't show much. High expectations, was supposed to fill the net, but that's pre-draft talk.
He has a Tarasenko kind of shot, but much less accurate.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:02 pm
BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:48 am
Ozzies09tc wrote:

He has a Tarasenko kind of shot, but much less accurate.
Very Tarasenko-esque right now it would seem.

I see a player taking his (potential) job seriously and another player with his head down.

Whatever the kids name is that hit the other kid, showed he is a spark player perfect for 4th line duty to provide energy and momentum to whatever team he plays for.

Just a good hockey hit...nothing to see here
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:21 am I see a player taking his (potential) job seriously and another player with his head down.

Whatever the kids name is that hit the other kid, showed he is a spark player perfect for 4th line duty to provide energy and momentum to whatever team he plays for.

Sure, that's one perspective. Another is he showed zero situational awareness to understand he's at a DEVELOPMENT camp, not a tryout. Plenty of players have the opportunity to layout a teammate in a SCRIMMAGE. Knowing not to do that shows better hockey sense than showing you can lay a big hit. As an overaged, unsigned, undrafted d-man he just ensured he won't get any future development camp invites. It wasn't dirty, it was dumb.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:36 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:21 am I see a player taking his (potential) job seriously and another player with his head down.

Sure, that's one perspective. Another is he showed zero situational awareness to understand he's at a DEVELOPMENT camp, not a tryout. Plenty of players have the opportunity to layout a teammate in a SCRIMMAGE. Knowing not to do that shows better hockey sense than showing you can lay a big hit. As an overaged, unsigned, undrafted d-man he just ensured he won't get any future development camp invites. It wasn't dirty, it was dumb.
Is it the player that’s dumb or the team? Shouldn’t the team warn the guys to play it level and not injure one another? Pretty stupid of the teams if they don’t stress that. Then it’s clear cut and it won’t be any surprise to the kid when he’s let go afterwards.

BillP wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:49 am

Is it the player that’s dumb or the team? Shouldn’t the team warn the guys to play it level and not injure one another? Pretty stupid of the teams if they don’t stress that. Then it’s clear cut and it won’t be any surprise to the kid when he’s let go afterwards.
I was not privy to the pre camp speech unfortunately. :lol:

Ohhh. It was a development camp. For some dumb reason i was thinking it was a preseason game.

Ok, ill admit thats a dick move for just a development camp scrimmage.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:55 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:35 pm Alex Debrincat being traded to Detroit. They've gotta be a playoff team next year
Maybe, but I really don't trust that D corps outside of Seider. Have they improved enough to leap all of Ottawa, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Florida in the standings? Only if Husso is waaaay better than an
.896 goalie.
Seider is a good one to have though, and I have to imagine he'll only be getting better.

We'll see what they can get out of Gostisbehere who they picked up. Walman looks to have come into his own. They've got a chance to end the playoff drought but the East is DEEP. I mean Florida went from President's trophy, to barely sneaking into the playoffs, to cup finals. Detroit's issue is they are built a lot like the Blues. Speed and finesse, not enough fried food and cigarettes.

Adding Kostin alone makes them cup contenders in my book.

Yahoo wrote:Oilers' Evander Kane using hilarious fake name in recreational hockey league
Evander Kane is going undercover in an Edmonton men's league this summer, using a saying he's made famous as his alias.

The NHL offseason is, for most players, a time to catch your breath and unwind after the grind of another season and the always demanding Stanley Cup playoffs.

Edmonton Oilers forward Evander Kane, however, seems to have some different plans to stay sharp over the summer break.

The Oilers ‘shift disturber’ made a surprise cameo at a local men’s league under the pseudonym Fa Afo, better understood as the acronym F.A.A.F.O. in reference to his comments after Game 2 of the second round against the Vegas Golden Knights.

“You don’t see a lot of guys getting jumped from behind and headlocked,” Kane said of Knights' forward Keegan Kolesar’s antics after a 5-1 Oilers win in early May. “When you want to f*** around, sometimes you’ve gotta find out.”

The two teams would combine for 122 PIMs that game, including 24 from Kane who led both teams, as the series intensity would ramp up, climaxing with a vicious two-hand slash from Alex Pietrangelo on Leon Draisaitl that earned him a one game suspension in Game 4 of the series.

Ultimately, the Golden Knights would get the last laugh on matters, knocking the Oilers out after a hard fought six games, en route to the franchise’s first ever Stanley Cup a few weeks later.

Kane experienced yet another up and down season with the Oilers this year, playing in just 41 games due to a frightening wrist injury that left the 31-year-old hospitalized.

Despite a surprising return to the ice just over two months after the initial injury, the gritty forward’s play was clearly affected, including his shot, as he failed to reach the 20-goal plateau for the first time since 2014-15. Kane ultimately finished with 16 goals and 28 points, and added three goals and five points in 12 playoff games.
golf clap.