Re: NHL Draft GDT

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: This is absolutely absurd. Kid literally did nothing but get drafted.
IMG_0043.jpeg
It's bad enough people roast players for bad performance but this goes to a whole other level. I mean, this is sheer lunacy.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:26 am
BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:26 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:18 pm

Not saying I agree with it, just spitballing. I say they convert one to a skater...see what happens.
Maybe Montreal drafted the Shohei Ohtani of goaltenders.
I don't understand this reference.
:runs to google:
I don't baseball. I don't get this reference.
I am waaaaaay less of a baseball guy than I used to be, but Shohei Ohtani is the coolest athlete in the world by a factor of a million to me right now.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:00 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:48 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:22 am This is absolutely absurd. Kid literally did nothing but get drafted.

IMG_0043.jpeg
Bunch of losers.
They really are. Such misguided anger. Be mad at the team/GM all you want, but if you're sending 18 year old's hate messages and death threats simply because your team drafted them, then I'm not sure sports is your thing. Maybe grippy socks and a padded room is more befitting. I know a message board for you.
Habs fans suck. I have one Habs fan friend, and he's convinced they rigged the lottery for Chicago "because the NHL loves the big markets." The irony of a fan from Montreal whining about big markets getting preferential treatment was entirely lost on him. He also had no defense for why the supposed draft fixing, big market loving NHL would allow McDavid, one of the 5 best draft prospects ever, to wind up in Edmonton after they'd already won 2 lotteries.

Anyway Habs fans blow, but it really was a bad pick, hahaha.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:14 am

Bunch of losers.
They really are. Such misguided anger. Be mad at the team/GM all you want, but if you're sending 18 year old's hate messages and death threats simply because your team drafted them, then I'm not sure sports is your thing. Maybe grippy socks and a padded room is more befitting. I know a message board for you.
Habs fans suck. I have one Habs fan friend, and he's convinced they rigged the lottery for Chicago "because the NHL loves the big markets." The irony of a fan from Montreal whining about big markets getting preferential treatment was entirely lost on him. He also had no defense for why the supposed draft fixing, big market loving NHL would allow McDavid, one of the 5 best draft prospects ever, to wind up in Edmonton after they'd already won 2 lotteries.

It wasn't a bad pick it was just terribly misplaced. They could have moved the pick if they wanted and still have gotten him. A real lack of due diligence on the part of Montreal's management.

I really feel bad for the kid. It was not his fault

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:14 am

Bunch of losers.

Oh with out a doubt. It's one of the best offensive drafts in a while and you grab a defenseman at 5 that's projected to be a top 4 guy. He's not Cale Maker. I understand their anger, I'd be bummed too. It's just misguided.

Anyway, worked out great for us because if say the Yotes grabbed Dvorsky, I would not have liked any of the options left for the Blues at 10. There were 8 forwards that I think were clearly better than the rest and glad ONE fell to us.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:59 am
BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:26 pm

Maybe Montreal drafted the Shohei Ohtani of goaltenders.
Modern day Babe Ruth, minus the accusations that he murdered his wife.
WTF!?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:33 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:59 am
Modern day Babe Ruth, minus the accusations that he murdered his wife.
WTF!?
It's a fun google rabbit hole to go down but Babe Ruth's wife died in a house fire in her sleep. Her family accused him of having something to do with it.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:33 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:59 am Modern day Babe Ruth, minus the accusations that he murdered his wife.
WTF!?
It's a fun google rabbit hole to go down but Babe Ruth's wife died in a house fire in her sleep. Her family accused him of having something to do with it.
You had me googling this on my lunch. Damn. Seems like it's possible that it's true. Can't get all the facts. Was Ruth living in the same house at the time? It seems like they were separated for years?? If not living there, was he there the day of the fire? This puts a whole new theory in his called shot.

Just glanced at the 2024 draft rankings and all three are playing in the US.

Too soon for All in on Macklin?

1. Macklin Celebrini, C (Boston University, NCAA)
Dynamic. Dangerous. Deceptive. Take your buzzword of choice. He’s not Connor Bedard, but Celebrini is one hell of a prize for whoever snags the first overall pick. Celebrini had one of the most remarkable rookie seasons we’ve ever seen in the USHL, recording 46 goals and 86 points to lead the league. He won the league’s player and rookie of the year awards and then capped off the season by scoring the game-winning overtime goal for Canada at the U-18 World Championship. Shoulder surgery will keep him out of action with Boston University to start the year, but the 17-year-old center will obliterate the college ranks once he’s ready. Expect him to compete for a spot on Canada’s world junior roster, too.

BillP wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:38 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:47 am Always good when your top pick is consistently the best player on the ice at prospect camp. Enjoy your 4th everyone!

Yeah but we passed on But. We could of brought back Anas and had a hell of a line.
This is the kind of content we love to see on BNF, folks!

JR had a really good piece today on the two Slovaks and Demitra. Worth the read, I enjoyed it.

https://theathletic.com/4663413/2023/07 ... l-demitra/

The two recent Blues draft picks were just 5 years old when Demitra played his final game in the NHL. But as fellow Slovaks, they knew him as a hockey legend, and remember how his tragic death a year later shook the worldwide hockey community. Demitra was one of 44 people who died when a jet carrying the Lokomotiv club crashed in Yaroslavl. He was 36 years old.

“I cried when he died,” Pekarcik says. “I was sitting at the TV and I see the news in Slovakia. It was, for me, not a good experience.”

“Every time you see these Slovakians come through, your first thought is Pav,” says Keith Tkachuk, who played with Demitra and now works for the club as an amateur scout. “I’m glad to see that these young kids recognize Pav and that his legacy lives on in Slovakia. That’s the kind of person and player he was. He was the big guy in Slovakia and there are rinks named after him. He’s got a lot of history over there, and it’s nice to see that.”

“It is really cool to be here where he played,” Dvorsky says. “I feel good here. It’s a great environment and great people. So far I love it here.”

“It’s an unbelievable feeling,” Pekarcik adds. “It’s (a) good place for me.”

Both forwards looked comfortable on the ice in drills and scrimmages.

Dvorsky was a human highlight reel, scoring at least four goals in the game action, including on a spin-o-rama that he put in the top shelf on the backhand.

“That’s why I’m here,” Dvorsky says. “I’m here to make an impression and to just show myself to the people who believe in me. I’m not here just for a hat and a T-shirt.”

T.C. wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:38 am nice. funny the way that reads, KT is not quite good enough to be a professional scout, but he's trying. he's a scout intern.
Keith is the classic rink rat. I think the dude just loves being around the game and involved. Guess we're seeing that with Steen too, some guys just don't know what to do with themselves when they retire.

You have some players who only want to be coaches/GMs then you have others who have no issue paying their dues again and just helping where they can. I respect it.

Dvorsky seems super legit. Best case reasonable scenario based on post draft hype:

Dvorsky=Thomas+
Stenberg=Conroy
Lindstein=Gunnarsson+

I'll take it. Surely none of the 3 will disappoint and the more appropriate comps will be Lemieux/Bergeron/Lidstrom.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:44 am
T.C. wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:38 am nice. funny the way that reads, KT is not quite good enough to be a professional scout, but he's trying. he's a scout intern.
Keith is the classic rink rat. I think the dude just loves being around the game and involved. Guess we're seeing that with Steen too, some guys just don't know what to do with themselves when they retire.

You have some players who only want to be coaches/GMs then you have others who have no issue paying their dues again and just helping where they can. I respect it.
sure. love it. not everyone can cut hair like reed low. i'm just saying the grammar of the statement is amusing.

Dave's a mess wrote: Dvorsky seems super legit. Best case reasonable scenario based on post draft hype:

Dvorsky=Thomas+
Stenberg=Conroy
Lindstein=Gunnarsson+

I'll take it. Surely none of the 3 will disappoint and the more appropriate comps will be Lemieux/Bergeron/Lidstrom.
That's great to hear!! But I'm hoping Dalibor exceeds Thomas substantially. We need a super elite talent bad. It's about time so to speak.

Great piece this morning about the Blues prospects, the depth of it, the tiers they are in and comments on them from Blues director of player personnel, Tim Taylor.

https://theathletic.com/4668436/2023/07 ... ed_article

They listed Dvorsky, Bolduc, and Snug in their "Blue chips" tier. Imagine them on a line together in a couple years. Could be exciting times ahead.

But the two that jumped off the page to me was the comparison Taylor made on Zach Dean and Buchinger.

Taylor: “He’s a good, solid, two-way forward. I went and watched the playoff series, Gatineau against Quebec, in the QMJHL semifinals, and it was a heck of a series. Zach was a very prominent player. He was on the ice in every different situation. He was a leader on that team. He won the scoring championship in the Quebec league, after only playing three rounds. He was just a dominant player. Every time he was on the ice, something happened, and whether he scored a goal or not, he made plays. He’s a little more tenacious and heavier (6-feet, 176 pounds) than Doug Gilmour, but he has attributes of being that guy that leads both ways.”

Taylor: “He reminds me a lot of (former Blues defenseman) Vince Dunn. He skates real smooth, makes cut-backs and moves the puck up ice really well. He has a lot of similarities to Dunn, and we always liked Dunn as a player. ‘Buch’ has done a good job. He had a great year last year, and we expect him to be on Team Canada for the world junior team this year. That’s going to be another great experience for him.”

Blues also have TWO 7th round Russians making noise in the prospect rankings.