Re: NHL Draft GDT

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:01 pm This is interesting. There really weren't a lot of surprises in the first round other than positioning.
Classic copy cat league. Big team wins the cup, teams want a big team. I'm old enough to remember when the Blues were the big team winning the cup
Damn, we got no 2nd round pick to nab somebody. That hurts.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:03 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:01 pm This is interesting. There really weren't a lot of surprises in the first round other than positioning.
Classic copy cat league. Big team wins the cup, teams want a big team. I'm old enough to remember when the Blues were the big team winning the cup
Damn, we got no 2nd round pick to nab somebody. That hurts.
I'd rather have 3 firsts.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:32 am I don't think Habs fans are happy with their pick of Reinbacher. Warning: don't play out loud at work

Instead of going to Tootsies the Montreal and Arizona teams were tooting something else.

I realize teams need defensemen but you can't waste a top pick for guys who will never be difference makers. Baffling.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:15 am With how it played out, there's no one I would've rather had at #32 than Zach Dean so it worked out the Blues took the prospect versus the 1st in that trade.
Great perspective. It worked out best for all parties. No way would Barbashev have hit 5x5 without his playoff performance. He probably would've gotten more if he'd have waited a few days, but I get not messing with a good thing. The Blues may or may not have been willing/able to sign him if they'd have held on to him at the deadline, but Dean probably fits the needs of the organization a little better.

Dave's a mess wrote: Was listening to some comments about Dvorsky this morning and really liked this one, "He lives in the hard areas of the ice."
Yeah, I remember reading about him for the first time a few weeks ago. I was impressed too. Sounds like a winner. Has a high floor so they say, so we can't lose on this one - right?

I imagine the Blues tried to move up in this draft but couldn't. We had to get teased with Perreault dropping to 23 - ouch

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:57 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Was listening to some comments about Dvorsky this morning and really liked this one, "He lives in the hard areas of the ice."
Yeah, I remember reading about him for the first time a few weeks ago. I was impressed too. Sounds like a winner. Has a high floor so they say, so we can't lose on this one - right?

I imagine the Blues tried to move up in this draft but couldn't. We had to get teased with Perreault dropping to 23 - ouch
Perrault will just tease the Rangers instead.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:33 am Was listening to some comments about Dvorsky this morning and really liked this one, "He lives in the hard areas of the ice."
That's something I notice in all three of their picks. High character, high intangible, hard working, not fun to play against guys. They clearly had a focus in this draft to go for 200 foot players and they nailed that.

Thinking about Stenberg's floor being a 3rd line do it all winger versus his upside of being a top 6 guy. It was an exciting draft. Musty who I liked and was hoping for at 25 is a much higher offensive potential guy but when you draft guys who are all offense, if that part of their game doesn't develop they have nothing to fall back on.
Just a Russian propaganda account

St. Louis Blues
Pick: 10. Dalibor Dvorsky
My ranking: No. 8

Pick: 25. Otto Stenberg
My ranking: No. 28

Pick: 29. Theo Lindstein
My ranking: No. 58

I’m sure the Blues are thrilled with Dvorsky at No. 10, and they should be. So should you, if you’re a Blues fan. They’ve got plenty coming on the wings. In Dvorsky, they got the centre they needed and, for me, the best centre in the draft after the big four. Dvorsky is known as a detail-oriented projectable middle-six player who should stick at centre if his skating continues to progress. I’m of the mind that he’s both a better skater and more gifted offensively than he gets credit for, with legit skill on the puck, great feel and touch as a passer, and an NHL shooting arsenal (a dangerous wrister, a one-timer he likes to let go on the flank on the power play, etc.).

I liked the Stenberg pick, too, and I’ll be interested to see if he can stick at centre (he has played both centre and the wing both domestically in Sweden and with their national team) and give them another guy down the middle on top of Dvorsky long-term. He’s a versatile player who can play on both special teams, has skill on the puck and has great instincts all over the ice.

I wasn’t surprised to see them take Lindstein, either. Two potential centres and a defenceman felt like the best use of their resources. I do find his game a little bland, but he’s a solid, well-rounded defender who most in the NHL and in Sweden believe will become a nice complementary two-way blueliner.

https://theathletic.com/4629671/2023/06 ... rs-losers/
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:00 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:33 am Was listening to some comments about Dvorsky this morning and really liked this one, "He lives in the hard areas of the ice."
That's something I notice in all three of their picks. High character, high intangible, hard working, not fun to play against guys. They clearly had a focus in this draft to go for 200 foot players and they nailed that.

Thinking about Stenberg's floor being a 3rd line do it all winger versus his upside of being a top 6 guy. It was an exciting draft. Musty who I liked and was hoping for at 25 is a much higher offensive potential guy but when you draft guys who are all offense, if that part of their game doesn't develop they have nothing to fall back on.
After last season the front office was reminded you need guys that can kill penalties.

That's the thing I was just telling Matt this morning here at work. If Steen does have input on our Euro picks, at least it's from a guy who was a heady player that played a complete game with a strong work ethic. He should be an asset to the organization.