Re: NHL Draft GDT

Holy euro draft....straying from the North American player. that will come back to bite them down the road
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

29. St. Louis Blues: Theo Lindstein, LHD, BRYNAS (SWEDEN)

January 5, 2005 | 6′ 0″ | 185 pounds

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Background: Lindstein split time between Brynas’ SHL and J20 team this season but got more time up in the SHL in a limited-minutes role. He was a major part of Sweden’s U18 team during the course of the season. He was also on Sweden’s U18 team as a 16-year-old.

Analysis: Lindstein’s game is quiet but effective. He’s a strong skater who can kill a lot of rushes and transport pucks up ice. He’s a smart puck-mover who makes a great first pass and has some blue line poise. He can make some tough plays and get up into attacks even though I wouldn’t call his offensive touch a standout aspect. He’s not that physical, but Lindstein defends well due to his brain and feet and gives a solid effort. I see him as a third-pair defenseman in the NHL.

Thoughts on the pick: St. Louis addresses a critical organizational need by adding Lindstein, a strong skating defenseman who can move the puck. He isn’t the flashiest player in the world and he’s average-sized, but he’s a quality defenseman with a good chance to have an NHL career.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:27 pm 29. St. Louis Blues: Theo Lindstein, LHD, BRYNAS (SWEDEN)

Background: Lindstein split time between Brynas’ SHL and J20 team this season but got more time up in the SHL in a limited-minutes role. He was a major part of Sweden’s U18 team during the course of the season. He was also on Sweden’s U18 team as a 16-year-old.

Analysis: Lindstein’s game is quiet but effective. He’s a strong skater who can kill a lot of rushes and transport pucks up ice. He’s a smart puck-mover who makes a great first pass and has some blue line poise. He can make some tough plays and get up into attacks even though I wouldn’t call his offensive touch a standout aspect. He’s not that physical, but Lindstein defends well due to his brain and feet and gives a solid effort. I see him as a third-pair defenseman in the NHL.

Thoughts on the pick: St. Louis addresses a critical organizational need by adding Lindstein, a strong skating defenseman who can move the puck. He isn’t the flashiest player in the world and he’s average-sized, but he’s a quality defenseman with a good chance to have an NHL career.
Taking a projected third pairing D in the first round is a head scratcher.

I thought The Blues might take Gulyayev with #29. The Avs get him. He's very young, but has a lot of natural talent and great hockey sense for his age and limited experience experience compared to older players. Clearly, The Blues think he has a significantly higher upside than Gulyayev.
Last edited by Robb_K on Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:31 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:27 pm 29. St. Louis Blues: Theo Lindstein, LHD, BRYNAS (SWEDEN)

I don't think there are many sure thing top 6 forwards or top 4 D this late in the round. Some will make it, but not sure things.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:35 pm

I don't think there are many sure thing top 6 forwards or top 4 D this late in the round. Some will make it, but not sure things.
Well that's true but I really don't think Lindstein was the BPA.

I thought The Blues might take Gulyayev with #29. The Avs get him. Lindstein's very young, but has a lot of natural talent and great hockey sense for his age and limited experience experience compared to older players. Clearly, The Blues think he has a significantly higher upside than Gulyayev.

Maybe it was how the board fell or maybe it was a strategy but they clearly targeted solid, "safe" picks with their two late ones. Guys that seem to have a high probability of playing in the league.

"Theo Lindstein is safe, calm and a play killer with his stick. Simple, good decisions and even some deception to open lanes when needed. Lindstein holds a good gap and is quick out to the boards with aggression. He joins attacks and plays solid with the puck. "

Honestly, I'd be thrilled to have a guy like that currently available to the team. The ESPN broadcast said his analytics gave his player comp as Petro. Now I certainly doubt that's his upside, but there is clearly something there with him
"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:46 pm

Maybe it was how the board fell or maybe it was a strategy but they clearly targeted solid, "safe" picks with their two late ones. Guys that seem to have a high probability of playing in the league.

"Theo Lindstein is safe, calm and a play killer with his stick. Simple, good decisions and even some deception to open lanes when needed. Lindstein holds a good gap and is quick out to the boards with aggression. He joins attacks and plays solid with the puck. "

Honestly, I'd be thrilled to have a guy like that currently available to the team. The ESPN broadcast said his analytics gave his player comp as Petro. Now I certainly doubt that's his upside, but there is clearly something there with him
"
Sportsnet crew really likes what the Blues did. Raving about it actually.

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:25 pm Holy euro draft....straying from the North American player. that will come back to bite them down the road
Definitely get what you're saying, but at least this isn't some wild trend of the Blues. All their top forward prospects, Bolduc, Dean, Snug, Neighbours are all NA guys. Now we have a sprinkle of Euro influence.

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:25 pm Holy euro draft....straying from the North American player. that will come back to bite them down the road
Shades of Kekkalainen. We all thought hiring him as Chief Amateur Scout was genious, as he'd find all the European "sleepers". But most of his picks, despite their great skating ability and high skill levels, fizzled out. It turned out that turning back to heavily Canadian and US-bred players, chosen by Bill Armstrong, was a lot better. But, I think picking 3 out of 3 European 1st Round choices was just a coincidence, based on how the board fell. I don't think it is is the start of a Blues' operational trend.

Robb_K wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:04 pm
Shades of Kekkalainen. We all thought hiring him as Chief Amateur Scout was genious, as he'd find all the European "sleepers". But most of his picks, despite their great skating ability and high skill levels, fizzled out. It turned out that turning back to heavily Canadian and US-bred players, chosen by Bill Armstrong, was a lot better. But, I think picking 3 out of 3 European 1st Round choices was just a coincidence, based on how the board fell. I don't think it is is the start of a Blues' operational trend.
I totally agree Robb. 👍

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:17 pm Just realized Pronman nailed this pick in his mock draft:

29. St. Louis Blues: Theo Lindstein, LHD, Brynas (SHL)
Lindstein’s stock rose during the second half of the season with strong SHL and international play. The Blues address an organizational need by picking the highly mobile and intelligent puck-mover.

https://theathletic.com/4644044/2023/06 ... man-final/
He kind of sounds like Leddy

Maybe the Blues knocked it out of the park in the 1st rd. Who knows.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:01 pm This is interesting. There really weren't a lot of surprises in the first round other than positioning.
Classic copy cat league. Big team wins the cup, teams want a big team. I'm old enough to remember when the Blues were the big team winning the cup