Re: NHL Draft GDT

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:09 pm Official Dave's a Mess top 10 mock draft:

1. CHI-Bedard
2. ANA-Fantilli
3. CBJ- Smith
4. SJ- Carlsson
5. TRADE PHI- Michkov
6. AZ- Reinbacher
7. TRADE MTL- Dvorsky
8. WSH- Leonard
9. DET- Wood
10. STL- Benson

Just try to act surprised when it happens, ok guys?
Went 2.5/10. Get half credit for Philly. This is why you all pay me the big bucks.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Ain't nothing wrong with that pick, imo.

Background
Stenberg was the captain of Sweden's U18 team this season. He got extended time in the SHL with Frolunda. His performance in Sweden's J20 league wasn't as good as expected, but he scored very well in that league as a 16-year-old. He was a top scorer at the Hlinka Gretzky this summer and at the U18s in the spring.
Analysis
There is a lot to like about Stenberg's game. He is a strong skater with good hands who can be a threat in transition. His shot is excellent, and Stenberg is often a threat to score from the faceoff dots, although I don't know if that will be his role on an NHL power play. Stenberg isn’t the biggest forward, but he gives an honest effort every night and doesn’t shy from going into traffic. His hockey sense is good enough to score at higher levels, but he's certainly more of a shooter than a passer. He's listed as a center but is likely a pro winger. I could see him as a second- or third-line wing in the NHL.

Player Comparable
Alexander Barabanov
Just a Russian propaganda account

Stenberg! I'm okay with this pick. needing a D-man badly, they took another centre. I guess they figure it's better to take something a lot more sure. Defencemen at that young age, are much harder to peg than forwards. Better to go with the odds of getting the BPA.