Re: News and Games around the NHL

JMC-STL wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:25 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:24 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:18 pm
Fox was drafted by Calgary, but traded to Carolina two years later. It's like the Flames knew something that the Canes didn't.
Yes. It’s that he only wanted to play for his hometown team
Nobody likes a Homer. Except Marge. And she needs his steady income from the nuculer plant.
I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been more of a thing. I mean I guess most kids truly don't care where they play as long as they make the league. But imagine a truly elite prospect like a Bedard was like, I'm just going to go play 4 years of college and then sign with whatever team I want for whatever money I want?
Just a Russian propaganda account

The Army rumors are definitely interesting, and depending on his contract I could definitely see it having legs.

Toronto is talent loaded, is cup contending, and is where he is from. If he wins a cup there as a GM he is a hockey God, probably goes down as one of the best GMs ever, and has a legacy. Blues are currently reloading/retooling, he's already reached the peak here, and has nothing really left to prove. The reason for staying would mostly be that with the Blues he basically has full control. He answers to no one really. In Toronto he'd have at least Shanny over him.

These guys are pretty prideful and have egos and if he wants the ultimate challenge to test himself, he'd want the Toronto job.

IF it does happen, I will be updating my linkedin profile to include my post on here so the Blues can see I am the best man to take the reigns.
Last edited by Dread_Pirate_Westley on Mon May 22, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:51 am The Army rumors are definitely interesting, and depending on his contract I could definitely see it having legs.

Toronto is talent loaded, is cup contending, and is where he is from. If he wins a cup there as a GM he is a hockey God, probably goes down as one of the best GMs ever, and has a legacy. Blues are currently reloading/retooling, he's already reached the peak here, and has nothing really left to prove. The reason for staying would mostly be that with the Blues has basically has full control. He answers to no one really. In Toronto he'd have at least Shanny over him.

These guys are pretty prideful and have egos and if he wants the ultimate challenge to test himself, he'd want the Toronto job.

IF it does happen, I will be updating my linkedin profile to include my post on here so the Blues can see I am the best man to take the reigns.
I agree with all of this. There is no better candidate that Toronto could put on their list.

I'm sure Armstrong has some kind of out clause but we would get some pretty hefty compensation.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:46 am
JMC-STL wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:25 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:24 pm
Yes. It’s that he only wanted to play for his hometown team
Nobody likes a Homer. Except Marge. And she needs his steady income from the nuculer plant.
I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been more of a thing. I mean I guess most kids truly don't care where they play as long as they make the league. But imagine a truly elite prospect like a Bedard was like, I'm just going to go play 4 years of college and then sign with whatever team I want for whatever money I want?
I believe they're still subject to entry level deal caps. Bedard would just be giving away 4 years salary. The playbook for getting out of your drafted team as fast as possible while making as much money as possible was just written by Matthew Tkachuk.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I know it's coming from the big national reporters, but have any of the "Armstrong to Toronto" rumors been claimed to be anything beyond speculation? For as close to the vest as Armstrong has played things here, I'd have to think he'd hate how many leaks there tend to be in Toronto.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:19 pm I know it's coming from the big national reporters, but have any of the "Armstrong to Toronto" rumors been claimed to be anything beyond speculation? For as close to the vest as Armstrong has played things here, I'd have to think he'd hate how many leaks there tend to be in Toronto.
Such as what? Like he’s interviewing? I haven’t seen anything like that. Think it’s just speculation of who they could potentially pursue. Only confirmed name I’ve seen is the former Flames GM

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:24 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:19 pm I know it's coming from the big national reporters, but have any of the "Armstrong to Toronto" rumors been claimed to be anything beyond speculation? For as close to the vest as Armstrong has played things here, I'd have to think he'd hate how many leaks there tend to be in Toronto.
Such as what? Like he’s interviewing? I haven’t seen anything like that. Think it’s just speculation of who they could potentially pursue. Only confirmed name I’ve seen is the former Flames GM
Ah, ok. I didn't really pay much attention to any hockey news over the weekend, so I didn't know if this was just spitballing or if there was hard news.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:13 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:24 pm
Ah, ok. I didn't really pay much attention to any hockey news over the weekend, so I didn't know if this was just spitballing or if there was hard news.
It's Toronto and the sports media pretty much drives everything there so I would say this isn't just an idle rumor. Someone is pushing for it.

If you compare Armstrong to Treliving it's a pretty wide gap in quality. Armstrong has a great track record, he's well known and it would definitely go down good with the fans.

Matangama wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:45 pm
BluesSK wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:51 am Who's your pick for the new Blues GM if Armstrong does go to Toronto.
I’m going with a up & comer, not a retread (and no chicks). Two options…….Rich Peverley, who is now the Director of Player Personnel in Dallas, or Eric Tulsky, the assistant GM in Carolina.
These are interesting choices.

More Armstrong to Leafs talk: There’s much more in the article itself than what I copied below https://theathletic.com/4542290/2023/05 ... ed_article

That brings us to Doug Armstrong. The Leafs’ GM search was about five minutes old this past weekend when people began to mention Armstrong’s name as a possible candidate.

The Blues GM certainly checks all the boxes as far as experience and a Cup ring — not to mention the kind of confidence and wherewithal to withstand the pressure-packed demands of the Toronto market.

For starters, I do not believe Armstrong has an actual “out” in his contract with the Blues. He signed a five-year extension in September 2021 that runs through the 2025-26 season.

But I also think Armstrong has the kind of strong relationship with Blues owner Tom Stillman that if the Maple Leafs approached Stillman about it, maybe he would be OK with it if it’s something that Armstrong really wanted. Maybe, maybe not. Pretty hard to know exactly how Stillman would react.

Would Shanahan see that as too many hoops to go through? It’s pretty unusual for a GM to get pried away when still under contract for multiple years.

But Armstrong might be worth the hassle. Again, I have no idea at this point whether Shanahan would go down that road. Or whether Armstrong would, though maybe there has been a hint of it.

During a sit-down interview with Armstrong I did back in October 2019, a few months after the Blues won the Cup, I remember asking Armstrong whether being a GM in Canada was something he aspired to before his career was over. His close friend Ken Holland had been hired in Edmonton five months earlier. And the reason I asked the question at the time was also that Armstrong has had such a long history of Team Canada involvement, from being GM of the World Cup-winning team in September 2016 to being part of Steve Yzerman’s management staff for the 2010 and 2014 Olympics. He’s GM of Canada’s team at the World Championship right now and, of course, was slated to be Canada’s GM at the Beijing Olympics last year had the NHL not pulled out.

BillP. wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:28 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Calgary fans have to be sick to their stomach watching this playoff performance by Tkachuk and Bennett
Calgary literally Wild E Coyote of the NHL right now. They had the winning lotto numbers but couldn't put them together.
It gets more funny when you factor Calgary traded the 2nd they received for Sam Bennett to Seattle for Calle Jarnkrok to come play 29 games for them, including playoffs, and score 1 goal. Would class asset management, and the guy behind it is believed to be the guy Toronto is trying to hire???