Thoughts on no changes?

I'm just curious what everyone would think if Hitch and the core(Backes,Oshie,Steen) were all back next year and what you think the chances are that we will just have some bottom line and bottom pairing roster churn?

Backes and Steen have NTC so they can veto any trade and Oshie's trade value might have never been lower than it is right now. With Armstrong's love and loyalty to Hitch, I'm really starting to wonder just how much roster change we will actually see.

Re: Thoughts on no changes?

I wouldn't be happy. It's clear as day to me that a good chunk of the old core simply doesn't have the killer instinct that is absolutely vital in the playoffs. Hitch has his faults so I'd be fine with a coaching change but the players' lack of heart isn't on Hitch.

I'm not cool just dumping guys to get rid of them but IMO it's time to build around the new core or Tarasenko, Schwartz and Petro. I'm not advocating for trading all of Backes, Oshie and Steen but changes are needed.

STL fan in IA wrote:I wouldn't be happy. It's clear as day to me that a good chunk of the old core simply doesn't have the killer instinct that is absolutely vital in the playoffs. Hitch has his faults so I'd be fine with a coaching change but the players' lack of heart isn't on Hitch.

I'm not cool just dumping guys to get rid of them but IMO it's time to build around the new core or Tarasenko, Schwartz and Petro. I'm not advocating for trading all of Backes, Oshie and Steen but changes are needed.
For sure, but I also put Hitch on the out for sure; this team needs both to change (full coaching overhaul...all gone).

However, as time goes on, I'm starting to get concerned they are going to wait to long. If we don't know something this week on Hitch, I think it is clear he is staying. If he does, at the least two of the core and most of the asst coaches should be gone.

IF it is still the same top 9 forwards and coaching, I'll honestly probably not be as interested. Tired of this show and being sold the same tickets to the same 6 game dance over and over. 3 times is enough chances. There was no excuse of SC winner, injuries, or anything this time. It is fully on both coach and players.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Maybe if they made changes to put these guys in roles they're better suited for...Oshie on the 3rd line with Sobie (here's to hoping), Backes on the wing with Stastny, etc. You're clearly not going to get anywhere counting on these guys to carry the load on the top line.

That said, it's going to be one helluva sales job to get people fired up for the season if they don't make some changes. It will take some serious winning out of the gate to get people on board.

STL fan in IA wrote:I wouldn't be happy. It's clear as day to me that a good chunk of the old core simply doesn't have the killer instinct that is absolutely vital in the playoffs. Hitch has his faults so I'd be fine with a coaching change but the players' lack of heart isn't on Hitch.

I'm not cool just dumping guys to get rid of them but IMO it's time to build around the new core or Tarasenko, Schwartz and Shatty. I'm not advocating for trading all of Backes, Oshie and Steen but changes are needed.

Fixed it for ya.... :)
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

wizard pork sword wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:Big changes are coming.......just give it another 30 days or so.
You may have already said so, but your best guess or hope, what change(s) do you foresee? Players out and maybe those in?
I see a multiplayer trade around the draft. There are a few teams that continue to make some sense as a trading partner with Edmonton and Boston being the top two candidates. Guys I see on the outs...Oshie, Gunnarsson, possibly Bouwmeester, and moving someone like Steen wouldn't surprise me. As for the return players....the same guys that have been mentioned....Lucic or Marchand, Eberle, or Nugent Hopkins.
I see a minor deal in July.....maybe someone like Bergy to Montreal, your guess is as good as mine on the return.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Man in the box wrote:Maybe if they made changes to put these guys in roles they're better suited for...Oshie on the 3rd line with Sobie (here's to hoping), Backes on the wing with Stastny, etc. You're clearly not going to get anywhere counting on these guys to carry the load on the top line.

That said, it's going to be one helluva sales job to get people fired up for the season if they don't make some changes. It will take some serious winning out of the gate to get people on board.
It sure will.

I would have preferred that there would have been some decisive changes in the coaching of this team soon after the playoffs ended so the front office could have made a serious push at getting the best coaching candidate available.

No matter how it is going to be now whether Hitch goes, people will say the Blues waited too long and didn't get the best available (i.e. Babcock, McLellan, etc.) or if he stays people will think the Blues ended up being stuck with Hitch and the rest of the coaching staff whose expiration date has long passed.

I would be stunned if this team kept basically the same roster that has failed three times in a row.

Man in the box wrote:What are the odds that if Babcock stays the Blues go after Blashill? The Wings have apparently denied permission to speak to him given they see him as the heir apparent, but I believe they told him if Babcock comes back he was free to go.
I would be good with looking into Blashill as I've only heard good things about him but I don't personally know enough about him to say, "yes, absolutely, let's hire the guy."

That said, my guess is that Blues mgmt would prefer a veteran NHL coach.

STL fan in IA wrote:
Man in the box wrote:What are the odds that if Babcock stays the Blues go after Blashill? The Wings have apparently denied permission to speak to him given they see him as the heir apparent, but I believe they told him if Babcock comes back he was free to go.
I would be good with looking into Blashill as I've only heard good things about him but I don't personally know enough about him to say, "yes, absolutely, let's hire the guy."

That said, my guess is that Blues mgmt would prefer a veteran NHL coach.
I don't either, but then I do trust Holland's judgment. Just about everything he touches turns to gold. If he considers him a keeper that's enough for me.

If we made no changes to the team or to the coaching staff I think I'd be about as excited as I was about the 2005-06 Blues. Actually less so because at least there was a sense of hope that by the end of that season we'd have a franchise player coming in a top draft pick. This team is stale they need a change of coaching staff and about 3-6 big name players need to go.

I'll be honest, I'd be devastated if no significant changes were made. The only thing that keeps me going is hope and if no major changes occur then I will have lost all hope for the coming season. I mean I'll still watch occasionally, but with only about the same level of interest as baseball.

To put it in perspective, if no changes were made it would be equivalent to Checketts taking over from Bill Laurie after the team was gutted, as far as my interest level in the team.

wizard pork sword wrote:I'm just curious what everyone would think if Hitch and the core(Backes,Oshie,Steen) were all back next year and what you think the chances are that we will just have some bottom line and bottom pairing roster churn?

Backes and Steen have NTC so they can veto any trade and Oshie's trade value might have never been lower than it is right now. With Armstrong's love and loyalty to Hitch, I'm really starting to wonder just how much roster change we will actually see.
No joke - I would literally find an eastern conference team to root for and check back in around presidents day. Eff that. The emotional investment i've made FAR exceeds the return. Need to see some serious ROI if there are no changes.

(Don't I sound tough?)

SickMittsRomKnee wrote:
wizard pork sword wrote:I'm just curious what everyone would think if Hitch and the core(Backes,Oshie,Steen) were all back next year and what you think the chances are that we will just have some bottom line and bottom pairing roster churn?

No joke - I would literally find an eastern conference team to root for and check back in around presidents day. Eff that. The emotional investment i've made FAR exceeds the return. Need to see some serious ROI if there are no changes.

(Don't I sound tough?)
I hope the Blues braintrust has an accurate gauge on how dissatisfied the fanbase is.

I mean losing to eventual Stanley Cup winners is one thing but then when things are supposed to be at their best and easily losing to Minnesota, who are then subsequently swept by Chicago is a sure sign that things are very wrong with this team.

BluesSK wrote: I hope the Blues braintrust has an accurate gauge on how dissatisfied the fanbase is.

I mean losing to eventual Stanley Cup winners is one thing but then when things are supposed to be at their best and easily losing to Minnesota, who are then subsequently swept by Chicago is a sure sign that things are very wrong with this team.
I'll be more worried if decisions are being made based on what the fanbase wants.

Hitch and DA will probably stay, and some players will be traded. Give it some more time - it hasn't even been a month and the playoffs aren't even over yet.

I'll repeat what I've said before - this is on the players. I refuse to believe that a future Hall of Famer with over 700 wins is the problem.

HockeyFan85 wrote:
BluesSK wrote: I hope the Blues braintrust has an accurate gauge on how dissatisfied the fanbase is.

I'll be more worried if decisions are being made based on what the fanbase wants.

Hitch and DA will probably stay, and some players will be traded. Give it some more time - it hasn't even been a month and the playoffs aren't even over yet.

I'll repeat what I've said before - this is on the players. I refuse to believe that a future Hall of Famer with over 700 wins is the problem.
Agreed that it is mostly on the players but I also don't have any desire to see Hitchcock back behind the bench either. He's part of the problem too his passive defensive scheme isn't working come playoff time. Also his HOF resume was really established last century. He's a great coach but since the turn of the century his results have been fairly poor.

I'm worried that management is trying to be too cute and smart about this. It's almost like they are saying, "we don't want to make things worse by 'overreacting'".

However, firing the coach, changing directions, and trading several core members is not an overreaction. It is based on a logical assessment of the problem. The coach lost the team and plays an outdated style of hockey that doesn't succeed in the playoffs. We need more speed, talent and heart. And Oshie, Berglund, and maybe Backes all need to go. They have failed as leaders, lack speed, and can't seem to perform that well in the playoffs.