Re: GDT: StLouis Blues @ Edmonton - 3:00 10/22 - TV:BSMW/ESPN+

Another excellent period for The Blues! Lots of skating, but little room for The Oilers to operate, and almost no whistles. Two periods over in jig time. I can't remember a game going by so fast recently. On the road against this team, I'll take it every time. I'm still waiting for Kyrou to get his major breakthrough, where the game slows down for him and he takes control. With all the chances he gets, he could easily be a 50+ goal scorer when he slows his initiation actions down and
force the defenders out of their strategy, and to guess what he will do (which will be wrong, a lot more than right). Most of the time, he loses some of his control on the puck by trying to get his move or shot off fully on the fly, so it occurs absolutely as quickly as possible. But often, he has the time to get of a nice hesitation move, deke, or dipsy-doodle to get the goalie leaning, and leaving him a lot more room to hit with the shot. Other times, he hesitates thinking of what to do, and the defence catches up, or the goalie has a chance to get in better position. Every young player goes through that improvement. And some take longer than others. I guess that it will happen in an average time period with Kyrou, but it seems longer because he got so good at jumping on breakaway opportunities so early in his career. I'm hoping that by the later middle of this season he'll be a LOT better at finishing on his breakaways.

barnburner wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:25 pm Remember when some people worried that coach would make the blues a boring, all defense team?
In this fast-skating-high-scoring league, a team holding down a lot of scoring potential by staying with tight-checking at all cost, would have trouble scoring. you need to score to finish ahead of your opponent. You have to tailor your system to the horses your GM gives you.
Last edited by Robb_K on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good, solid road win in a tough barn! Binnington look great. Saad, Barbashev, Schenn, Faulk, Krug, Leddy, Acciari, Thomas, Kyrou, Tarasenko, O'Reilly all played well. Mikkola and Neighbours played decently. A solid game by almost everyone. The Blues are 3-0 during a time they need to get back to mid-season timing. Nice start to the season. We'll see how Greiss looks in the next game, in Winnipeg, against my Jets. I'm guessing that my sister and brother-in-law will be there. I'm Jealous. Ordinarily I'd be leaving The Netherlands to head over there in a week or two. 8-)

Robb_K wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:33 pm Good, solid road win in a tough barn! Binnington look great. Saad, Barbashev, Schenn, Faulk, Krug, Leddy, Acciari, Thomas, Kyrou, Tarasenko, O'Reilly all played well. Mikkola and Neighbours played decently. A solid game by almost everyone. The Blues are 3-0 during a time they need to get back to mid-season timing. Nice start to the season. We'll see how Greiss looks in the next game, in Winnipeg, against my Jets. I'm guessing that my sister and brother-in-law will be there. I'm Jealous. Ordinarily I'd be leaving The Netherlands to head over there in a week or two. 8-)
Too bad Robb. My family and I are going to the game on Monday.

I hope Binnington gets the start though.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:48 pm
Robb_K wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:33 pm Good, solid road win in a tough barn! Binnington look great. Saad, Barbashev, Schenn, Faulk, Krug, Leddy, Acciari, Thomas, Kyrou, Tarasenko, O'Reilly all played well. Mikkola and Neighbours played decently. A solid game by almost everyone. The Blues are 3-0 during a time they need to get back to mid-season timing. Nice start to the season. We'll see how Greiss looks in the next game, in Winnipeg, against my Jets. I'm guessing that my sister and brother-in-law will be there. I'm Jealous. Ordinarily I'd be leaving The Netherlands to head over there in a week or two. 8-)
Too bad Robb. My family and I are going to the game on Monday.

I hope Binnington gets the start though.
I would have liked to meet you there. I think Greiss is locked in, because Bernie F. announced on The Blues' post-game show that Greiss will play Monday.