Re: NHL Offseason Trades/Signings Thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:06 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:22 amHuberdeau re-signs with the Flames for 8 years 84 million. The Blues officially were not going to be able to top the Panthers offer for Tkachuk.
That's a LOT of term and cheddar for a guy who hasn't played a game for your team and will be 30 when the contract starts...
The Canadian NHL teams need to go back to the days when all of the French Canadian players were signed by Les Habitants. That way hockey fans would have just one roster that they couldn't pronounce. That Tik-a-chuck guy being the exception.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:22 am Huberdeau re-signs with the Flames for 8 years 84 million. The Blues officially were not going to be able to top the Panthers offer for Tkachuk.
That's a LOT of term and cheddar for a guy who hasn't played a game for your team and will be 30 when the contract starts...
Seems like they had their heart set on over paying for a player

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:30 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:22 am Huberdeau re-signs with the Flames for 8 years 84 million. The Blues officially were not going to be able to top the Panthers offer for Tkachuk.
Seems like they had their heart set on over paying for a player
They had no choice. Losing one high profile FA was a disaster in itself. Losing two would have cost Treliving his job

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:04 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:25 am True or False

Anaheim will be a playoff team next year...............................(Added Strome, Vatrano, Klingberg)
They certainly are improved and it wouldn't shock me if they did I guess, but I don't think those 3 make up the 20+ points they missed the playoffs by
They finished 7th in the Pacific. Along with the large points gap, they'd have to leap Vegas, Vancouver, San Jose and probably one of the Central teams just to get a wild card. They might be better, but they might not be. I still don't trust Gibson for an entire season. If I recall correctly they got off to a hot start last year and still only finished ahead of Seattle in their division.

Also, I'm not sure they're really trying to be competitive just yet. They added Klingberg, sure, but it's a one year deal designed to be able to flip him to a contender at the deadline. At this moment, I'd say they probably finish sixth in the Pacific, passing only San Jose.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

So we touched on it in another thread, but old friend Tage Thompson signed a 7 year, $50M extension with the Sabres recently. I believe he has one year left on his cheap deal before the extension kicks in. At first blush it sounds like an overreaction to a guy that had never scored more than 8 goals before exploding for 38 this year. Having said that, if you look at the video below, you can see most of these are the result of a guy that puts himself in the right spots and has a killer shot:

I still think there are years that he's not going to shoot 15% and $7M per season seems rich, but at the same time eventually the cap is going to increase and take some of the sting out of it when that happens. This deal gets a solid "we'll see" grade from me.

Dave's a mess wrote: So we touched on it in another thread, but old friend Tage Thompson signed a 7 year, $50M extension with the Sabres recently. I believe he has one year left on his cheap deal before the extension kicks in. At first blush it sounds like an overreaction to a guy that had never scored more than 8 goals before exploding for 38 this year. Having said that, if you look at the video below, you can see most of these are the result of a guy that puts himself in the right spots and has a killer shot:

I still think there are years that he's not going to shoot 15% and $7M per season seems rich, but at the same time eventually the cap is going to increase and take some of the sting out of it when that happens. This deal gets a solid "we'll see" grade from me.
Agree. There's no doubt, last year when he was hot, his release was quick. It was Hull like. The puck was off his stick in a blink and the snap shot was lethal.
But is he for real? If he really isn't a legit scorer that's going to pot 30 to 40 every year, then he's worthless and that's a horrible deal.

Side note, does Kyrou gain leverage with this deal if he duplicates or exceeds last year's numbers?

BillP. wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:58 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: So we touched on it in another thread, but old friend Tage Thompson signed a 7 year, $50M extension with the Sabres recently. I believe he has one year left on his cheap deal before the extension kicks in. At first blush it sounds like an overreaction to a guy that had never scored more than 8 goals before exploding for 38 this year. Having said that, if you look at the video below, you can see most of these are the result of a guy that puts himself in the right spots and has a killer shot:

Agree. There's no doubt, last year when he was hot, his release was quick. It was Hull like. The puck was off his stick in a blink and the snap shot was lethal.
But is he for real? If he really isn't a legit scorer that's going to pot 30 to 40 every year, then he's worthless and that's a horrible deal.

Side note, does Kyrou gain leverage with this deal if he duplicates or exceeds last year's numbers?
I don't think he's worthless in those non-crazy shooting percentage years. There's value in a 25 goal guy, just not $7 million worth of it.