Re: Blues Offseason News Thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:46 am
Matangama wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:36 am I’ll go on record…..the Blues are not trading Kyrou or Buchnevich in this deal. If the price is too high, they will simply wait.
No shot he hits free agency. Any team trading for him will want a contract signed before giving up major assets.
Dread, that’s the exact point. No team will give up significant assets to get him without him signing long-term. It sounds like that 5 team list was nothing but bullshit. Whatever…….we’ll find out soon

Matangama wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:46 am
Matangama wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:36 am I’ll go on record…..the Blues are not trading Kyrou or Buchnevich in this deal. If the price is too high, they will simply wait.
No shot he hits free agency. Any team trading for him will want a contract signed before giving up major assets.
Dread, that’s the exact point. No team will give up significant assets to get him without him signing long-term. It sounds like that 5 team list was nothing but bullshit. Whatever…….we’ll find out soon
Yeah, Doug knows the inside scoop on what Matt's intentions really are. If no deal happens and we wait, I gotta believe ML is 100% committed to STL and we will still get him as a UFA next year. I still say Blues could swing this with Barbashev, Krug and a 1st. Given the circumstances Calgary is up against, that's a fair deal and Blues still come out like bandits as they're top 9 would be sick with Kyrou, Buch and Tank all still here.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:00 am
Dave's a mess wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:53 am Good luck dumping Scandella. Makes me wonder what kind of offers Tarasenko is returning

I reject the premise. Strickland just trying to let people know he has a GM that texts back.
Good one :lol:
Yeah, I mean Ottawa just got rid of almost all of the worst goalie contract in the league for almost nothing. You just have to use your phone and find a rube. He's probably texting Chuck Fletcher, who fucked up having the league's best UFA desperately wanting to come play for his team.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:37 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:28 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:16 am

I fully expect both to walk away after this season although I think ROR would be more likely to re-sign and for less than Tarasenko. That said, no shot they trade ROR imo. You run the risk of losing the locker room if you do that
If you trade ROR in a package for Tkachuk, you're a worse team next year. That's not what Armstrong's looking to do here. I agree that there's a definite chance he leaves for nothing next summer, but I don't think there's any chance he's traded unless the season goes horribly wrong.

Regardless of where Tkachuk goes if he's traded, I have a feeling the return might be less than people expect. Either he doesn't sign a contract and the new team only has him for one guaranteed season, or he's allowed to negotiate an extension proactively with a team of his choosing, which obviously narrows the pool quite a bit. It'll still be a substantial return, but not some franchise altering bounty of riches.
If they ask for Kyrou, Parayko, and a 1st I still make the trade. But I think the Blues would prefer it be Krug over Parayko
According to The B LEAV Blues Podcast Team, Army's last offer was WAYYYYYY short of matching Florida's, - offering Tarasenko, Scandella, and a first Round draft choice. IF that is true, it's clear that he was never serious about going after Tkachuck, and wasn't willing to part with ANY of Thomas, Kyrou, Parayko, or Buchnevich to get him into a Blues' uniform. Army also probably figured he wouldn't want to pay the $10.5 million AAV for 8 years Tkachuck would want as a UFA next offseason, if, somehow, we would luck out and NO NHL team would be willing to trade for him now, WITHOUT him signing a long-term contract first.

Robb_K wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:06 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:37 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:28 am

If you trade ROR in a package for Tkachuk, you're a worse team next year. That's not what Armstrong's looking to do here. I agree that there's a definite chance he leaves for nothing next summer, but I don't think there's any chance he's traded unless the season goes horribly wrong.

Regardless of where Tkachuk goes if he's traded, I have a feeling the return might be less than people expect. Either he doesn't sign a contract and the new team only has him for one guaranteed season, or he's allowed to negotiate an extension proactively with a team of his choosing, which obviously narrows the pool quite a bit. It'll still be a substantial return, but not some franchise altering bounty of riches.
If they ask for Kyrou, Parayko, and a 1st I still make the trade. But I think the Blues would prefer it be Krug over Parayko
According to The B LEAV Blues Podcast Team, Army's last offer was WAYYYYYY short of matching Florida's, - offering Tarasenko, Scandella, and a first Round draft choice. IF that is true, it's clear that he was never serious about going after Tkachuck, and wasn't willing to part with ANY of Thomas, Kyrou, Parayko, or Buchnevich to get him into a Blues' uniform. Army also probably figured he wouldn't want to pay the $10.5 million AAV for 8 years Tkachuck would want as a UFA next offseason, if, somehow, we would luck out and NO NHL team would be willing to trade for him now, WITHOUT him signing a long-term contract first.
Give Army credit, getting Tkachuk and unloading Scandella in the same deal? If he’d of pulled that off :lol:

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:44 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:19 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:11 pm Last chance kid.

People forget he’s only 23 years old. He’s 9 months younger than Perunovich.
True, but he's the same age as Robert Thomas. That would be a more apt comparison.

I think he needs a real chance but it's not going to go beyond this season if he doesn't produce
My point was, this isn’t his last chance be it with the Blues or another team but hopefully he doesn’t need any more.

How many shots did Ty Rattie get who doesn’t have nearly the skill of Kostin.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:21 pm

True, but he's the same age as Robert Thomas. That would be a more apt comparison.

I think he needs a real chance but it's not going to go beyond this season if he doesn't produce
My point was, this isn’t his last chance be it with the Blues or another team but hopefully he doesn’t need any more.

Too many. Armstrong learned from his mistakes.

I hope you're right. I hope we see the skill of Kostin instead of being teased for another season.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

Ty Rattie was garbage. Big goal scorer with the Portland in WHL and the guy had literally no NHL caliber shot at all. None. Zero. Nada. So Charmin soft.

Like I said before, all Kostin has to do is want it and give 110% all the time. He does that, and he will be good. Whether it's a 4th line role or a top 9. With that size and shot, he can be extremely serviceable.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:39 pm Now that he's signed, he can go with Krug in that Chychrun / Crouse deal. Get 'er done, Army!
Glad to see The Blues keep Kostin at a great low cap hit. I still have hopes he can make it as a 3rd or 4th liner. But, as a former 1st rounder, he can be a trade filler that we won't mind losing, if we want to keep someone else more. That provides more depth that doesn't hurt the cap situation. So, a good keep for Army.

Bolduc hopes to make Blues roster after impressive showing in juniors
Forward prospect had 55 goals, 99 points in QMJHL last season

by Lou Korac / NHL.com Independent Correspondent

MARYLAND HEIGHTS, Mo. -- Zachary Bolduc displayed one common trait during a week of scrimmages and team-oriented drills every time he stepped on the ice at St. Louis Blues development camp this month.

The 19-year-old center prospect demanded the puck.

It's no wonder the Blues are excited about the potential of what the first-round pick (No. 17) in the 2021 NHL Draft can bring.

"Bolduc probably doesn't want to go back to juniors, so he probably wants to push so he can have a great camp, to get [an NHL] game, to turn it into nine and hope it turns into 10," St. Louis general manager Doug Armstrong said. "There's going to be internal competition, but there are guys that we would like to talk to bringing in on lower-level contracts to give us some flexibility and some depth and fight."

Bolduc certainly showed some skill during development camp, following his 99 points (55 goals, 44 assists) in 65 games last season with Quebec of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. He tied for second in the QMJHL in goals and tied for eighth in points.

"I had a pretty good season, I'll be honest," Bolduc said. "We had also a really good team. My linemates really helped me through that year. I don't think it's a one-man show, it's more teammates and linemates.

"I think my shooting [improved]. I think the first part of my season in junior, I was a bit more ... I was too good with my teammates. I just need to play the way I should. I'm shooting, I'm skating. In the tough areas, that's where I want to build my game. I still have a big improvement to do to achieve the National [Hockey] League, but the veterans are a real good way for me to learn."

Bolduc (6-foot, 187 pounds) said his development camp experience went beyond what he did during practices and drills.

"It was a great experience to be here, meet the pros and practice with them," he said. "But for me, the biggest part was to learn off the ice the way they prepare themselves before and after the game and practice also."

Bolduc fits the bill of recent Blues draft picks who possess speed and skill at forward, in the mold of Robert Thomas, Jordan Kyrou, Jake Neighbours and Jimmy Snuggerud, selected in the first round (No. 23) of the 2022 NHL Draft.

Bolduc had an assist in his only NHL preseason game, against the Chicago Blackhawks on Oct. 1, 2021, and St. Louis is eager to see how he improves this season.

"Now it's time to get bigger and stronger and be able to do that same kind of thing at a junior level at the pro level," St. Louis director of player personnel Tim Taylor said. "There's no expectations for him to come in [and] make the team. His play will dictate that. Our expectations for him this summer are starting to get bigger and stronger."