Re: Blues Offseason News Thread

I really,really hate to see Perron go. In many ways, he was our best offensive performer last season. I don't blame him. He deserved a better contract,but
I understand the salary limits. I wish him well,but it's going to be tough watching him against the Blues this next season. I really hoped he would retire a Blue.

Talking to Matty Ice here at work this morning. We both concluded that Matt Tkachuk is just going to sign here as an unrestricted free agent when his time comes. Doug probably already knows this and is setting up the books. ROR will probably be gone. It'll be a new core. Just hope the Blues have enough next year to still be a Cup contender.

T.C. wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:49 am
I suspect that at some point in the last year, Army probably asked DP's agent what they were looking for this summer.... he probably didn't like what their answer was, so he moved on. It's a business decision for both sides, regardless of who's feelings get hurt. Army is charged with building next year's team, last year's team didn't get it done...the Stanley Cup party is long behind. Sentimentally, you want to keep the team together...but practically, at some point you have to get younger,hungrier, faster and cheaper players into the mix. I don't think he's finished, yet.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
I suspect that at some point in the last year, Army probably asked DP's agent what they were looking for this summer.... he probably didn't like what their answer was, so he moved on. It's a business decision for both sides, regardless of who's feelings get hurt. Army is charged with building next year's team, last year's team didn't get it done...the Stanley Cup party is long behind. Sentimentally, you want to keep the team together...but practically, at some point you have to get younger,hungrier, faster and cheaper players into the mix. I don't think he's finished, yet.
If this is the team for next year, then I strongly oppose the Leddy / Perron swap. You could of had Perron for a song. Whatever, we'll see what unfolds. We still got our Cup in the bag so I'm happy :)

BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:51 am
Turk Sanderson wrote:
If this is the team for next year, then I strongly oppose the Leddy / Perron swap. You could of had Perron for a song. Whatever, we'll see what unfolds. We still got our Cup in the bag so I'm happy :)
The organ-eye-zation must feel that one or both of Neighbors or Bolduc is making the team this year. They also realize that they don't have anyone ready to fill Leddy's spot. Leddy's deal isn't terrible for what he brings... I'm more concerned with 55's sloppy play at his price.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:05 am
Turk Sanderson wrote:

The organ-eye-zation must feel that one or both of Neighbors or Bolduc is making the team this year. They also realize that they don't have anyone ready to fill Leddy's spot. Leddy's deal isn't terrible for what he brings... I'm more concerned with 55's sloppy play at his price.
Neighbours seems ready. The dream is that Kostin has his breakout season. Kids got all the talent and size you could want in a player.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:07 am

Neighbours seems ready. The dream is that Kostin has his breakout season. Kids got all the talent and size you could want in a player.
Spoken like a true Russian propaganda account.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:11 am
He's going into the same age season where we saw Kyrou breakout and a full two years younger than Barbashev's breakout campaign. There's oil in this well I promise, just keep pumping

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:07 am Neighbours seems ready. The dream is that Kostin has his breakout season. Kids got all the talent and size you could want in a player.
He's going into the same age season where we saw Kyrou breakout and a full two years younger than Barbashev's breakout campaign. There's oil in this well I promise, just keep pumping
Kostin just needs to make up his mind that he wants to be an NHL player. If he does, he'll be good at whatever his ceiling is. But he needs to grow up.

Josh Leivo is a great signing. I like it. He was good a couple years ago in Vancouver.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:11 am
Yeah it's become clear the Blues never intended to bring him back and I'm not really sure why.

With that said, you still have a pretty deep top 9

Schenn ROR Kyrou
Saad Thomas Tarasenko
Neighbours(?) Barby Buch
Not a lot of depth beyond that though. As a Blues fan I feel pretty let down today. I don't see any improvement in the roster. At best we are treading water.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:31 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

Kostin just needs to make up his mind that he wants to be an NHL player. If he does, he'll be good at whatever his ceiling is. But he needs to grow up.

Josh Leivo is a great signing. I like it. He was good a couple years ago in Vancouver.
Yeah. I think you are bang on there.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:35 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:11 am
Yeah it's become clear the Blues never intended to bring him back and I'm not really sure why.

With that said, you still have a pretty deep top 9

Schenn ROR Kyrou
Saad Thomas Tarasenko
Neighbours(?) Barby Buch
Not a lot of depth beyond that though. As a Blues fan I feel pretty let down today. I don't see any improvement in the roster. At best we are treading water.
100%. The only positive is that the Avs and Flames got worse yesterday as well. Doesn't make me feel better about it but it sure beats getting worse while they get better.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:07 amNeighbours seems ready. The dream is that Kostin has his breakout season. Kids got all the talent and size you could want in a player.
I watched Kostin play quite a bit in the last two rounds of the 2022 Calder Cup playoffs. Thru 12 games, he had 2G + 1A = 3 pts. He was a frequent member of Springfield's PP, and one of his 2 goals was on the man advantage. So maybe he was "playing down" to the AHL level of play, or maybe he was held back by the T-birds' game plans; but I'd characterize his offensive efforts & general play as "uninspiring." Fans know all.

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:58 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:07 amNeighbours seems ready. The dream is that Kostin has his breakout season. Kids got all the talent and size you could want in a player.
I watched Kostin play quite a bit in the last two rounds of the 2022 Calder Cup playoffs. Thru 12 games, he had 2G + 1A = 3 pts. He was a frequent member of Springfield's PP, and one of his 2 goals was on the man advantage. So maybe he was "playing down" to the AHL level of play, or maybe he was held back by the T-birds' game plans; but I'd characterize his offensive efforts & general play as "uninspiring." Fans know all.
The skills have always been there. The desire... Meh.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:13 am

The problem I see with Kostin is that he's never been a big point producer at any level besides the WJC. He's got lots of great tools, but hasn't put it together. I hope he does, but at this point I'll be surprised if he's ever anything more than a 30 point guy in the NHL.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:50 pm

The problem I see with Kostin is that he's never been a big point producer at any level besides the WJC. He's got lots of great tools, but hasn't put it together. I hope he does, but at this point I'll be surprised if he's ever anything more than a 30 point guy in the NHL.
Whatever his ceiling is, he’ll be a very useful player with that size and shot he has. But the question is will he get there. His passion and commitment are lacking and that’s the issue. I’m like Dread, I got my hopes up big time for this guy. But Kostin’s attitude and passion worries me. I’ll admit, it don’t look good for the guy right now, it’s put up or shut up next season for him,

BillP. wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:50 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:50 pm

Whatever his ceiling is, he’ll be a very useful player with that size and shot he has. But the question is will he get there. His passion and commitment are lacking and that’s the issue. I’m like Dread, I got my hopes up big time for this guy. But Kostin’s attitude and passion worries me. I’ll admit, it don’t look good for the guy right now, it’s put up or shut up next season for him,
Many of players have had that "come to jesus" talk with themselves when they realize this may be their last chance to make it and turn things around. Of course, many players have never figured it out too. I'll be rooting for him because it could be a game changer if he become a reliable top 9 winger.