Ovechkin guarantees Game 7 victory!

Pretty gutsy by Ovechkin to do this. Hope he can deliver like Messier did.

After the Caps game 6 loss at home....

So here came Alex Ovechkin, held without a point in four straight games, ready to zap any lingering pessimism into dust. They would win Wednesday night in Game 7 at Madison Square Garden, he declared at the start, even though the Rangers have won nine straight there when facing elimination. They would move onto the conference finals for the first time in his career, he reminded at the end. In his mind, there was no doubt.

“We’re going to come back and win the series,” he said. “We’re going to play our game, and we’re going to come back and we’re going to play Montreal or Tampa.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ca ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Ovechkin guarantees Game 7 victory!

insideout wrote:You really can't lose with the game 7 guarantee. If the Caps win, then Ovechkin comes off as a great leader who willed his team to victory. If they lose, everyone will forget about the guarantee and just move on. He would be no worse off than he would have been if he never made a guarantee.
"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."

insideout wrote:You really can't lose with the game 7 guarantee. If the Caps win, then Ovechkin comes off as a great leader who willed his team to victory. If they lose, everyone will forget about the guarantee and just move on. He would be no worse off than he would have been if he never made a guarantee.
Not true. He would lose credibility. Imagine if the Rangers lost to the Devils after Messier's famous guarantee. He would've been tarnished at least somewhat.

Also if the Caps lose it would show Ovechkin keeps choking in big games. Someone at his level has NEVER been to a conference final and his prime years are quickly running out.

SickMittsRomKnee wrote:
"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."
Love that movie...some great selling tips in there also...along with this:
"Do Only Good Everyday"

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Not true. He would lose credibility. Imagine if the Rangers lost to the Devils after Messier's famous guarantee. He would've been tarnished at least somewhat.

Also if the Caps lose it would show Ovechkin keeps choking in big games. Someone at his level has NEVER been to a conference final and his prime years are quickly running out.
I disagree. If the Devil's won that game, Messier's guarantee would have been forgotten. Make a list of all the times you remember a player in a major professional sport league guaranteeing victory and then losing. Honestly, don't cheat. Make a list and then do a Google search... I'm guessing you will find several incidents of unfulfilled guarantee that are not on your list. I

And yes, if the Caps lose, it will most certainly bring Ovechkin under scrutiny as a choker... but that would happen regardless of whether he guaranteed victory.