Re: ‘22 playoffs thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:25 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:14 am You guys are all going to lose your shit when Kadri skates around with the Cup wearing an air cast.
Hope it rips his thumb completely off.

As someone said, all of this is a bit more stomachable(word?) because the Blues got their Cup. If not, I'd be unhinged.
Here's where I lose the crowd (as usual)...I find it stomachable because I don't think he did anything wrong on the play. See you guys next year if TC doesn't deactivate my account.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:14 am You guys are all going to lose your shit when Kadri skates around with the Cup wearing an air cast.

As someone said, all of this is a bit more stomachable(word?) because the Blues got their Cup. If not, I'd be unhinged.
Well, we should have performed better against Colorado. I'm disappointed with our younger guys in particular.

The Blues let them in their heads and rolled over.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:35 am

Here's where I lose the crowd (as usual)...I find it stomachable because I don't think he did anything wrong on the play. See you guys next year if TC doesn't deactivate my account.
I'd be more worried about running into CaptSMRT if I were you after that statement.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BluesSK wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:39 am

Well, we should have performed better against Colorado. I'm disappointed with our younger guys in particular.

No doubt. Binner getting hurt didn't lose the Blues that series, it didn't help certainly, but all the forwards that were absolute no-shows in that series is what did them in. Husso didn't lose the series.

The Blues scored 2,2,3,2 goals in their 4 loses. That's not going to win you a series vs the Avs.

Also to compare.

In 4 games vs Nashville the Lanche scored 21 goals
In 4 games vs Edmonton the Lanche scored 22 goals
In 6 games vs St Louis the Lanche scored 22 goals

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:08 am

No doubt. Binner getting hurt didn't lose the Blues that series, it didn't help certainly, but all the forwards that were absolute no-shows in that series is what did them in. Husso didn't lose the series.

The Blues scored 2,2,3,2 goals in their 4 loses. That's not going to win you a series vs the Avs.

Also to compare.

The other side of the coin is that the Avs goaltending hasn't been good in the playoffs either. Kumper was worn down at first, then played injured, then out with an injury. Their backup Francouz is very much just a backup. Colorado just dominates the puck so much its hard to be on equal footing with them, goaltending aside. The Blues did that a couple times in the series but it wasn't enough. I'd say Husso cost the Blues one game (Game 4 I believe), but they lost the series because the Avs just wouldn't let the Blues have the puck.

Also to compare.

I respectfully disagree. The Avs are a better team than the Blues - that's why they won. I didn't see the Blues rolling over so much as them just getting tossed by a superior opponent. I also disagree with your statement about the effect of Binnington's injury on the series. The only way the Blues had a chance to win it was if 2019 Binnington showed up and put in a historically outstanding performance. Amazingly, that's exactly what happened - and with one play, that ended. Binnington owned them for three games and looked solid early in the fourth game. I don't know if he could have sustained it throughout the series, but it looked to me like they had a legitimate shot at taking it.

The Blues indeed scored 2,2,3 and 2 goals in the four losses, which is not enough to win vs the Avs..... unless you get a ridiculous performance from your goalie. So, no disrespect to Husso, but the loss of Binnington is EXACTLY why the series went south.

I'm usually pessimistic, but I was really impressed with Blues effort, especially considering that they lost their starting goalie and their already suspect defense was banged up. I heard Schenn was in pretty bad shape as well. They are the only team in the Western Conference that managed to win any post-season games against the Avs and certainly the only team that looked capable (albeit briefly) of taking them down.

Can't wait to see what they bring next year.

insideout wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:44 am

Also to compare.

I respectfully disagree. The Avs are a better team than the Blues - that's why they won. I didn't see the Blues rolling over so much as them just getting tossed by a superior opponent. I also disagree with your statement about the effect of Binnington's injury on the series. The only way the Blues had a chance to win it was if 2019 Binnington showed up and put in a historically outstanding performance. Amazingly, that's exactly what happened - and with one play, that ended. Binnington owned them for three games and looked solid early in the fourth game. I don't know if he could have sustained it throughout the series, but it looked to me like they had a legitimate shot at taking it.

The Blues indeed scored 2,2,3 and 2 goals in the four losses, which is not enough to win vs the Avs..... unless you get a ridiculous performance from your goalie. So, no disrespect to Husso, but the loss of Binnington is EXACTLY why the series went south.

I'm usually pessimistic, but I was really impressed with Blues effort, especially considering that they lost their starting goalie and their already suspect defense was banged up. I heard Schenn was in pretty bad shape as well. They are the only team in the Western Conference that managed to win any post-season games against the Avs and certainly the only team that looked capable (albeit briefly) of taking them down.

There's a reasonable argument to be made that they should be considered the clear number 2 team in the West in hindsight. I don't know if things will play out that way next year, but the window hasn't shut yet.

Also to compare.

The Blues shit the bed in game four... instead of making the Avs pay on the score board... they went after Kadri and the rest is history.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:37 pm

Also to compare.

The Blues shit the bed in game four... instead of making the Avs pay on the score board... they went after Kadri and the rest is history.
Or maybe they couldn't make the Avs pay on the scoreboard because the Avs are better. Colorado beat Nashville because they are the better team and not because Nashville took the wrong approach. The Avs beat Edmonton because they are the better team and not because Edmonton took the wrong approach. And they beat St. Louis because they are the better team and not because St. Louis took the wrong approach. True, they were undisciplined at times, but it's not as if the series was the Blues' to lose heading into Game 4.

insideout wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:29 pm

Or maybe they couldn't make the Avs pay on the scoreboard because the Avs are better. Colorado beat Nashville because they are the better team and not because Nashville took the wrong approach. The Avs beat Edmonton because they are the better team and not because Edmonton took the wrong approach. And they beat St. Louis because they are the better team and not because St. Louis took the wrong approach. True, they were undisciplined at times, but it's not as if the series was the Blues' to lose heading into Game 4.
They split in Colorado... then early in game three... they take out the hottest player on the ice. Husso had lost his confidence and comes in and gets beat in game three... and never really regains his footing. Colorado won the series, so they are the better team... saying they are light years better than the Blues is like just your opinion, man...

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:38 pm

They split in Colorado... then early in game three... they take out the hottest player on the ice. Husso had lost his confidence and comes in and gets beat in game three... and never really regains his footing. Colorado won the series, so they are the better team... saying they are light years better than the Blues is like just your opinion, man...
Well, Liam and me..... we're gonna fuck you up...... Also, I never said they were light years better... Just better. Agree that Husso was a mess in Games 3 and 4, but he was okay in games 5 and 6. Unfortunately, to overcome Colorado, we would have had to have been sensational.

insideout wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:59 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:38 pm

Well, Liam and me..... we're gonna fuck you up...... Also, I never said they were light years better... Just better. Agree that Husso was a mess in Games 3 and 4, but he was okay in games 5 and 6. Unfortunately, to overcome Colorado, we would have had to have been sensational.
Husso was turrible... he gave up the cheese...

Sorry guys you’re all wrong. Blues win that series against Colorado if Binner plays series.

Let’s see, Avs get 56 shots in Game 1 and still had to go to OT to decide game. In Game 2 Blues pretty much are in control and win 4-1. In Game 3, Blues are decidedly outplaying Colorado in 1st period with a 1-0 lead and then the Binnington injury. Go back and watch the footage. Binner was dominant and the Blues were establishing control. There’s no doubt in my mind the Blues were headed to win this series.

Have you all forgotten the power of a great goalie? How a goalie can change the momentum of games/series and demoralize the opposition and uplift the team! The Blues would of pumped in more goals in this series with Binner taking over.

If you all think the Blues win in 19, let alone make the Finals or look as good with another goalie, your sadly mistaken.

Fuck Colorado. I hope they get their ass kicked in the Finals.

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:42 am Sorry guys you’re all wrong. Blues win that series against Colorado if Binner plays series.

Let’s see, Avs get 56 shots in Game 1 and still had to go to OT to decide game. In Game 2 Blues pretty much are in control and win 4-1. In Game 3, Blues are decidedly outplaying Colorado in 1st period with a 1-0 lead and then the Binnington injury. Go back and watch the footage. Binner was dominant and the Blues were establishing control. There’s no doubt in my mind the Blues were headed to win this series.

Have you all forgotten the power of a great goalie? How a goalie can change the momentum of games/series and demoralize the opposition and uplift the team! The Blues would of pumped in more goals in this series with Binner taking over.

If you all think the Blues win in 19, let alone make the Finals or look as good with another goalie, your sadly mistaken.

I am with you... Parayko shoots through a stick for a goal... Binnington was on fire... then Kadri tackles him... shell shocked Husso goes in the game and lets Colorado right back into the series... next game... The Blues shit the bed... and momentum has shifted. The Blues get right back into the series with a substandard goalie... and are headed to the third OT... Husso lets in some cheese and here we are...

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:42 am Sorry guys you’re all wrong. Blues win that series against Colorado if Binner plays series.

I don't think anyone has ever said they win in 2019 without Binnington. The 2019 team was also loads better than this one as was and dominated play at 5 on 5 about a week after Berube took over. The point has been that the Avs largely dominated play in the series, and that relying on a goalie to keep up a .950 save percentage for an entire series while also counting on the opponent to continue to have subpar goaltending is not a plan so much as a wish. Maybe they win with a healthy Binnington, maybe he hits one of his cold streaks again. He got hurt, they lost. That's hockey, baby.

Having said all that I'll be rooting for Tampa/NYR in the Final for probably all the same reasons you are.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:03 am

I am with you... Parayko shoots through a stick for a goal... Binnington was on fire... then Kadri tackles him... shell shocked Husso goes in the game and lets Colorado right back into the series... next game... The Blues shit the bed... and momentum has shifted. The Blues get right back into the series with a substandard goalie... and are headed to the third OT... Husso lets in some cheese and here we are...
We will never know what would have happened. We can debate, theorize, guess, but there's nothing definitive to be made. The whole space time continuum was thrown off with that hit. The only thing we can say is the Blues easily were the 2nd best team in the West at worse.

btw, here's Binner's comments

“It’s a physical sport and it’s playoff time and he’s going to go to the net hard. It’s how it goes. I don’t think he intentionally was trying to do what he did to me, or for me to get injured, I should say. But I think he knows how to play hard and how to go to the net and that’s what happens in this sport. For me, it is what is and I just have to kind of deal with it.”

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:42 am
I’m not sure anyone has made this claim??
That's what's being insinuated by judging the Blues performance in this series. It is what it is, sure. But to not recognize how different this series would of been with Binner playing at a high level is all wrong. By saying the Blues would of lost with him or that they're on ice performance would of been the same is akin to ignoring his impact in 19.

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:17 am
That's what's being insinuated by judging the Blues performance in this series. It is what it is, sure. But to not recognize how different this series would of been with Binner playing at a high level is all wrong. By saying the Blues would of lost with him or that they're on ice performance would of been the same is akin to ignoring his impact in 19.
That's quite a leap. I won't speak for everyone, but the main point some have been trying to make is that the Avs clearly outplayed the Blues the bulk of the series. Without a hot Binnington, they were sunk, but the talent gap in front of him still would have been there. The Blues played their best game overall in Game 2, then after that pretty much only carried 5v5 play when they were down multiple goals and the Avs started playing more defensively.

But fine, I'll say it. If in 2019, Binnington were replaced by Jason Bacashihua, they sweep the first 3 rounds and Boston doesn't even show up for the Final.

Dave's a mess wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: I’m not sure anyone has made this claim??
That's quite a leap. I won't speak for everyone, but the main point some have been trying to make is that the Avs clearly outplayed the Blues the bulk of the series. Without a hot Binnington, they were sunk, but the talent gap in front of him still would have been there. The Blues played their best game overall in Game 2, then after that pretty much only carried 5v5 play when they were down multiple goals and the Avs started playing more defensively.

But fine, I'll say it. If in 2019, Binnington were replaced by Jason Bacashihua, they sweep the first 3 rounds and Boston doesn't even show up for the Final.
Blues could of easily got blown out in Boston in Game 7. They were dog shit the first 15 minutes of that first period. There were at least 3 instances were they played with the puck too long like idiots and couldn't even get it past their blue line. But Binnington was outstanding in that first period. Eventually the Blues game came around and they ended up dominating the game and winning the Cup. But if Binner doesn't show up, or if that's a lesser goalie, that game is completely different and the Blues look like a team that didn't show up and lays an egg in Game 7. I can't give a better example. The team in 19 looked great because he gave them an opportunity to be great. Just kills me how people can't see this. Great goaltending always gives teams a chance to be great. And that's what happened in 19 and the Blues were denied that opportunity in 22.

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:05 pm
Dave's a mess wrote:

Blues could of easily got blown out in Boston in Game 7. They were dog shit the first 15 minutes of that first period. There were at least 3 instances were they played with the puck too long like idiots and couldn't even get it past their blue line. But Binnington was outstanding in that first period. Eventually the Blues game came around and they ended up dominating the game and winning the Cup. But if Binner doesn't show up, or if that's a lesser goalie, that game is completely different and the Blues look like a team that didn't show up and lays an egg in Game 7. I can't give a better example. The team in 19 looked great because he gave them an opportunity to be great. Just kills me how people can't see this. Great goaltending always gives teams a chance to be great. And that's what happened in 19 and the Blues were denied that opportunity in 22.
Bill I think you're missing the sarcasm about 2019. Of course they don't win without him in 2019. Literally no one has ever claimed that. We all saw Jake Allen meltdown and actively move out of the way of pucks. They also had a much better team in front of him back then, and took off at 5 on 5 once Yeo was fired. Binnington getting hurt was obviously a massive influence on the series, the point is the rest of the 2019 comparison with 2022 is much different. The team in 2019 was miles better with an outstanding D corp. They were on at least level footing roster wise with any team in the playoffs in 2019. In 2022 that was not the case. Is it possible Binnington could have stolen 2 more games? Sure, but the point is he would have had to steal them because it was mismatch everywhere else, which couldn't be more different than 2019.

I think the Blues would have lost with him because I don't think this team was nearly as good as the '19 season. Hell that team had Zach Sanford, you can't compare the two teams. I am not seeing the correlation here.