Re: ‘22 playoffs thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:34 am
BillP. wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:01 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:42 pm high tension in Toronto
Did you hear Olczyk? Announcer goes big changes coming in off season for Toronto and Olczyk goes and that starts in 5 minutes - ha.
It was really unlucky of the Leafs because they ran into, imo, the only team that could stop them and they happened to do it in round 1.
It's happened about 3 times in 5 years and they lose every time. The other 2 they lost to teams that were way worse. They don't need to blow it up but I'd consider a significant change or two.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

stlblues1226 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:36 pm Looks like the NHL wants the Pens and Cindy to advance. That puck was clearly above the crossbar from what I could see. But at least the Rangers just went back to work and have tied the game.
Yes, the NHL would love for the largest market in North America to be eliminated in the first round.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:44 pm
stlblues1226 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:36 pm Looks like the NHL wants the Pens and Cindy to advance. That puck was clearly above the crossbar from what I could see. But at least the Rangers just went back to work and have tied the game.
Yes, the NHL would love for the largest market in North America to be eliminated in the first round.
Yes, the NHL would. ESPN, TNT, and TBS, on the other hand, not so much. 8-) (sarcasm font in full effect)

EDIT: Honestly, I know NY is the biggest TV market, but I don't know how the ratings relate to the TV market size.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Meaning, I know St. Louis is 21st or 22nd TV market in the nation, but how do they rank as far as TV ratings for hockey? I bet they're not 21st or 22nd. I'd imagine they're a bit better than that, but I could be completely wrong. Just me speculating.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

stlblues1226 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:50 pm Meaning, I know St. Louis is 21st or 22nd TV market in the nation, but how do they rank as far as TV ratings for hockey? I bet they're not 21st or 22nd. I'd imagine they're a bit better than that, but I could be completely wrong. Just me speculating.
I think they are like around eighth? Or have been Pretty good hockey market actually.

BillP. wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:18 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:35 am As much fun as an Oilers-Flames series would be, I will be rooting for Dallas tonight.
Sometimes I think the Central team is better off trying to go thru the Pacific. The Stars could literally “check” their way thru to the Conference Finals. I think there’s a good chance we might see a Gm 7 OT tonight. Would love to see it. Hope Crosby can make it back tonight.
Damn, got 2 OT Game 7’s. What a treat.

stlblues1226 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:50 pm Meaning, I know St. Louis is 21st or 22nd TV market in the nation, but how do they rank as far as TV ratings for hockey? I bet they're not 21st or 22nd. I'd imagine they're a bit better than that, but I could be completely wrong. Just me speculating.
Big local markets drive the ratings. St. Louis outperforms its market size in terms of viewership for sure, but if the NHL were ever to fix anything for ratings, you'd see some combination of Rangers, Leafs, Habs, Bruins etc in the Final every year.

I guess even if it was rigged the Leafs would find a way to not make it out of the first round anyway :lol:

The other game tonight is a super fun one, the Battle of Florida. Lightning with the chance to get closer to a three peat by knocking little brother back down a peg. Stylistically this could be the most exciting second round series to watch.

BluesSK wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 pm Imagine no more a fanbase getting this excited about a fourth line plug coming off the IR.

The comments. 🤦‍♂️
The Blais worship out of NYR fans is just bizarre. I liked him when he was here and everything, but for a guy that can't stay healthy and has never scored 10 goals in a season, I just don't get it. He has 0 goals and 4 assists with the Rangers in 14 games. Many NYR fans are happy they have him instead of Buchnevich's 76 points in 73 games. It's just wild to see.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:41 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 pm Imagine no more a fanbase getting this excited about a fourth line plug coming off the IR.

The comments. 🤦‍♂️
The Blais worship out of NYR fans is just bizarre. I liked him when he was here and everything, but for a guy that can't stay healthy and has never scored 10 goals in a season, I just don't get it. He has 0 goals and 4 assists with the Rangers in 14 games. Many NYR fans are happy they have him instead of Buchnevich's 76 points in 73 games. It's just wild to see.
Talking with a Rangers fan is like;

So Krieder is having a great year!
Rangers Fan: yeah it's ok

How about Adam Fox? Norris trophy!
Rangers Fan: yeah not bad.

What about that Shesterkin guy? Incredible season!
Rangers Fan: yep, pretty decent.

So I hear Sammy Blais is coming back from his injury?
Rangers Fan: OMG! 😱 Sammy is back!!! Woohoo! Can't wait!