Re: 2021 St. Louis Blues Thread

barnburner wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:41 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:17 pm Thought I'd check in on how Kostin has been doing in the minors. He's got 6 points in 17 games. Probably not what the front office was hoping to see. I wonder if he's played his last game in a Blue Note.
I don't know his contact status, but he could get another shot in training camp, I suppose.
He's an RFA. I hope they keep him around. The raw talent is there and he's nasty. It's the compete level and desire he needs to work on.

Curious what your guys thoughts are on the playoff format versus the 1-8 that it use to be? Pretty wild(no pun intended) that the Blues and Wild are both likely to finish with over 110 points and one will finish third in their division and their reward is each other.

Under the old format, the Blues would currently be 4th and facing Edmonton while the Wild would be getting the Kings.

I like the idea that it tries to build rivals within the division but do you really need to be in the same division to be rivals? I think back to when the Blues and Canucks would meet, now that was a heated rivalry and they weren't division opponents.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:59 am Curious what your guys thoughts are on the playoff format versus the 1-8 that it use to be? Pretty wild(no pun intended) that the Blues and Wild are both likely to finish with over 110 points and one will finish third in their division and their reward is each other.

Under the old format, the Blues would currently be 4th and facing Edmonton while the Wild would be getting the Kings.

I like the idea that it tries to build rivals within the division but do you really need to be in the same division to be rivals? I think back to when the Blues and Canucks would meet, now that was a heated rivalry and they weren't division opponents.
Yeah I'm pretty neutral on it. I think it does foster rivalries, but I'll hear the argument that it produces stale matchups. I'm fine with it either way. I'm not a fan of the NBA model with the play in round that ESPN pitched this week.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:59 am Curious what your guys thoughts are on the playoff format versus the 1-8 that it use to be? Pretty wild(no pun intended) that the Blues and Wild are both likely to finish with over 110 points and one will finish third in their division and their reward is each other.

I'm ok with it the way it is.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:37 am Take on all challengers. just like in '19.... doesn't matter who they are. The Blues are defending the last REAL LSC.... if someone wants to be the man, then they've got to beat the man -WOOOO!
Well yeah, you kind of have to. I just think there should be some sort of benefit to having a great regular season.

I don't hate the setup and I get why it's in place, just making conversations and was curious of opinions
Just a Russian propaganda account

Being an old bastard, I much prefer the old system. Imo, the two top teams should not be playing each other in the first round.

barnburner wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:38 pm

Being an old bastard, I much prefer the old system. Imo, the two top teams should not be playing each other in the first round.
I agree... end point supports!!!

I like the divisional playoffs again. Reminds me of when I started watching the Blues when they were in the Campbell Conference and the Chuck Norris Division.

barnburner wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:38 pm

I agree with this view of things. The Blues have an excellent record this season, and deserve to have gained some advantage from it.

I like the divisional format. I'd like to see them just forego the WC and go with the top 4 teams in each division. Win your division. No excuses. That should be the goal. Rivalries rock. If Minnesota was the North Stars, it would be perfect - ha

The inflated point difference isn't that big a deal. Using the Hitch theory, even a 20 point difference is what, about 3 points per month difference between teams? Not really that big a deal. All these teams are good and can beat anybody.

I'd rather play Minnesota instead of Edmonton anyway. We match up good with the Wild. Edmonton seems like they're quietly playing well. Could be a sleeper here. I could see them winning that 1st rd whoever they play.

Let's go a step further and suggest a 20 team playoff. Have a play in tournament like the NBA does now. Which isn't all that bad. The loser of the 7/8 seeds gets another shot to get in when they play the winner of the 9/10 seeds. Might be something the NHL needs to do. It's more revenue for sure.

BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:18 pm Let's go a step further and suggest a 20 team playoff. Have a play in tournament like the NBA does now. Which isn't all that bad. The loser of the 7/8 seeds gets another shot to get in when they play the winner of the 9/10 seeds. Might be something the NHL needs to do. It's more revenue for sure.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate it.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:18 pm Let's go a step further and suggest a 20 team playoff. Have a play in tournament like the NBA does now. Which isn't all that bad. The loser of the 7/8 seeds gets another shot to get in when they play the winner of the 9/10 seeds. Might be something the NHL needs to do. It's more revenue for sure.

T.C. wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:45 am
Good Ol' BillP is still the sharpest puck in the bag. But let's make that edge even a bit finer: NHL expands to 68 teams, and institutes an annual "Lord Stanley's May Madness" tournament. Gary Bettman will pick the regional cities hosting the play-in & early round games, based on his popularity ratings in each NHL regional market. Lots of zeros to cull from the herd.

JMC-STL wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:53 am Is T.C. gonna DQ DPW from creating 2nd round GDTs, for his conflict-of-interest with COL? I vote for Turk to take his spot, to get him off his old lazy ass & finally contribute something to this community.
Wouldn't be bad if Robb_K did it either to insure he is posting in the correct thread 😂
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

JMC-STL wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:53 am Is T.C. gonna DQ DPW from creating 2nd round GDTs, for his conflict-of-interest with COL? I vote for Turk to take his spot, to get him off his old lazy ass & finally contribute something to this community.
I used to do them before I was unceremoniously dumped for the Pirate… I’ve got enough to do trying to get you sinning bastards into heaven.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:16 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:53 amIs T.C. gonna DQ DPW from creating 2nd round GDTs, for his conflict-of-interest with COL? I vote for Turk to take his spot, to get him off his old lazy ass & finally contribute something to this community.
Wouldn't be bad if Robb_K did it either to insure he is posting in the correct thread 😂
That ain't no guarantee.