Re: ‘22 playoffs thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:02 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:40 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:15 am

I'm no rules expert, but it seems to me like you shouldn't be able to push the goalie clear out of his crease so your teammate can tap one in.
It's 50/50 to me. I don't think he wipes the goalie out as much without the help of the d-man.
To me it's a no brainer. D is there and is harassing him, sure, but he goes into the paint and makes contact on his own. At that point it doesn't matter if D pushes you. Only matters if D is the reason you wind up in the paint making contact in the first place. That's my understanding of it anyway.
Refs love the overtime drama. Next time it happens they will allow it.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:15 am

I'm no rules expert, but it seems to me like you shouldn't be able to push the goalie clear out of his crease so your teammate can tap one in.
It's 50/50 to me. I don't think he wipes the goalie out as much without the help of the d-man.
To me it's a no brainer. D is there and is harassing him, sure, but he goes into the paint and makes contact on his own. At that point it doesn't matter if D pushes you. Only matters if D is the reason you wind up in the paint making contact in the first place. That's my understanding of it anyway.
He’s well out of the paint when the D plants his face into his numbers and forces him into the G. In the process, everybody goes down, and it’s the D who actually takes the G out of his crease. Disallowing the goal is like saying that if the O has you beat, just push him into your G, and nothing bad can happen.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:20 am

He’s well out of the paint when the D plants his face into his numbers and forces him into the G. In the process, everybody goes down, and it’s the D who actually takes the G out of his crease. Disallowing the goal is like saying that if the O has you beat, just push him into your G, and nothing bad can happen.
Sure there's contact outside the paint, but he's got his balance perfectly the entire play until he runs into the goalie.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:44 am

Sure there's contact outside the paint, but he's got his balance perfectly the entire play until he runs into the goalie.
The D forced him into the G … he didn’t get there on his own.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:47 am

I really don't see it that way. At full speed (to me) it looks like this plays out exactly the same way even if the D wasn't there at all.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:14 pm

I really don't see it that way. At full speed (to me) it looks like this plays out exactly the same way even if the D wasn't there at all.
rgd1.jpg rgd1.jpg Viewed 3057 times 34.32 KiB

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:19 pm

rgd1.jpg
Right, that's why I said there's contact outside the paint. He doesn't lose his balance or veer off course until he hits the goalie. It's fine if you don't agree.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:38 pm

rgd1.jpg
Right, that's why I said there's contact outside the paint. He doesn't lose his balance or veer off course until he hits the goalie. It's fine if you don't agree.
lf you look at the direction his skates are turned, he has no intention to run the G...he was bulldozed into the G..... the precedent is set now, if you're a D and get beat, just push the O into your G and you've saved a goal.

BluesSK wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:19 am
BillP. wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:13 am Anybody see that graphic on Gaudreau? He’s first in the NHL in even strength points per 60 at 3.58 and Connor McDavid is 30th at 2.61. Damn.
Don’t know what’s more surprising, Gaudreau number 1 or McDavid at 30.
What's your source for this? The one I found is different.

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=even ... +2021-2022

They posted the names and numbers during the Flames/Stars game. They had Huberdeau listed too, he was ranked 12th. Maybe their stats guy is Chelios and that’s why it’s all fucked up - ha

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:59 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:38 pm
rgd1.jpg
lf you look at the direction his skates are turned, he has no intention to run the G...he was bulldozed into the G..... the precedent is set now, if you're a D and get beat, just push the O into your G and you've saved a goal.
I disagree with anyone who says this one's obvious, regardless of which side you take. At that speed it doesn't take much to change someone's direction. That's why sometimes you see punters knock punt returners out of bounds. And I can't image the physics switch to the moving object's favor when the moving object is on skates. On the other hand, who's to say he wouldn't have made contact with the goalie anyway? Extremely hard to tell what effect the defenseman has on the puck carrier's motion. Very though call to make.

BillP. wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:29 am Man, Ingram played awesome. Really thought Nashville was going to pull it off. Fuck, MacKinnon ain’t so much the problem, it’s Fuckn Makar that’s impossible to contain.
Easily the best player in the 2017 Entry draft. We may have gotten the second best one though, which is pretty cool from what our draft position was.

BillP. wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:29 am Man, Ingram played awesome. Really thought Nashville was going to pull it off. Fuck, MacKinnon ain’t so much the problem, it’s Fuckn Makar that’s impossible to contain.
After he gave up the early goal to MacKinnon, I assumed the Avs would roll. They pretty much dominated, but Ingram nearly stole it. Makar's goal came on his 22nd shot attempt on the night. 22!!!

Not that they really had a shot anyway, but what a backbreaker loss for the Preds.

BluesSK wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:55 am
Easily the best player in the 2017 Entry draft. We may have gotten the second best one though, which is pretty cool from what our draft position was.
That was the draft I studied up on the most since I got to go to it. When the Blues pick came around at 20 I had a handful of guys I was hoping for, and a handful I was really worried they'd take that I didn't like. Thomas was actually at the top of my wishlist of remaining players, so I felt pretty good about it. I don't recall if Jason Robertson was on my wishlist, but since we're using hindsight I'll say he was the other obvious pick, haha. Would've been cool if we grabbed him at 31 instead of Kostin.