Rebuild?

It seems the general consensus is to make a couple minor tweaks to this roster, but I just don't know. We've been down that road before where we were good enough to make the playoffs 25 years in a row I think it was, but never made it to the Finals. I'm afraid we're heading down that same path by implementing minor tweaks to this roster. I'm ready to blow it up and go full rebuild, even if it means missing the playoffs the next couple seasons. This teams' belief system is severely damaged. I don't think you can just trade away a couple of players from the existing leadership core and appoint new captains, it's got to go deeper than that. I think I would go younger and cheaper and let the new core earn their way into newly-established leadership roles. New coach, new system, new team identity, the whole ball of wax. Start over and get it right this time.

Re: Rebuild?

Well the thing is that those minor tweaks now involve the core guys as opposed to tweaking the supporting cast. This team has been built around Backes, Steen, Oshie, Berglund at forward for six years pretty much. We do need a new system. I like Hitchcock the man, but we are about to be too young and skilled for his system to work. When we were forced to rely on Oshie and Backes type guys to lead the way, we had to play defense first like Hitch's system is set up. We simply didn't have the skill. But with our prospects coming up and young guys already on the roster, plus potentially adding a player if a current core member is moved, and we won't have tor ely on the 'Boy band' for our primary scoring.

Think about the team in two years from now- shift that core to guys like Tarsasenko- our 23 year old phenomenon who's about to be among the elite of the elite, Schwartz- a future consistent 30 goal guy, Fabbri- A highly skilled forward who has at times thrived in playoff situations and can be a top six player, Barbashev who also has top six potential, Petro- A young man who can be a cornerstone defenseman and who is still very young and had the best playoffs of his young career this year, Stastny- a playmaking center who will be better outside of Hitchcock's system and not being put into spots and with players that simply do not fit him,and Allen/Binnington who both have looked very promising at times. The rebuild is indeed more of a regroup, and it's happening from within already. Now think about if we can add players by moving say Oshie and Berglund and maybe a prospect like Rattie. Then toss in some of the other promising guys we have at D and at forward, and there you go.

What this really accomplishes is being able to make the remaining pieces of our core (Steen, Backes) support pieces in favor of guys who are really meant to be star players. Alexander Steen and David Backes are phenomenal 2nd and 3rd line players; that's Stanley Cup caliber depth. There are NOT 1st line forwards. I've thought for years that if we could find a way to turn our so called Boy Band's lead singers into back-up singers so to speak, we would be golden. We now seem to have the pieces to make that happen.

So rebuild? No. Regroup? Yes. But as far as players go, we won't have to make as many changes as you may think.

This is why I think Hitch needs to go and not just some of the core. Once we make the player moves we need to make, we will have a team built more around speed and skill and less around grinding and checking. Hitch has proven over the last two years that while he says he is willing to listen to other ways to play, his default setting is the grinding defensive play that leads to 2-1 games. As much as I think the biggest problem with our recent playoff failures is on the players and their lack of confidence and killer instinct, I don't want the coach to be holding the rebuilt team back from doing what they are best at because he thinks there is only one right way to win hockey games.

MissouriMook wrote:This is why I think Hitch needs to go and not just some of the core. Once we make the player moves we need to make, we will have a team built more around speed and skill and less around grinding and checking. Hitch has proven over the last two years that while he says he is willing to listen to other ways to play, his default setting is the grinding defensive play that leads to 2-1 games. As much as I think the biggest problem with our recent playoff failures is on the players and their lack of confidence and killer instinct, I don't want the coach to be holding the rebuilt team back from doing what they are best at because he thinks there is only one right way to win hockey games.
Some of these guys are getting too old to play Hitch's style for an entire season, and have anything left for the playoffs.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
MissouriMook wrote:This is why I think Hitch needs to go and not just some of the core. Once we make the player moves we need to make, we will have a team built more around speed and skill and less around grinding and checking. Hitch has proven over the last two years that while he says he is willing to listen to other ways to play, his default setting is the grinding defensive play that leads to 2-1 games. As much as I think the biggest problem with our recent playoff failures is on the players and their lack of confidence and killer instinct, I don't want the coach to be holding the rebuilt team back from doing what they are best at because he thinks there is only one right way to win hockey games.
Some of these guys are getting too old to play Hitch's style for an entire season, and have anything left for the playoffs.
after reflecting for a week or so, i agree with both of you. or maybe his message falls on deaf ears. either way, start over - fresh players, fresh eyes, fresh coach.

Don't need a rebuild as in trading for prospects or draft picks. The Blues aren't that far off, imo.

The guy I'd really like to move now is Oshie. I've been a big supporter, and I think he is a really good regular season player. He doesn't show up in the playoffs however. It would definitely shake up the team to trade Oshie, and he still has good value across the league.

CaptSMRT wrote:Not so fast
I choose to read this as Armstrong saying that no matter how much he wants to get rid of 'the core' the salary cap will be the biggest problem in doing that. We just have to find a team that needs some help reaching the cap floor. Honestly, I'm fine if we can stock up on a bunch of draft picks if it means no more Oshie, Backes and Berglund. Honestly, of the three, I'd be ok if Berglund stayed. I'm hearing more and more that makes me think dumping Oshie and Backes could be all the Blues need to do to start the turn around.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

The Blues are like a kid with head lice. You treat the shit and it keeps coming back and after so long you're tempted to shave the kid bald.

Seems to be a consensus that the nuclear option is not in order, but the real question is this: Can they get to where they need to be without taking any steps back?

stlblues1226 wrote:
I choose to read this as Armstrong saying that no matter how much he wants to get rid of 'the core' the salary cap will be the biggest problem in doing that. We just have to find a team that needs some help reaching the cap floor. Honestly, I'm fine if we can stock up on a bunch of draft picks if it means no more Oshie, Backes and Berglund. Honestly, of the three, I'd be ok if Berglund stayed. I'm hearing more and more that makes me think dumping Oshie and Backes could be all the Blues need to do to start the turn around.
yeah that TT article was just a rehash of Army's press conference last week, with a 'new spin' on it.

I'm honestly ready for DA to go as well. Been a fan, but I've started to wonder this last year if he is a better negotiator than talent evaluator.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
stlblues1226 wrote:
yeah that TT article was just a rehash of Army's press conference last week, with a 'new spin' on it.

I'm honestly ready for DA to go as well. Been a fan, but I've started to wonder this last year if he is a better negotiator than talent evaluator.
I'm not concerned with what Army says. He certainly isn't going to relinquish trade leverage by saying, "We have to make changes, not matter what."

“Now, we’re getting into, are the right decisions being made on the type of players we need? That is something I have to evaluate.” - Doug Armstrong

I think the last sentence of this article is telling. I've felt from the beginning that Armstrong's relationship with Hitch is that Army was acquiring the type of players Hitch wanted for his system rather than building the team based on his own blueprint and asking the coach to lead them. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I see this as a fundamental shift in his philosophy toward creating his own identity for the team. If this is true, then I really hope Hitch is gone (more than I did before) because one thing Hitch is terrible at is adapting his system to the strengths of his roster. His M.O. everywhere he has been is to move out guys that don't fit his system and replace them with guys that do. Sometimes that means acquiring "an inferior player" which Armstrong has said he will not do.

Impatience it seems is our currency every year around this time because we've either missed the playoffs or exited early, but this year more than any other I am anxious for moves to be made and faces to be changed. The draft can't come soon enough for me - 51 days and counting. By the end of June (or early July, though I don't see us as being big UFA players) we should have a better idea of what this team will look like next year and who will be leading it. Let's Go Blues!

I'm sorry, but as a fan the salary cap is a shitty excuse not to make necessary changes. No one on this roster other than Paul Stastny has a contract that can't be moved to at least a few teams, and while very few are satisfied with Stastny's play, very few want to see him gone so soon.

Do your fucking job, Army.

MissouriMook wrote:“Now, we’re getting into, are the right decisions being made on the type of players we need? That is something I have to evaluate.” - Doug Armstrong

I think the last sentence of this article is telling. I've felt from the beginning that Armstrong's relationship with Hitch is that Army was acquiring the type of players Hitch wanted for his system rather than building the team based on his own blueprint and asking the coach to lead them. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I see this as a fundamental shift in his philosophy toward creating his own identity for the team. If this is true, then I really hope Hitch is gone (more than I did before) because one thing Hitch is terrible at is adapting his system to the strengths of his roster. His M.O. everywhere he has been is to move out guys that don't fit his system and replace them with guys that do. Sometimes that means acquiring "an inferior player" which Armstrong has said he will not do.

Impatience it seems is our currency every year around this time because we've either missed the playoffs or exited early, but this year more than any other I am anxious for moves to be made and faces to be changed. The draft can't come soon enough for me - 51 days and counting. By the end of June (or early July, though I don't see us as being big UFA players) we should have a better idea of what this team will look like next year and who will be leading it. Let's Go Blues!
Army said something along the lines of not wanting to make changes for the sake of making changes. That's a canned statement that we've all heard plenty of times over the years, so I don't know how much thought went into it. But I'll say this... Right now, the Blues DO need "change for the sake of change."

FuhrFan31 wrote:
I'm sorry, but as a fan the salary cap is a shitty excuse not to make necessary changes. No one on this roster other than Paul Stastny has a contract that can't be moved to at least a few teams, and while very few are satisfied with Stastny's play, very few want to see him gone so soon.

Do your fucking job, Army.
No kidding. I'm getting pretty sick of Armstrong's BS. I'm out of patience and I sure hope the ownership of the Blues are too.

Change is coming. I don't think Army is going to sit on his hands.

Will they be big and exciting? Prolly no. Think Polak for Gunnarson.

I would trade Petro and Oshie for Eichel any day of the week. But then Petro would win a Norris in Buffalo In a couple years.

If anything we may get into the late first round for 74 or 21. Just to free up some cap space And open a spot for Fabbri.