Re: News and Games around the NHL

Yeah, the whole league is vaxxed, asymptomatic players I don't have a problem with them playing. At this point if you're not vaxxed and you catch it that's on you. We've had a year to get shots. I just had covid right after xmas and with the booster, I barely had a sniffle for a few days. Contrast with 2020 when I caught it pre-vax and felt like I was going to check out for a few days.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:15 am Things continue to go well in Edmonton.
Good on Leon. Reporter asked a boring question with no direct non cliche answer and then HE got pissy because Leon didn’t give him some great quote he felt entitled to. Did he want him to throw teammates under the bus? Reporters hide behind this guise of self importance calling themselves the link between the team and the fans but most fans simply watch the games and discuss the team with friends and on social media. Speaking for myself, I don’t care about player quotes or interviews unless they are funny interviews and stories. Not, “hey what’s wrong with the team”…I can figure that out my own by blaming Scandella for everything.

HOF reporter or not, that was amateur hour.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:43 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:15 am Things continue to go well in Edmonton.
Good on Leon. Reporter asked a boring question with no direct non cliche answer and then HE got pissy because Leon didn’t give him some great quote he felt entitled to. Did he want him to throw teammates under the bus? Reporters hide behind this guise of self importance calling themselves the link between the team and the fans but most fans simply watch the games and discuss the team with friends and on social media. Speaking for myself, I don’t care about player quotes or interviews unless they are funny interviews and stories. Not, “hey what’s wrong with the team”…I can figure that out my own by blaming Scandella for everything.

100% agree. He either wanted teammates thrown under the bus, or the same cliches players generally give these questions just so he could fill out his article about how the REAL problem is that the Oilers don't want it enough. What's wrong with the Oilers is that both goalies, 4-5 defensemen and arould 6 forwards absolutely stink. Matheson might be a nice guy for all I know, but he looks like a child here.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:55 am

100% agree. He either wanted teammates thrown under the bus, or the same cliches players generally give these questions just so he could fill out his article about how the REAL problem is that the Oilers don't want it enough. What's wrong with the Oilers is that both goalies, 4-5 defensemen and arould 6 forwards absolutely stink. Matheson might be a nice guy for all I know, but he looks like a child here.
Don't be a dick to a pro at anything and expect to get respect in return....fuck Jim whoever

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:04 am

Don't be a dick to a pro at anything and expect to get respect in return....fuck Jim whoever
Oilers lost 6-0 last night despite outshooting Florida 40-28. Draisaitl and McDavid deserve the Lady Byng for not throwing their goalies and GM under the bus everytime there's a microphone in front of them.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:55 am

Oilers lost 6-0 last night despite outshooting Florida 40-28. Draisaitl and McDavid deserve the Lady Byng for not throwing their goalies and GM under the bus everytime there's a microphone in front of them.
Don't shoot the messenger but some Oiler fans are not too happy with the play of their stars. Hearing words like lack or commitment, offense only, stat padding. As unthinkable as it seems, one of them may be moved.

They need a goaltender bad. Their salary cap is a mess because of the salaries of Draisaitl and McDavid, and the defense is awful. Tippett is going to be gone soon. He needs to grow his 'stache back to get some mojo going if it's not already too late.

The problem with the cap is they haven't developed any homegrown prospects beyond first rounders and one may argue they've even failed at that. So most of the remaining money is spent on washed up free agents to fill up the roster. (James Neal is still on the books) Pretty ugly situation.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:19 am

Don't shoot the messenger but some Oiler fans are not too happy with the play of their stars. Hearing words like lack or commitment, offense only, stat padding. As unthinkable as it seems, one of them may be moved.

They need a goaltender bad. Their salary cap is a mess because of the salaries of Draisaitl and McDavid, and the defense is awful. Tippett is going to be gone soon. He needs to grow his 'stache back to get some mojo going if it's not already too late.

The problem with the cap is they haven't developed any homegrown prospects beyond first rounders and one may argue they've even failed at that. So most of the remaining money is spent on washed up free agents to fill up the roster. (James Neal is still on the books) Pretty ugly situation.
Oh I know there are fans pissed at those guys. They could be better defensively, but you don't use a Ferrari to haul freight. They finally had some money to spend last summer, but they spent it poorly. They spent over $11M on Hyman and Keith, while continuing to count on Mike Smith (who was very good last year but is 83 years old and always hurt) and Koskinen, who has always sucked.

Hyman has been fine, but that money could've probably been spent elsewhere. Keith was a wild acquisition, as he's just not good anymore, and hasn't been in years. The top-heavy cap model can work (see Tampa and Pittsburgh), but you have to spend wisely at the middle and bottom (see Tampa and Pittsburgh again). Edmonton probably only has a few "bad" contracts, but are just getting 0 from their super cheap deals as well.

If all continues on this path, I can't wait for Armstong to raid their cabinets with Binnington, Husso or Hofer this summer.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:04 am

Oh I know there are fans pissed at those guys. They could be better defensively, but you don't use a Ferrari to haul freight. They finally had some money to spend last summer, but they spent it poorly. They spent over $11M on Hyman and Keith, while continuing to count on Mike Smith (who was very good last year but is 83 years old and always hurt) and Koskinen, who has always sucked.

Hyman has been fine, but that money could've probably been spent elsewhere. Keith was a wild acquisition, as he's just not good anymore, and hasn't been in years. The top-heavy cap model can work (see Tampa and Pittsburgh), but you have to spend wisely at the middle and bottom (see Tampa and Pittsburgh again). Edmonton probably only has a few "bad" contracts, but are just getting 0 from their super cheap deals as well.

If all continues on this path, I can't wait for Armstong to raid their cabinets with Binnington, Husso or Hofer this summer.
I can't think of what we would want from Edmonton for one of our goaltenders. A young forward or picks are the only thing the Oilers have.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:04 am

I can't think of what we would want from Edmonton for one of our goaltenders. A young forward or picks are the only thing the Oilers have.
If they still have it after the season, a first round pick.