Blues two points back of Nashville

With two games in hand. The Blues pretty much hold their own destiny.

Question is, would you rather stay where we are at and play the Hawks in round one or finish first and possibly play the Kings?

Neither seems too inviting although I really don't mind either matchup. Gotta beat the best to be the best.

Re: Blues two points back of Nashville

I honestly just don't know. As I said over at the other forum, I don't want to play the Jets. Big win for them last night without Big Buff and Bryan Little. I hope they hold on...I want to see them in the playoffs. The Hawks without Kane...still not sure that's a matchup we want. I still think the Kings get in....probably still finish ahead of Calgary in the division and Minnesota has been on fire. One thing is for sure, if the Blues get past round one, they will have earned it no matter who they play.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Honestly, my dream scenario would be beating Chicago and LA anywhere in the first 3 rounds and win the Cup by beating Detroit. Remember I said it was a dream scenario. In reality, I just want the Blues to be the team that wins 16 games in the playoffs. Who it's against doesn't matter as much as the 16 victories do.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Finish first and possibly play the kings. The possibility of more home games means the possibility of more money. The only person on the kings that scares me is quick. He seems to find his world class game in the post season. In all honesty I just want to win a friggin series. I would love love love to beat both the kings and hawks and ducks on the way to the cup finals tho. Or you could throw the nucks in there too just for my severe dislike of them

The standings within the division are just tight enough that we may not even know until about the final week what place in the division might be the best for us to root to finish in....if there ends up being any that are better than others. My gut instinct is to want to win the division and secure how ice advantage. That doesn't always even matter, but it's still an advantage I can't help but want. But at this point, for example, we don't even know if the Hawks are going to finish 1st or 5th (gasp, am I dreaming too much) in our division, so how do we even root for a spot for us to finish to avoid them in the first round?

And honestly, the Blues should be able to beat the Hawks, especially without Kane. The Jets are an interesting team but they don't scare me yet. I think in the next few years they are going to be really good.

If I had to choose I wouldn't want to play the Kings. Quick is a difference maker and he's won before..and knowing our luck, Voynov will have his suspension lifted like two days before the regular season is over, ;)

If The Blues are fully healthy for the playoffs, they should be capable of beating The Kings, Hawks (without Kane), and any other NHL team. I'd rather they play Minnesota or Winnipeg first, but L.A. or Chicago (without Kane) in The 1st Round wouldn't be a disaster. The Blues were pretty competitive with those teams over the past 2 playoff series (just not quite having enough scoring power). Now, they score much more easily and naturally, with Tarasenko and Schwartz and Jaskin breaking out, and Stastny rounding into form. And they have a lot more depth and poise throughout the lineup. With Michalek and Bortuzzo, their defence should be somewhat tighter. I look forward to see them play with more confidence this season, and move their play up one gear, as all the very good teams do.

Robb_K wrote:If The Blues are fully healthy for the playoffs, they should be capable of beating The Kings, Hawks (without Kane), and any other NHL team. I'd rather they play Minnesota or Winnipeg first, but L.A. or Chicago (without Kane) in The 1st Round wouldn't be a disaster. The Blues were pretty competitive with those teams over the past 2 playoff series (just not quite having enough scoring power). Now, they score much more easily and naturally, with Tarasenko and Schwartz and Jaskin breaking out, and Stastny rounding into form. And they have a lot more depth and poise throughout the lineup. With Michalek and Bortuzzo, their defence should be somewhat tighter. I look forward to see them play with more confidence this season, and move their play up one gear, as all the very good teams do.
I think they can do it if they play their game, but being burned numerous times (speaking about these guys only) I guess I'll have to see it to believe it. I bought in a few years ago and then Stewart coasted into the 2nd intermission and Elliot allowed a shot from inside the line with .02 seconds left. Now I'm just bitter.

ledzeppelinfan1 wrote:Glad to see NSH finally coming back down to earth. They were beginning to really worry me. Turns out they're human after all.
I'll openly admit that back in January, I was one of the ones who assumed that they weren't planning to, and had my eyes firmly on the separation between the Blues and Hawks for home ice in a round one. Then, that crazy "and that's why they play the games" thing kicked in, and it turned back into an actual race. Maybe I shouldn't have expected anything less of the Central. heh

I would prefer the first overall (or even just division) finish, but regardless of where we finish I think the first round is going to be tough period. I think we have a team that can beat any of them though and would prefer to just get there healthy instead of killing ourselves trying to get first. More games like Sat night and less like some of our more recent play period.

NHLTIM wrote:I honestly just don't know. As I said over at the other forum, I don't want to play the Jets. Big win for them last night without Big Buff and Bryan Little. I hope they hold on...I want to see them in the playoffs. The Hawks without Kane...still not sure that's a matchup we want. I still think the Kings get in....probably still finish ahead of Calgary in the division and Minnesota has been on fire. One thing is for sure, if the Blues get past round one, they will have earned it no matter who they play.

No kidding. The way the jets pushed the kings around last weekend has me concerned about their physicality. Let some other team take the beating its going to take to take to get past them.

Personally, give me the Hawks in round 1 with home ice. Can you imagine the confidence boost and belief in the locker room if we win that series. Might be just the thing to push this team over the edge and straight to the finals. Unfortunately,Rangers and Habs in the East scare me alot right now too. Both great teams with excellent goal tending.

barnburner wrote:Given a choice, I'd rather face Chicago in the opening round. Not only is Kane missing, but you just know if the Kings get in, Quick is going to automatically revert to his all world form again. I'll take on Crawford anyday over Quick.

true that...and great to see you over here BB :)

Outside of the 'hawks in the shortened '13 season, when was the last time a President's Trophy winner won the Cup? I can't remember any since the full season lockout.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

NHLTIM wrote:I honestly just don't know. As I said over at the other forum, I don't want to play the Jets. Big win for them last night without Big Buff and Bryan Little. I hope they hold on...I want to see them in the playoffs. The Hawks without Kane...still not sure that's a matchup we want. I still think the Kings get in....probably still finish ahead of Calgary in the division and Minnesota has been on fire. One thing is for sure, if the Blues get past round one, they will have earned it no matter who they play.
If we can't beat the Jets we aren't going very far anyway. Just sayin'. I like them a lot, but we should be able to handle them in 5. Key word is "should":

Man in the box wrote:
If we can't beat the Jets we aren't going very far anyway. Just sayin'. I like them a lot, but we should be able to handle them in 5. Key word is "should":
I don't really care whom we face in the first round, the second round, the third round, or the Cup Finals.

I just think we should win.

The problem with hoping to avoid the Hawks in the first round is that you're pretty likely to get them in the second round. If Kane returns early, you could be facing them in the second round with Kane back -PLUS- the additions of Vermette and Timonen.

I've come to embrace the "I don't care who we play because we're going to have to beat everyone to win it all" mentality. So, who are we going to beat in Round 1.

:dancingbanana: [gratuitous dancing banana insert here]