NHL approves ads on jerseys

Sportico wrote:NHL Owners Approve Jersey Ads for 2022-23 Season

The National Hockey League is adding advertisements to its jerseys for the 2022-23 season, the latest major U.S. sports league to sell marketing space on player uniforms during games.

The NHL board of governors unanimously voted to approve the ad policy, according to a memo emailed this week to all 32 teams. Clubs are now free to start negotiating with potential partners, according to the memo, which was reviewed by Sportico.

The ads must fit a rectangle 3 inches by 3.5 inches, making them slightly bigger than the patches that the NBA added to its jerseys for the 2017-18 season. Representatives from the NHL didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

These won’t be the first advertisements to appears on NHL players. Starting last season that NHL allowed its teams to sell small ad space on their helmets, a move that opened new inventory for clubs to add partners (or accommodate existing ones) amid the revenue crunch of the pandemic. Commissioner Gary Bettman said teams retained more than $100 million through that program, which has since been extended.

Jersey ads, prevalent in pro sports around the world, have been less prominent in the U.S., though that is gradually changing. In addition to the NBA, the WNBA has ads on the front of its jerseys, and MLS has multiple spaces on its uniforms that teams can sell.

The jersey is especially valuable real estate for marketers, who benefit from a lot of TV exposure during games. For a long time the NBA wouldn’t even let Adidas, its jersey provider at the time, put its logo on the top of the uniforms, keeping that space solely for the league’s own marks.

The NBA’s recent patch program was estimated to boost revenues by $150 million annually. The individual team deals generally ranged from low seven figures to upwards of $20 million.
welp, here we go, continuing the funnel. i assume we can expect lower ticket prices now, right? or lower points of entry to subscription streaming services since there is this new source of revenue? fuck off with this garage league bullshit.

Re: NHL approves ads on jerseys

T.C. wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:06 pmwelp, here we go, continuing the funnel. i assume we can expect lower ticket prices now, right? or lower points of entry to subscription streaming services since there is this new source of revenue? fuck off with this garage league bullshit.
So when will the board name change to "Fuck Off News Forum," T.C.? Can we buy T-shirts? No ads, of course.

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:26 pm
T.C. wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:06 pmwelp, here we go, continuing the funnel. i assume we can expect lower ticket prices now, right? or lower points of entry to subscription streaming services since there is this new source of revenue? fuck off with this garage league bullshit.
So when will the board name change to "Fuck Off News Forum," T.C.? Can we buy T-shirts? No ads, of course.
I thought the new Forum name was going to be:

"Fans of BlUes hoCKey that don't live in CHICAGO"

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:34 pm Feels like something I would've cared deeply about years ago. Today I just don't care anymore. It was obviously coming since they've lost billions and billions of revenue dollars over the last 2 seasons.
Same here. This was inevitable. It sucks but it's the way of the world. I came to terms with this reality when half the teams (including the Blues) added Reebok-style piping to their uniforms.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:51 pm I wonder how productive this is for companies. They pay a lot of money to get a patch on something, but do people ever specifically buy their product because of it? It's like advertisement on the boards. Wonder what the ROI is
Will the Chinese knock-off jerseys have the American advertising on them, or will they have ads for Tai Pei frozen dinners in their place.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:51 pm I wonder how productive this is for companies. They pay a lot of money to get a patch on something, but do people ever specifically buy their product because of it? It's like advertisement on the boards. Wonder what the ROI is
It's hard to measure. It's more of a 'brand awareness campaign' so if the logo is Enterprise for example, and you are searching for a rental car, the hope is that you will choose Enterprise over a competitor because they support something you do. However, it is very hard to get real data and feedback on it's effectiveness, and honestly, the brands that will be spending the millions on these ads really don't care. It's just another medium to spend $ on that they can then write off as part of a cost of doing business.

PS: So as not to double post, totally agree with Dave and Inside; I used to care, but not so much anymore. I just want to watch hockey and don't care if they glow like a Vegas neon light in ads anymore.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

How many times in the last 5-7 years have you seen a company completely knee-jerk reaction fire someone because a vocal minority on twitter decided they said mean words, or had a picture from 20 years ago that the woke mafia decided was unacceptable? A fucking lot. And why do they do that? A lot of times because of advertisers. The woke mob pressuring advertisers to drop a person, or drop support of a company because of a person, is why the company just gets rid of the person. They are reliant on that ad revenue. In fact, i can’t think of one time where a company simply did nothing for 72h until the SJWs’ short attention span moved onto some other target.

Now, how many times have we seen in recent memory a player doing or saying “naughty” things where a team and/or the league has to come out and spin it until it goes away so the person can continue playing? How do you think that would go when the team/league is beholden to advertisers?

How would you feel when you see a company that is completely pandering to the woke mob, hopping on any social cause of the day to whore themselves out, with a patch on the Blues’ jerseys?

This is a dystopian nightmare for someone that just likes hockey. I predict you will all be on my side before the first season whoring teams out to advertising agencies is over.

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:34 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:26 pm
I thought the new Forum name was going to be:

"Fans of BlUes hoCKey that don't live in CHICAGO"
I second this.

T.C. wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:09 am How many times in the last 5-7 years have you seen a company completely knee-jerk reaction fire someone because a vocal minority on twitter decided they said mean words, or had a picture from 20 years ago that the woke mafia decided was unacceptable? A fucking lot. And why do they do that? A lot of times because of advertisers. The woke mob pressuring advertisers to drop a person, or drop support of a company because of a person, is why the company just gets rid of the person. They are reliant on that ad revenue. In fact, i can’t think of one time where a company simply did nothing for 72h until the SJWs’ short attention span moved onto some other target.

Now, how many times have we seen in recent memory a player doing or saying “naughty” things where a team and/or the league has to come out and spin it until it goes away so the person can continue playing? How do you think that would go when the team/league is beholden to advertisers?

How would you feel when you see a company that is completely pandering to the woke mob, hopping on any social cause of the day to whore themselves out, with a patch on the Blues’ jerseys?

This is a dystopian nightmare for someone that just likes hockey. I predict you will all be on my side before the first season whoring teams out to advertising agencies is over.
This will all be covered in the new John Carpenter movie....Escape From New Woke

T.C. wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:09 am How many times in the last 5-7 years have you seen a company completely knee-jerk reaction fire someone because a vocal minority on twitter decided they said mean words, or had a picture from 20 years ago that the woke mafia decided was unacceptable? A fucking lot. And why do they do that? A lot of times because of advertisers. The woke mob pressuring advertisers to drop a person, or drop support of a company because of a person, is why the company just gets rid of the person. They are reliant on that ad revenue. In fact, i can’t think of one time where a company simply did nothing for 72h until the SJWs’ short attention span moved onto some other target.

I'm here for the whoring. Dagnabbit.

I didn't realize these ads on jerseys were the first advertisements allowed in the NHL.
Last edited by Dave's a mess on Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Just think... someday in the near future, we can have the St Louis Enterprise vs. the Florida Hertz.... Or the Colorado Walmarts vs. the Minneapolis Targets.... how about the San Jose Apples vs. the Seattle Microsofts. They would all wear a 4" X 4" shoulder patch of their team's original logo, for sentimental and historical purposes.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:44 am I didn't realize these ads on jerseys were the first advertisements allowed in the NHL.
sure but having an ad on the sideboards or in an arena is different than having individual players directly representing a company, where highlight reels, in-game pics, etc., will all have a person with their logo on his uniform. at least that's my logic.

T.C. wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:29 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:44 am I didn't realize these ads on jerseys were the first advertisements allowed in the NHL.
sure but having an ad on the sideboards or in an arena is different than having individual players directly representing a company, where highlight reels, in-game pics, etc., will all have a person with their logo on his uniform. at least that's my logic.
I get it, but this won't change a thing. The ads have been on helmets already, and teams had already been under the thumb of advertisers for years. All this is going to do is throw a few more bucks into the revenue pot. Bettman had been very much opposed to this for a long time, but the pandemic was the final nail in the coffin for ad-free jerseys. Of course I'd prefer if they weren't there, but writing has been on the wall for some time, and I doubt we'll notice them after a month anyway.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!