Re: Non-Blues Offseason Trades/Signings/Rumors

BillP. wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:24 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:51 am Speaking of old guys hanging on for another year...
Yeah, he's done. Why sign this guy and take the spot of a kid? Stupid.
Because he's a top 5ish passer in NHL history. Shelter and limit his minutes and put him on the PP and you'll get plenty of value out of him. Florida is in win now mode.. He signed for the league minimum for God's sake.

Having said all that, fuck him.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Rumor has it that Phil Kessel is looking to get out of Phoenix, and San Jose seems like they'll do ANYTHING to get rid of Evander Kane (Though they seem to be also shopping Timo Meier).

Would you take any of them?

I think Timo Meier has 'power-forward' upside and is salvageable if he gets away from the current, dysfunctional San Jose locker room culture, but Kane seems like absolute poison (as much as I LOVE his on-ice game), even if he DIDN'T bet on NHL games as accused (which would get him barred from the league), and wouldn't mind Kessel, as a bit of a downgrade from Tarasenko, if he comes at the right price.

RAFritchey wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:41 pm Rumor has it that Phil Kessel is looking to get out of Phoenix, and San Jose seems like they'll do ANYTHING to get rid of Evander Kane (Though they seem to be also shopping Timo Meier).

I think Timo Meier has 'power-forward' upside and is salvageable if he gets away from the current, dysfunctional San Jose locker room culture, but Kane seems like absolute poison (as much as I LOVE his on-ice game), even if he DIDN'T bet on NHL games as accused (which would get him barred from the league), and wouldn't mind Kessel, as a bit of a downgrade from Tarasenko, if he comes at the right price.
Kessel has a lot of mileage on him now. Think I’d rather keep Tarasenko.

Kane’s career is fucked up to say the least.

Timo Meier would be a great get.

RAFritchey wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:41 pm Rumor has it that Phil Kessel is looking to get out of Phoenix, and San Jose seems like they'll do ANYTHING to get rid of Evander Kane (Though they seem to be also shopping Timo Meier).

I'm curious why they would be shopping Timo Meier.

BillP. wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:17 pm

Kessel has a lot of mileage on him now. Think I’d rather keep Tarasenko.

Kane’s career is fucked up to say the least.

Timo Meier would be a great get.
I'm assuming that Tarasenko is on his way out, regardless. Kessel could fill the 'low defense sniper' role, and between an outgoing Tarasenko trade and an incoming Kessel trade, hopefully we'd still have some other assets as well (even if it's just cap space)

BluesSK wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:40 pm

I'm curious why they would be shopping Timo Meier.
Earlier in the Summer, the speculation was that San Jose was desperate for cap space, and Meier was about the only player they thought they could move (even if they'd rather shed some bigger contracts, no one would take them). Since the Evander Kane stuff blew up, it sounds like Meier is one of the few guys on the team that gets along with Kane, so who knows if that's a factor or not. IMHO, if we can get him for cheap, by all means we should!

RAFritchey wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:20 pm Carolina sends an offer sheet to Montreal's Jesperi Kotkaniemi, 1 year @ $6.1 mil, with a $20.00 signing bonus. #20 is the number of Carolina's Sebastien Aho, whom Montreal sent an offer sheet to two years ago. Some grade-A cat-fighting going on between the two teams!
Delicious, petty, potential to backfire on any and all parties involved...it's everything I want in a late August NHL story.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:00 pm
RAFritchey wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:20 pm Carolina sends an offer sheet to Montreal's Jesperi Kotkaniemi, 1 year @ $6.1 mil, with a $20.00 signing bonus. #20 is the number of Carolina's Sebastien Aho, whom Montreal sent an offer sheet to two years ago. Some grade-A cat-fighting going on between the two teams!
Screw the contract, just give me the twenty dollars.
Carolina has Poutine, yes???

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:04 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:41 pm Supposedly Hertl is pissed and wants out of SJ. One year at $5.6M left before UFA. GIT ER DONE, LEERY!
I'm beginning to think that not all of San Jose's problems revolve around Evander Kane (Though his gambling addiction surely isn't helping matters).
Supposedly part of what Hertl is pissed about is that Kane is still around. It's all speculative anyway, but yeah they have issues far beyond Kane too. Their capfriendly page is like a murder scene.